Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Say what you like about Poyet but he could certainly spot a player

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who do you think has played for us that was better, on his day, than Vicente?

There is nobody, he stands alone.

To be absolutely clear to those that don’t understand, we’re not talking most influential player, we’re not talking those who were the best servants to the club, we’re not talking those who scored the most goals. We’re talking about in their prime, was there anyone better than Vicente?

Seeing as you think he was ‘nowhere near’ that, I’m looking forward to hearing about all these world class players that have played for us that must have completely passed me by.

There's a fella I've been hearing a lot of good things recently, what about...

...Ashley Barnes? :lolol: :dunce:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Quite.

Forgetting how it ended, I thoroughly enjoyed the Poyet years, we played some great football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its great in Div1 and Div2 to pull that off that style of football like he did when everyone else is pants but the top two rungs are a different ball game.
Unfortunately i will never forget how it ended,Thought he was bigger than the club..........:wanker:........what a plonker.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Its great in Div1 and Div2 to pull that off that style of football like he did when everyone else is pants but the top two rungs are a different ball game.
Unfortunately i will never forget how it ended,Thought he was bigger than the club..........:wanker:........what a plonker.

We challenged and fell away during the first season and made the playoffs during the second, I would argue that’s ‘cutting it’ at Championship level as well.

But as per my first post, that is forgetting how he left......

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We challenged and fell away during the first season and made the playoffs during the second, I would argue that’s ‘cutting it’ at Championship level as well.

But as per my first post, that is forgetting how he left......

The whole notion that we were negative in the championship under Poyet doesn't tie up in the stats, unless almost every team was being negative. In the playoff season we finished 4 points off of 2nd, we had the best defensive record in the division and the 4th best goal scoring record, we also suffered the joint least number of defeats. Similar to the 15-16 season we drew too many games, wasn't it that season that we never lost from scoring first but never won after conceding first? Our main problem was a lack of plan B, not negative football but no way of changing things up when tactics weren't working.

No doubt Poyet was far too negative against Palace, but by then he knew he was a dead man walking and rather than go out on a high, and give himself a chance to turn around his relationship with the board he decided to take the team down with him so to speak. I'll never forgive him for the way it ended but that doesn't mean we have to forget all of the good times and great football we enjoyed under him for a vast majority of his tenure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And the one that got away...virgil van dijk where the recruitment team didnt agree with poyets view on the player's future value

As for vvd - i was told by someone linked to celtic that the only sticking point with him coming to us was he fee with groningen. Also when they signed him they felt he would go to the premier league for at least double what they paid. Granted nobody foresaw the current valuation but it was clear he would be an investment.

I wonder if Gus dropped Tony and Paul a little text. “You know that player that I wanted to buy for £2million but you’d only offer £1.5million for. You’ll never guess what.....”

These posts entirely misrepresent what happened, as far as I understand it.

To suggest that there was disagreement between Gus Poyet and the club over the value of VVD is not the case.

The player was identified, scouted extensively, and there was a dialogue between the two clubs that resulted in a fee for his transfer to the Albion being AGREED. I don't recall the exact figure (though its not really important) Whilst they agreed the sale price, at the time (January) Groningen were in a relegation battle, and were not prepared to let him leave until the end of that season.

In June the Albion expected to complete the deal at the previously agreed figure, but (with interest from Celtic) his club changed the figure at the last minute, chancing their arm for any extra few hundred thousand. I understand that Bloom was livid at them for reneging on their gentleman's agreement, and refused to pay a penny more.

To suggest that Bloom / Barber / Burke / whoever you'd like to blame, felt VVD was not WORTH £2m isn't the case - they almost certainly felt he was. It was, seemingly, entirely a point of PRINCIPLE - Uncle Tony simply wasn't prepared to be ****ed over.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
To suggest that Bloom / Barber / Burke / whoever you'd like to blame, felt VVD was not WORTH £2m isn't the case - they almost certainly felt he was. It was, seemingly, entirely a point of PRINCIPLE - Uncle Tony simply wasn't prepared to be ****ed over.

And uncle Tony didn’t get where he is today by being ****ed over (whatever the * represent !)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And as the players get better then so will the Egos a manager has to deal with and dealing with Big Personalities just doesn't seem to be Poyet's strong point.

I don't think Poyet had a problem managing big personalities as long as they all agreed his personality and ego were bigger. Most people and players at the Albion agreed.

At different times Glen, Vicente and Tony didn't :(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Could be back in UK soon, 4-1 2nd Fav for Wednesday just behind Mclaren

[tweet]946697229443698689[/tweet]

I’d love him to get the job there and I reckon he’d make a decent fist of it too. He would have the backing of multi millionaires and I could sit back and watch him tout himself once he’d won a few games without getting angry :smile:

Not sure the Wednesday fans would appreciate him suggesting he might as well go and play golf if they made murmurs about his style of keep ball in his own half, so that could be fun too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
can you imagine the reaction at Wednesday if McLaren gets the job?

It should be worth getting a log in to Owlstalk for the entertainment

EDIT : It appears McLaren isnt going there

Sheffield Wednesday Fan
3,610 posts
Posted 1 hour ago
3 hours ago, JUNNY said:
Believe it or not, doesnt suprise me one bit, clueless chansiri

Thank fk he did. That slack tw@ would get lost walking down our tunnel. Dodged a bullet there. Complete tallywacker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here