Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scam Calls from 'Microsoft'

Very. I work as a broadcast engineer at the moment, having a sound basis in audio processing (and I used to work for BT, although that probably reduces the value of anything!).

Cheap IP voice circuits, as being used for this kind of work, carry voice frequencies and voice frequencies alone; usually a vocoder codec that simply does not carry anything that's not likely to be a voice. They aren't going to hear a whistle as you hear it; nor will they hear it at the volume you're hearing it. You're likely damaging yourself more than there was any chance of doing anything to them.

Oh.

How very annoying.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I just tell them that I'm sitting here with nothing on, ask them what they are wearing whilst doing a bit of heavy breathing. Never got to the stage where I start ooh and aahing though, as by this time they have put the phone down

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Very. I work as a broadcast engineer at the moment, having a sound basis in audio processing (and I used to work for BT, although that probably reduces the value of anything!).

Cheap IP voice circuits, as being used for this kind of work, carry voice frequencies and voice frequencies alone; usually a vocoder codec that simply does not carry anything that's not likely to be a voice. They aren't going to hear a whistle as you hear it; nor will they hear it at the volume you're hearing it. You're likely damaging yourself more than there was any chance of doing anything to them.

You just know we are all going to test the theory now-

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've never had a call from this kind of thing :(

I'd much rather this than an automated PPI message. At least I can have fun with this - maybe if I do get one I'll act so ignorant about computers that it prompts an IT Crowd-esque "Sorry, are you from the past?"

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
You have absolutely no idea of their circumstances, for all you know they aren't aware they are working for an illegitimate organisation.

You should probably be more concerned that inflicting pain or harm upon another human being satisfies you like that.

If somebody was trying to mug you in the street , would you be nice and polite to them or ( assuming you are bigger than they are and they are not tooled up )

Would you beat the crap out of them ?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't find satisfaction in harming other people, even those who have wronged me. There are lots of bad people, scammers and thieves being examples, but violence solves nothing.

Never rule it out,it could save you life one day,especially if you find yourself a victim of it to begin with-keep an open mind..keep it in your locker and never forget it's there.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
My parents were plagued with this calls a few years back until i took a call one day. apparently telling them i was going to track them down and beat the living daylights out of them and inflict alot of pain on them in the process was not acceptable behaviour acording to the operator on the other end of the phone.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Had one of these call up at Work (Co-op). He asked to speak to the owner, and when I told him it was a SHOP, he proceeded to tell me that he needed to access the computer. After telling him 4 times that we don't have access to the internet, and asking who he was working for, he swiftly hung up.

Looking forward to getting a phone call from these guys in the future, I think I could have some fun...

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Having now retired and being at home more, I probably get 4 scam calls at least each day. I normally have the time to play them along a bit now, and they end up putting the phone down - though one foreign female ended it with a well-spoken "f*** off, you *******, f*** off".
Probably not Microsoft but other scammers have your name, number (obviously) AND ADDRESS. If I was really obnoxious/crude/threatening/personal is there the risk of them doing a "Jamie" on me?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Having now retired and being at home more, I probably get 4 scam calls at least each day. I normally have the time to play them along a bit now, and they end up putting the phone down - though one foreign female ended it with a well-spoken "f*** off, you *******, f*** off".
Probably not Microsoft but other scammers have your name, number (obviously) AND ADDRESS. If I was really obnoxious/crude/threatening/personal is there the risk of them doing a "Jamie" on me?

Ask you phone company to change your phone number,use caller ID,golden rule really is as in all situations,never get involved in conversation.

Why invite pressure..

Note call times as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here