Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scam Calls from 'Microsoft'

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think it's the latter. On a couple of the ones I've received I first speak to one of the call staff, then I get transferred to a techy, then I get transferred to someone for payment. It obviously works, so why would they be a team of a couple of people - they must have plenty of staff ringing round the whole country.

You get transferred to someone for payment????, don't do it!!!!! don't do it!!!!! lol

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I've had a couple saying my computer has a virus and they can see that from their "system".
They ask me to boot up my computer and go on to some dodgy website (presumably to give them money).

I tell them my computer is slow and takes 20 minutes to boot up. I once left them on the end of the phone for 15 minutes waiting whilst I made dinner. Came back and they were still there waiting.
Told them I work for Microsoft (I don't) and they hung up immediately.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Prosecution or no prosecution those ****ers would get a rather loud rape alarm go off in their ears if they try this on me. Parasitic wankers can all go to hell and no I don't care that it was the only job they could get.... Employee or the owner they are are criminals in my book

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Am never rude to the person on the end of the phone, they're just trying to earn a few quid. If not busy or cooking or something, will get passed up the line where wrath can be aimed more precisely.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I use caller display-if it's number withheld i chose to answer,99% of the time i don't,if i do and the person on the other end,claims to be from a legitimate organisation,red flag..why with hold the number?

Best answer, and applies to all junk calls.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I often get these calls and I have tried numerous methods to either get rid of them or cheese them off enough so they never call back. However, nothing ever really works for long as I am sure there are several groups of scammers trying it on. The TPS system has failed me massively as the callers always say that it does not apply to international callers.
Also I still get loads of " Silent " calls whereby there are more numbers dialled than scammers on duty and so if answered you hear a few clunks and you may get someone speak after a few seconds or absolute silence if they are all busy. I fear there is no end to it.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I don't get many, but I just tell them to 'hang on a sec' and put the phone down, put on the radio next to it, and leave 'em to it. Go back a while later and disconnect the call:)
Although the sales call at 7.00am one Sunday morning got some choice words!!:eek:

Chances are the ****ers responsible aren't on the phones and you are just attempting to damage the ears of someone who is just doing their shitty minimum wage job.

and the problem is ?

This.

These people are scamming vulnerable people, normally the elderly, who don't understand how it all works and place trust in the caller.

There is zero chance the caller him/herself thinks they are working for a legitimate organisation.

I'll keep blowing my whistle in the hope I do someone damage when they are trying to rob me of hard earned legitimate money.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
always a good one to get a young relative and tell them a superheros on the phone... seems to do the trick :thumbsup:

or just play rick astley down the phone

Chances are the ****ers responsible aren't on the phones and you are just attempting to damage the ears of someone who is just doing their shitty minimum wage job.

You have absolutely no idea of their circumstances, for all you know they aren't aware they are working for an illegitimate organisation.

You should probably be more concerned that inflicting pain or harm upon another human being satisfies you like that.

Microsoft phone scam: how it works

Scammer calls you, and asks for you by name. They say they are a computer security expert from Microsoft (or another legitimate tech company). The 'security expert' is plausible and polite, but officious. They say that your PC or laptop has been infected with malware, and that they can help you solve the problem. What happens now depends on the particular strain of scam with which you have been targeted.

Yep, I'm sure they have no idea that they are trying to scam you, especially when they ask you for your bank details.

And yes, I take a great deal of pleasure knowing I may have done harm to anyone trying to thieve off me.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
You have absolutely no idea of their circumstances, for all you know they aren't aware they are working for an illegitimate organisation.

Yeah, I'm sure that think they are working for Microsoft, a company with assets of over $140billion and 127,000 employees. They must wonder about the basement office in Croydon though.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I dont understand how they get the numbers,....I have a phone in my office that I have NEVER given the number to anyone its used for outgoing only, but daily I receive up to 4-5 PPI calls, all recorded no persons on the line...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'll keep blowing my whistle in the hope I do someone damage when they are trying to rob me of hard earned legitimate money.

You're wasting your time and your breath. They won't hear the damaging frequencies if anything at all, as they purely don't get sent over telephony.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
How sure are you of that?

Very. I work as a broadcast engineer at the moment, having a sound basis in audio processing (and I used to work for BT, although that probably reduces the value of anything!).

Cheap IP voice circuits, as being used for this kind of work, carry voice frequencies and voice frequencies alone; usually a vocoder codec that simply does not carry anything that's not likely to be a voice. They aren't going to hear a whistle as you hear it; nor will they hear it at the volume you're hearing it. You're likely damaging yourself more than there was any chance of doing anything to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here