Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Scaffolding

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Generally the roughest bunch of blokes in construction, then groundworkers, then brickies and their labourers, then plasterer, chippies and sparks usually almost civilised. Plumbers a mixed bunch and painters usually stoned, or just high on the fumes.

I was a brickie, but with a sparkie level of civility. It took a while, but I have stopped swearing in every sentence since I quit the trowel.
Having worked in the building trade for 50 years, I have to disagree.
Roof tilers are the roughest, with scaffolders taking runners up spot.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Painting really is about the only trade with plastering that you can get a bit stoned doing. I glossed a window once twenty minutes after I’d glossed it previously and was wondering why the paint was so sticky and dragging.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I must add that electricians are often drama queens.
I love the banter between trades. It’s very popular front of judea, but you all love each other really. When had my house made over it was like I’d invited a troupe of travelling comedians in. Did a great job too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
builders-weekend-jpg.162627

That is EXACTLY what the NSC plumbers gang claim :wink:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I used to work to work in Hove, during that time close by two scaffolders died from falls. One where a vandal undid a key bolt to a cradle overnight, which killed a worker the next day, another where a guy fell five floors.
Are you sure it was scaffolders who died? Sounds more likely other trades using the scaffold rather than the scaffolders.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you sure it was scaffolders who died? Sounds more likely other trades using the scaffold rather than the scaffolders.

Austin Cradles - one of their guys died mid 90’s due to the vandalism.

The second incident I think was a scaffolder, fell to his death on concrete behind a building I call Centrepoint cameras.

Pre internet.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I must add that electricians are often drama queens.
If I see one drop of paint or plaster over my tools my toys are flying out the pram, apart from that I don’t know what you mean 🤣

On-site today the painter and plumber were having an in-depth conversation about girls tits I mean ffs the painter can’t do a days work with out a four pack on the go and probably can’t recall when he last touched a girls tit if at all 😂🤣

As for scaffolders one degree above freezing and the T-shirts are off and walk around like some kind of weird bird with their chests puffed out. Dewalt radio blaring out shit dance music in the middle of the day. Have some thought for the LBC listening sparks will you 🤣😃

Last edited:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
If I see one drop of paint or plaster over my tools my toys are flying out the pram, apart from that I don’t know what you mean 🤣

On-site today the painter and plumber were having an in-depth conversation about girls tits I mean ffs the painter can’t do a days work with out a four pack on the go and probably can’t recall when he last touched a girls tit if at all 😂🤣

As for scaffolders one degree above freezing and the T-shirts are off and walk around like some kind of weird bird with their chests puffed out. Dewalt radio blaring out shit dance music in the middle of the day. Have some thought for the LBC listening sparks will you 🤣😃
Oh thats a rarity .. it's always Robert Elms on BBC London, Radio 6 with Mary Ann Hobbs ('What an amazing Fusion of ballet and Rock..':rolleyes:) or Smooth Radio.. All the the while you are shuffling around in your brogues with worlds tiniest work bag.. so you dont have to carry a dustpan and brush..!

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Having worked in the building trade for 50 years, I have to disagree.
Roof tilers are the roughest, with scaffolders taking runners up spot.
I have scaffolding every 10 years to get the outside of my house painted. 3 storeys up, and they are a great bunch of guys always safe and careful, but boy are they strong and fit.

The tilers who did my roof 30 years ago though were a different story. Fantastic blokes, but leaping about like mountain goats and chucking battens and tiles all over the place (without dropping anything). Fearless but still around, thank goodness.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
This is all very true.

There used to be (early 2000s) a gang of scaffolders who drank in the Exchange pub in Hove. Nasty bunch - on one occasion they dragged the assistant manager across the bar and beat the sh|t out of him because he wouldn't put on their choice of music. They were always on the sniff...

When I did labouring (summer job) on building sites 25 years or so ago, I worked with a painter who was stoned EVERY day. He was a rasta to be fair and a lovely bloke to boot. :wave: to Dave L if you're reading :)
Generally found that scaffolders along with hod carriers in most cases,not all,have either drug issues,alcohol or mental health problems that’s why they are in jobs that don’t really have a difficult application process and are always happy to take risks to look good in other peoples eyes.Similar to fairground workers back in the 70s/80s
They are always very good grafters and will always have your back.
I’ve worked on the hod and have had this experience from being on the front line with them
UTA

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Thanks Brexit!!!

f***ing hell. It's amazing these people remember to breathe.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’m always impressed by scaffolders. I sat and watched some scaffold going up near Worthing seafront the other day. They remind me of tour roadies.
Big boys meccano. There is clearly a method and some technicality to putting it up well. The lads that did our house were good.

They are incredibly noisy, a combination of noisy materials, and shouting at each other all day, they must be 75% deaf by 30 . . . I say 30, most of them were probably 20's, they just looked 55-60!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here