Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Scaffolding

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Thanks Brexit!!!

Wow and to think you get irritated when people put concept kits onto the new kit thread 🤔😂

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Generally the roughest bunch of blokes in construction, then groundworkers, then brickies and their labourers, then plasterer, chippies and sparks usually almost civilised. Plumbers a mixed bunch and painters usually stoned, or just high on the fumes.

I was a brickie, but with a sparkie level of civility. It took a while, but I have stopped swearing in every sentence since I quit the trowel.
This is all very true.

There used to be (early 2000s) a gang of scaffolders who drank in the Exchange pub in Hove. Nasty bunch - on one occasion they dragged the assistant manager across the bar and beat the sh|t out of him because he wouldn't put on their choice of music. They were always on the sniff...

When I did labouring (summer job) on building sites 25 years or so ago, I worked with a painter who was stoned EVERY day. He was a rasta to be fair and a lovely bloke to boot. :wave: to Dave L if you're reading :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I worked with a painter who was stoned EVERY day. He was a rasta to be fair and a lovely bloke to boot.
All well and good until you find the white walls you wanted are psychedelic multicolored swirls.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is all very true.

There used to be (early 2000s) a gang of scaffolders who drank in the Exchange pub in Hove. Nasty bunch - on one occasion they dragged the assistant manager across the bar and beat the sh|t out of him because he wouldn't put on their choice of music. They were always on the sniff...

When I did labouring (summer job) on building sites 25 years or so ago, I worked with a painter who was stoned EVERY day. He was a rasta to be fair and a lovely bloke to boot. :wave: to Dave L if you're reading :)

AKA Banksy

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
I’m constantly surrounded by scaffolding going up and down. One walked across my garden fence (which has a narrow top) with a beer in one hand and a fag in the other the other day. No top on, trainers. No safety gear. Set up a speaker system, and played awful music all day….lots of moving stuff around and shouting. They also enjoy double parking across three parking spaces too.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
My father was a scaffolder through the late 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. He died in his bed in 2018, aged 93. I have a picture of him standing on some scaffolding about 50ft up in the City of London, wearing ordinary shoes and without a safety harness in sight, laughing and joking with his colleagues, ciggy hanging out of his mouth.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Being in the construction industry all my life, I’ve come across some real characters. One was a scaffolder, a giant of a man who had a really attractive petite wife. I asked him how the hell did he manage that and he replied “I’ve only got a tiny cock but I’ve got 22 stone to push it in with”

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Being in the construction industry all my life, I’ve come across some real characters. One was a scaffolder, a giant of a man who had a really attractive petite wife. I asked him how the hell did he manage that and he replied “I’ve only got a tiny cock but I’ve got 22 stone to push it in with”
I’m currently working with a Scouse plumber a lovely guy although he’s overweight and absolutely nothing to look at. His wife on the other hand is drop dead gorgeous he said he went to Brighton for the day a while back his wife went for a swim and he noticed a bunch of blokes staring at her when she came walking back up the beach. When she went back to their spot and gave him a kiss he said they started clapping him 🤣

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Had bargeboards replaced recently. The apex is really high. Saw these feet leaping from ladder to ladder from upstairs window. No scaffolding. I’d be hugging a ladder at that height at best.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Worked for a large company years ago on Asbestos Projects (Amongst all the other Environmental gubbbins we got up to).

Sequence was back then:

1. Survey building for ACMs - Asbestos Containing Materials
2. Usually be instructed to supervise the ACMs being removed by a licensed contractor, this may well have involved us vetting them then monitoring the work.
3. Even scaffolders building stuff inside work areas need Asbestos licenses so we would ask for details of who be doing the job in their Method Statement
4. The job was inside a Prison and HMP asked us to stick in a fairly novel clause to our pre-start paperwork which essentially was - Has anyone taking part in the intended project have a criminal record?
5.. HMP must have known more that we did, probably 7 or 8 Companies were rejected before we came to one that didn't. Visiting site they may not have had convictions yet but most looked like they were on remand!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks Brexit!!!

I was about to mention her, without turning it into a Brexit thread.

Wouldn't happen in Germa...

Oh. :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This place melts down anything non pc . Spend a day with these lads . Real Britain in
Many respects
My BRAIN melts down reading this post!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Generally the roughest bunch of blokes in construction, then groundworkers, then brickies and their labourers, then plasterer, chippies and sparks usually almost civilised. Plumbers a mixed bunch and painters usually stoned, or just high on the fumes.

I was a brickie, but with a sparkie level of civility. It took a while, but I have stopped swearing in every sentence since I quit the trowel.
Close...

Attachments

• Builders weekend.jpg
    Builders weekend.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 403

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
One of my cousins has run a scaffolding firm for the last 30 years and my son (who likes to think he is fit) took a summer job when at University a few years back, loading and unloading scaffolding into trucks to earn some good money. He lasted 2 weeks. I took great delight in telling him I lasted longer than that at his age as a hoddie :lolol:
I thought the whole point of going to University was so that you don’t have to take manual jobs like that to earn a living !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here