Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School dinners. What are your memories?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Primary School - food was good (brought down from the village secondary school) but the the Head's utter witch of a wife was in charge of the dinner hall. Lots of 'all of you, hands on heads' moments, and sitting until you'd 'finished all your greens'. Banana Custard lives in the memory.

Secondary school - marvellous, nothing but good memories. Great choice of stuff, knew a lot of the dinner ladies (small village, friends of my parents etc) so always good chatter and looked after well. I was a fat kid.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Junior School - paper thin slices of Turkey with the worst roast ever. Toffee pudding. Milkshakes.

Senior School - Pizza. Chicken burgers. Beef Burgers. Pizza. Chicken Burgers. Beef Burgers.

When you think about it, it's no wonder we've got such a problem with obesity is it!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We didn't have school dinners at my junior school (St Nicks). The school dinners at the grammar were ok, but although I love custard, it had a horrible tang to it. I think they used sterilised milk or something.
I wasn't keen on blancmange either, whatever flavour it was.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Junior School - paper thin slices of Turkey with the worst roast ever. Toffee pudding. Milkshakes.

Senior School - Pizza. Chicken burgers. Beef Burgers. Pizza. Chicken Burgers. Beef Burgers.

When you think about it, it's no wonder we've got such a problem with obesity is it!

At secondary school we could choose as well. I had chips and baked beans for lunch every day for five years. Hove was a lot less multi cultural in those days and we had one Asian kid in the whole year who was from Bangladesh, and whose family ran the excellent Curry Mahal. We got him on to chips and beans every day too. I've only just thought that was probably because it was the only vegetarian option.

Chips and beans was also CHEAP so I saved my change, along with my paper round money to buy 10 Bensons.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I used to like the chicken with the toast in white sauce at Queens Park.

Brighton College was a whole new ball game though, suckling pig, pheasant casserole, fillet steak all washed down with some decent saint emillion.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Remember I used to hate both rice pudding and semolina, they'd be served with either a few chocolate sprinkles or a tiny bit of jam in the middle as if that made the rest of the bowl taste any better.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Wouldn't go near the actual meals at any school, thankfully I was made packed lunch for Junior school so I didn't have to.

During the later years of senior school I started to take some money in instead and partook of chips, sausage rolls and a number of sweet things, the actual quantity of which would've utterly horrified my parents if they'd known.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't recall much except for these things they called "spare ribs". It was a corrugated piece of processed "meat" about the size and shape of a size 4 shoe sole thinly covered in some approximation of barbeque sauce. No bones or anything just the processed flap of "meat". For some reason they were bloody lovely.

at Moulsecoomb in the 70s we used to throw the plastic cups at other tables and across the hall etc so from then on we wernt allowed a drink with our dinner, in fact I recall drinking very little even during the summer of 76 as the water fountain rarely worked nor the taps in the bog (you wouldn't drink out of them anyway even as a kid)

At Falmer the poor kids like me used to get a free dinner ticket to the value of 45p, 3x 15p portion of chips and its job done. No wonder I'm the fine figure of a man I turned out to be.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I still shudder when I think of Bacon Pudding. Slimy rashers in a suet roll. Brrr!!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Spam fritters, with double their weight in grease, accompanied with watery mash served up from an ice-cream scoop. I used to love the puddings, always seemed to be lots of variety in different colored custards throughout the week.
Luckily for me my Auntie was a dinner lady so I got off lightly.

Must admit, I loved spam fritters. As a guilty treat I sometimes still have them!

[YT]anwy2MPT5RE[/YT]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Same here. At junior school it was trad school dinners but secondary it was canteen where we chose.....so we spent 5/6 years eating chips, sausages and burgers.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I used to like the chicken with the toast in white sauce at Queens Park.

Brighton College was a whole new ball game though, suckling pig, pheasant casserole, fillet steak all washed down with some decent saint emillion.

The catering at Lancing, for the money being paid, always left a lot to be desired.

The breakfasts were not too bad though.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Good:

Chicken fricassee.
Rosehip syrup.
Beefburgers that used to separate in the middle like pitta bread - forming a kind of beef and onion pocket. :mad:

Bad:

Liver. :sick:
Fish fingers with black bits in.
Goulash.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
more chips and bean here, but with sausage roll too. when a bit older i went to the "salad bar" for the pizza option, mostly because it was cheaper iirc so you could save some money for sweets and ciggies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here