Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Say what you like about Poyet but he could certainly spot a player

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It has to be said since leaving here, apart from his 1st season miraculous escape at Sunderland, it seems that he has been unsuccessful in all the jobs he's had.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I wonder if Gus dropped Tony and Paul a little text. “You know that player that I wanted to buy for £2million but you’d only offer £1.5million for. You’ll never guess what.....”

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder if Gus dropped Tony and Paul a little text. “You know that player that I wanted to buy for £2million but you’d only offer £1.5million for. You’ll never guess what.....”

Virgil named a name for himself playing very well against Barca, AC Milan and Ajax, as well as crashing in freekicks against Scotchish footballers.
He would have struggled to do any of that at the Albion.

Although missing out on a quality centre back, seems very un-Albion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He’d only have unsettled him and taken him to Sunderland when he left.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you mean Poyets final season?

5-1 against Barnsley
3-0 against Massive
4-1 against Udders
3-0 against Palace
6-1 against Blackpool
1-3 away to Burnley
3-3 away to Wolves
1-3 away to Ipswich

8 games out of 46 we scored 3 goals or more. Thats a lot of re-written history there

It's called selective memory.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Plenty of positives and plenty of negatives but all in all thank god the **** was sacked as couldn't stand the egotistical idiot.
Most of the time the football bored the fack out of me although you'd get 6 wonderful performances a season that for many overshadowed the dull performances.

I agree with this in his Championship tenure. Poyet and his teams changed overnight in the summer of 2011 into this, in most games to a dull slow-paced possession game.

But his Withdean era version was brilliant, we destroyed League One, attacked brilliantly from all over and so many great memories.

Until his ego and arrogance run away with itself.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree with this in his Championship tenure. Poyet and his teams changed overnight in the summer of 2011 into this, in most games to a dull slow-paced possession game.

But his Withdean era version was brilliant, we destroyed League One, attacked brilliantly from all over and so many great memories.

As I said in reply to post 52, selective memory.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
to be fair, looking at our football now, we are not a million miles away from the Poyet way.

pass the ball around the back four, holding midfielders and strength in numbers through the middle.

I was watching an FA Cup game the other night , a league 1 side vs a non league side and in the past, i would have expected kick and rush , but everything was all on the ground and there was neat passing between players....our game has changed out of all proportion if you remember back to the days where it was 100 miles and hour with big lumps up front and even bigger psychopaths at the back.

Some would say today's game is more fluent and skillful and there is no doubt that is true....BUT there is also the cynical diving and conning of officials that is rife in our game. remember when we used to sneer at the Italian and Spanish teams who used to dive about and kick the English teams about the field....now our top league is full of those type of players ...tremendously skillful players grant you, but also some real ponys

I think there is some truth in that but for all but the first partial season he was in charge Poyet's teams were mainly favourite for matches while Hughton's would probably take 17th place now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Destroying League One with an expensive team containing many soon to Premier League players, would, unsurprisingly, seem to be harder than doing the same from the championship

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
The most ridiculous game was Bolton at home, which we deserved to win about 8-0 but drew 1-1 thanks to a 97th minute equaliser.

That game still gives me nightmares. The most one sided game of football you will ever see. Couldn’t take it in when they equalised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
That game still gives me nightmares. The most one sided game of football you will ever see. Couldn’t take it in when they equalised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, the Bolton game, and the Cardiff game, was much the same. Marshall, in goal for the Taffys had an absolute belter, and we hit the woodwork about half a dozen times.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
...and of course beating Nigel Adkins' Soutampton to the League One title. Those 8 wins out of 8 in March, fantastic stuff. I think his final season saw some of the best football ever played by a Brighton team. We simply outclassed most teams - just sometimes failed to convert dominance into goals mainly because, until we signed Ulloa, . The most ridiculous game was Bolton at home, which we deserved to win about 8-0 but drew 1-1 thanks to a 97th minute equaliser. Talking of the Spanish signings, let's not forget Calde, David, Orlandi and of course Vicente. Vicente in the Championship! Still the best player to ever play for us I reckon. I know Poyet didn't treat him well and he was injured so much, but to even get him to come here was remarkable. I thoroughly enjoyed the Gus years. Yes he wore his heart on his sleeve and could sometimes be a complete dick, but he took us fron league one relegation candidates to verge of the Prem which is a brilliant achievement.

To be brutal- we already had a striker in Glen Murray who Poyet allowed to go up the A23 to help that lot get promotion. He was good in many ways but nowhere near as good as he thought he was!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Name a more naturally talented player. Certainly not been one in my lifetime watching the Albion. Obviously more important players but for downright actual ability he is out on his own

Spot on.

I still can't quite believe he turned out for us. For someone who has watched a lot of Spanish football over the last 20 years or so, it really was quite an incredible signing and an absolute joy to watch him in the stripes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spot on.

I still can't quite believe he turned out for us. For someone who has watched a lot of Spanish football over the last 20 years or so, it really was quite an incredible signing and an absolute joy to watch him in the stripes.

And he beat Portsmouth 2-0 on his own.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not for me Clive, nowhere near.

Who do you think has played for us that was better, on his day, than Vicente?

There is nobody, he stands alone.

To be absolutely clear to those that don’t understand, we’re not talking most influential player, we’re not talking those who were the best servants to the club, we’re not talking those who scored the most goals. We’re talking about in their prime, was there anyone better than Vicente?

Seeing as you think he was ‘nowhere near’ that, I’m looking forward to hearing about all these world class players that have played for us that must have completely passed me by.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here