Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School dinners. What are your memories?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Junior school, not bad, I always hung around for second

Secondary was horrendous, Thatcher the milk snatcher outsourced to the lowest and it was chips with processed meat proper 3rd world. The nations health today is her legacy..

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Was gen OK with school dinners at junior school, the exceptions would be evil spam fritters and an overfried donut ball with jam sauce on it. Liked butterscotch tart but didn't like custard, which I was able to refuse and they didn't pour it on.

Secondry school was prettyy gash untill 14ish when started going up the pub or of to have a spliff.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Primary school/juniors I hated school dinners especially the minced beef and onion pie...YUCK...the smash potatoes and the diced carrots/swede...

Secondary school...lovely. Pizza and chips every day for 5 years.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I'm 43 and I am still subjected to school lunches! To be fair, Korean lunches are relatively ok, some kimchi and rice, soup, some veggies, fruit and a fishy/meaty mulch that I decline. There's only 2/3 lunches I dread, one is their take on spaghetti that tastes like worms with ketchup and the other is a Korean version of Chinese food called Jjajang myeon which is like tarmac on noodles.
Miss the puddings tho'. Coconut custard tart c'mon..........

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Chips and scraps at the Model Fish Fryer.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Never been myself but reading the reviews it sounds right up my street.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Patcham junior & senior school in the 1950's, awful meats served covered in thick, burnt gravy like substance. Everything scraped out of aluminium trays. Being made to sit there and eat everything has to this very day made me unable to face swede, parsnips, beetroot & turnip. Managed to escape from them by the time I was 13 and then walked over to Patcham village and 'Toms' for Tizer & sweets!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Crates of those mini bottles of milk at junior school, always off in the summer and frozen in the winter ???

Ha ha. When I was at St Wilfreds infants/junior school in Haywards Heath, I remember the milk was either a Unigate or CO-OP (I think) bottle and for some reason there was always a bundle to get the Unigate bottles. :lolol:

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Primary School - Bananas and custard was baaaad. Cant look at a banana now ???:moo::eek::sick: Any other pudding made with milk was fine by me
Secondary school seem to remember living off of chips and beans.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
:) Pretty sure all of ours were Unigate, I was at Patcham Junior school

Ha ha. When I was at St Wilfreds infants/junior school in Haywards Heath, I remember the milk was either a Unigate or CO-OP (I think) bottle and for some reason there was always a bundle to get the Unigate bottles. :lolol:

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Spam fritters, with double their weight in grease, accompanied with watery mash served up from an ice-cream scoop. I used to love the puddings, always seemed to be lots of variety in different colored custards throughout the week.
Luckily for me my Auntie was a dinner lady so I got off lightly.

This is my exact first thought, minus the auntie bit

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
As I read this thread, I'm singing what we used to sing to the tune of Out of Town:

Say what you will,
School dinners make you ill,
And Davy Crockett died of shepherd's pie
Our school din-dins come from pig bins
Out of town

As to what we ate, the colour pink stands out in my memory: semolina and custard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here