Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Say it's a straight fight between us and Palarse for 6th place come 4th May.....

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This would be correct if he had been any good for us. He was any expensive bench warmer at best, and Upson has done way more in 5 games than Dobbie did in half a season.

I agree that Upson has been great, but you're not going to convince me that we were right to let Dobbie go to a play-off rival however much bench warming he was doing. If he scores a play-off final winner, after the embarrassment of the Murray saga, I'll need a long lie down.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I agree that Upson has been great, but you're not going to convince me that we were right to let Dobbie go to a play-off rival however much bench warming he was doing. If he scores a play-off final winner, after the embarrassment of the Murray saga, I'll need a long lie down.

He can't play in the play off finals can he ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

So you'd be happy to pay somewhere in the region of 20K a week to keep him in the stiffs just so that he can't play (averagely) for someone else. And do this rather than having a former international centre back covering our shortfall in that position?!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So you'd be happy to pay somewhere in the region of 20K a week to keep him in the stuffs just so that he can't play (averagely) for someone else. And do this rather than having a former international centre back covering our shortfall in that position?!

Nearer 30k a week than 20k a week is my understanding. I was astounded by it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Nearer 30k a week than 20k a week is my understanding. I was astounded by it.

In that case then, I'm surprised that there isn't a thread on a Palace message board questioning the reasoning behind freeing up 30K a week's worth of wages to one of THEIR promotion rivals!!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In that case then, I'm surprised that there isn't a thread on a Palace message board questioning the reasoning behind freeing up 30K a week's worth of wages to one of THEIR promotion rivals!!!

Indeed. Not actually 30K, but closer to 30 than 20...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
when a rival - even a promotion rival - is the only buyer in town you choose whether to take the cash and use it to help your own needs (paying for Upson in this case) or to leave an expensive asset who just cant fit in to your way of playing for whatever reason to stew on the bench. Do that and it could easily start to impact on morale . It could also mean you are stuck with an unsaleable expensive player in contract come the summer. with limited chance he will suddenly turn his performance round and adjust. Sell him and it could come back to bite you but it might not.
Palace are more direct than us so he is more likely to fit in but it is no guarantee. He didnt fit for us and we needed a quality centre back. No-one else came in for a very costly Dobbie so what else to do?
IMO Gus did tbe right thing. Lets not forget that Upson has made a fantastic impact and makes us a better side

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is for all those fans who seem to be cutting their wrists at the fact that Murray is having a great season (2 years after he didn't renew his contract with us): By taking Dobbie off our hands, Palace have enabled us to have Mathew Upson for the last 18 games of the season. They have also enabled us to have Liam Bridcutt - last year's player of the season and arguably this year's so far as well - by not giving him a contract after he had a trial with them 2.5 years ago.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
So you'd be happy to pay somewhere in the region of 20K a week to keep him in the stiffs just so that he can't play (averagely) for someone else. And do this rather than having a former international centre back covering our shortfall in that position?!

He was on nowhere near that, despite being our top earner. Send him anywhere other than a play off rival.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
£30k for Dobbie......:lolol:

No wonder football is in such a state.

Ridiculous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here