Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Scaffolding

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What’s the life expectancy for this profession?

I’m having my breakfast and watching some guys out of the window erect scaffolding up the front of a 5 story building. It’s going up quickly but they don’t seem to have any safety gear (or fear for that matter). Lots of carrying of planks and poles up ladders and fixing and tightening stuff but no harnesses or anything.

It’s amazing how quick they work as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Different breed these lads, absolutely no fear, safety gear is occasionally wearing boots instead of Reebok’s :smile:
These guys are wearing boots. They also have gloves.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I had a company putting up scaffolding next to my shop. Zero health & safety to myself or any pedestrians. Cant remember who I called, someone at the council I think. Anyway they arrived and shut them down straight away. Scaffolders returned a few days later fully equiped with all h&s gear.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
One of my cousins has run a scaffolding firm for the last 30 years and my son (who likes to think he is fit) took a summer job when at University a few years back, loading and unloading scaffolding into trucks to earn some good money. He lasted 2 weeks. I took great delight in telling him I lasted longer than that at his age as a hoddie :lolol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Generally the roughest bunch of blokes in construction, then groundworkers, then brickies and their labourers, then plasterer, chippies and sparks usually almost civilised. Plumbers a mixed bunch and painters usually stoned, or just high on the fumes.

I was a brickie, but with a sparkie level of civility. It took a while, but I have stopped swearing in every sentence since I quit the trowel.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Generally the roughest bunch of blokes in construction, then groundworkers, then brickies and their labourers, then plasterer, chippies and sparks usually almost civilised. Plumbers a mixed bunch and painters usually stoned, or just high on the fumes.

I was a brickie, but with a sparkie level of civility. It took a while, but I have stopped swearing in every sentence since I quit the trowel.

My cousin's wife was in charge of arranging the Xmas do every year for their company. One rule she told me from experience, never EVER book them into somewhere that has another scaffolding company holding their Xmas do at the same time. Absolute Carnage :lolol:

A couple more of my family are ground workers, it was just me that was totally useless on the trades. That was how I ended up in IT :wink:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here