Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Scathing review of Brighton

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think the police should get in touch with the author of this letter and get a statement out of her. Then possibly follow it up with a few questions about why she didn't report these crimes as they were "happening"?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
the roads are more pothole than surface at the moment and you can't move in any direction without being stopped by roadworks.

Are the roadworks needed for repairing the potholes, by any chance?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Christ where were they staying!? That is the biggest load of shyte I've ever read.

I've never been a victim of crime in the city and I don't know one person who ever has been - fortunately. Never seen prostitition, and never seen anyone openly carrying a weapon.

Also have never been openly offered drugs on the street, and dont know anyone who ever has been. And I'm frequently out and about round town of an evening and not that old.
Blimey really? It used to be a daily occurrence on the seafront in ~2006. With several young lads stood there shouting "coke, pills" all day long. Perhaps not anymore though..

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Many parts of Brighton are an embarrassment, particularly the main thoroughfares. The first thing the Council needs to tackle is the graffiti. Have teams ready to remove it the moment it appears. Secondly, board up empty shops with attractive-looking false fronts so that the shopping streets don't look so derelict. And thirdly remove all the blankets, mattresses and other crap left by the homeless. I would love to walk around Brighton with the Chief Executive of the Council and ask him why more isn't done to make the city look attractive again.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm assuming she went to Brighton, Michigan.

It's almost as if she was actively looking for things to moan about. I do not recognise this as Brighton, England.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Not quite as cutting as the "filthy drug den" etc from years ago but still quite a read. I wonder if their hotel was on West Street?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/182...qPuqbYKb67nqJhtDdPecio4OmTt52_FxZ5LC0FPH_tvOU

Edit - for the record I can't envisage these events happened as stated.

I've lived in the centre of town for 25 years and not once have I been mugged, offered a prostitute, or had my property damaged. I've never seen an electronic tag in my life, and have only seen two or three shoplifting 'events' in the time I've lived here.

Is this woman the unluckiest tourist in history? Or a massive bullsh*tter?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Papers will literally publish anything now, true or otherwise so I don't think we should be surprised.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Many parts of Brighton are an embarrassment, particularly the main thoroughfares. The first thing the Council needs to tackle is the graffiti. Have teams ready to remove it the moment it appears. Secondly, board up empty shops with attractive-looking false fronts so that the shopping streets don't look so derelict. And thirdly remove all the blankets, mattresses and other crap left by the homeless. I would love to walk around Brighton with the Chief Executive of the Council and ask him why more isn't done to make the city look attractive again.

Sorry but I have to disagree about the graffiti. There are some fantastic pieces of street art in Brighton. The Prince Albert, Alice in Wonderland in the Lanes and many other examples around town that really brighten the place up. The cable boxes are bright and cheerful and sometimes humourous.

In Worthing we have the Rebel Romeo who graffitis the cable boxes with witty, romantic artwork and the Council then spends money painting them over with that horrible green paint.

Now tagging is a different matter altogether. That requires no skill whatsoever. It is vandalism. But if the OB don't deal with burglaries or low level assaults any more they are hardly going to be arsed to go after the taggers that do make the place look shit.

I fail to understand why the London Road pavements are being widen to the extent that they are. I can only assume that it is to accommodate all the homeless tents. I don't understand why they need to camp out on the main streets when there are open spaces where they could pitch that doesn't impact on visitors and businesses. The Council should be more pro-active in clearing the centre of this "clutter".

The Council could do so much more for the homeless. There are numerous empty buildings in the City that the Council could purchase and provide basic shelter for the homeless. They would then have no excuse to be out on the streets.

Although I have to live in Worthing now I still go to Brighton most weekends. It's my hometown and I love it. Mostly I just wander about and the mythical, fantastical Brighton that the good Dr (who appears not to exist according to Google) describes is clearly a figment of her imagination. Nothing about that story rings true. If drugs and prostitutes were available on every street corner I'm sure I would have come across it by now!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Well, that is not the city that I know.... What makes this German tourist an authority on the workings of Brighton Council.?
The Argus will print anything for click- bait.

I will grant you the scruffy streets and homeless vagrants, but not the rest.

Question, would a real foreign tourist know where to find the local paper? Or care enough to write?

P.S.. 're street art, don't forget our mural...El Capitan....

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's my hometown and I love it. Mostly I just wander about and the mythical, fantastical Brighton that the good Dr (who appears not to exist according to Google) describes is clearly a figment of her imagination. Nothing about that story rings true. If drugs and prostitutes were available on every street corner I'm sure I would have come across it by now!

Are you saying you've never come across a prostitute?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, that is not the city that I know.... What makes this German tourist an authority on the workings of Brighton Council.?
The Argus will print anything for click- bait.

I will grant you the scruffy streets and homeless vagrants, but not the rest.

Question, would a real foreign tourist know where to find the local paper? Or care enough to write?

P.S.. 're street art, don't forget our mural...El Capitan....

It must be a spoof letter. The Argus doesn’t do any due-diligence on the letters page. Remember all those letters from names of dead cyclists? A friend of mine sent in a spoof letter which veered off at the end onto something completely unrelated and the “sender” was a related anagram. They printed it.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Brighton is a shithole and quite frankly an embarrassment to the good county of Sussex

My take on it is that Brighton has suffered badly from local government funding cuts which have resulted in it's current scruffiness. It has attracted more than its fair share of rough sleepers but homelessness is a national issue and you see it in every city. However, despite it currently looking rough around the edges Brighton is still offers what I want as a place to live: good pubs, live music and comedy, varied restaurants, 2 decent cinemas, independent shops, a football club, Gammon in the minority.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Sorry but I have to disagree about the graffiti. There are some fantastic pieces of street art in Brighton. The Prince Albert, Alice in Wonderland in the Lanes and many other examples around town that really brighten the place up. The cable boxes are bright and cheerful and sometimes humourous.

In Worthing we have the Rebel Romeo who graffitis the cable boxes with witty, romantic artwork and the Council then spends money painting them over with that horrible green paint.

Now tagging is a different matter altogether. That requires no skill whatsoever. It is vandalism. But if the OB don't deal with burglaries or low level assaults any more they are hardly going to be arsed to go after the taggers that do make the place look shit.

I fail to understand why the London Road pavements are being widen to the extent that they are. I can only assume that it is to accommodate all the homeless tents. I don't understand why they need to camp out on the main streets when there are open spaces where they could pitch that doesn't impact on visitors and businesses. The Council should be more pro-active in clearing the centre of this "clutter".

The Council could do so much more for the homeless. There are numerous empty buildings in the City that the Council could purchase and provide basic shelter for the homeless. They would then have no excuse to be out on the streets.

Although I have to live in Worthing now I still go to Brighton most weekends. It's my hometown and I love it. Mostly I just wander about and the mythical, fantastical Brighton that the good Dr (who appears not to exist according to Google) describes is clearly a figment of her imagination. Nothing about that story rings true. If drugs and prostitutes were available on every street corner I'm sure I would have come across it by now!

Many people use "graffiti" as a catch-all, but what they really mean is tagging which is currently out of control in Brighton while the council sits on its hands...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My take on it is that Brighton has suffered badly from local government funding cuts which have resulted in it's current scruffiness. It has attracted more than its fair share of rough sleepers but homelessness is a national issue and you see it in every city. However, despite it currently looking rough around the edges Brighton is still offers what I want as a place to live: good pubs, live music and comedy, varied restaurants, 2 decent cinemas, independent shops, a football club, Gammon in the minority.

Brighton isn't currently scruffy.

Part of it's 'charm' is that it's always been scruffy, which in turn is now the problem.
One man's shabby chic is another man's shithole.

I'll hazard a guess those, rightly, championing Brighton are unable to see the city for what it is.
Preferring to either look past the decay, congestion, noise, grime and complete lack of 'love', or just wave it off as 'oh that's just Brighton'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brighton isn't currently scruffy.

Part of it's 'charm' is that it's always been scruffy, which in turn is now the problem.
One man's shabby chic is another man's shithole.

I'll hazard a guess those, rightly, championing Brighton are unable to see the city for what it is.
Preferring to either look past the decay, congestion, noise, grime and complete lack of 'love', or just wave it off as 'oh that's just Brighton'.

Marine Parade is falling to bits which is worse than scruffy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
However, despite it looking rough around the edges Brighton is still offers what I want as a place to live: good pubs, live music and comedy, varied restaurants, 2 decent cinemas, independent shops, a football club, Gammon in the minority.

Pretty good summary, that.

Marine Parade is falling to bits which is worse than scruffy.

This too, though. That is a scandal.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
I don't understand why they need to camp out on the main streets when there are open spaces where they could pitch that doesn't impact on visitors and businesses.

Sadly, sleeping rough in a secluded spot means you're more likely to get battered and robbed. 'Visible' is safest.

I agree about the empty buildings though - there is no excuse!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Went through London road area earlier on for the first time in bloody ages, what a disgrace it’s turned into down there. Worse than it was before it that’s even possible :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here