[Football] Saudi Super League

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Saudi Arabia have announced they are playing 2 international friendlies in the UK, vs Costa Rica & South Korea. No surprise both matches at St James Park.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Saudi Arabia have announced they are playing 2 international friendlies in the UK, vs Costa Rica & South Korea. No surprise both matches at St James Park.

🤷🏻‍♂️

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Long term I can't see this ever becoming a dominant league. In general players will be going over there for short periods to fill there pockets. I can fully understand players going to any of the European countries and experiencing with there family life in a different country. However Saudi etc is a different matter all together . Unlikely to want to learn the language and in many cases wives would not be comfortable with the new culture.
The thing that makes me think you are right is the players can live in a compound, their families probably won’t like it - also if one thing happens like a players kid or brother or something goes to jail like grooverider did over a bit of a broken spliff in his bag then that will put people off moving there.

[https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2008/feb/20/news.radio]

“Fair Trials added that it had had reports of a Swiss national who was sentenced to four years in prison in the UAE after three poppy seeds from a bread roll were found on his clothes.”

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The thing that makes me think you are right is the players can live in a compound, their families probably won’t like it - also if one thing happens like a players kid or brother or something goes to jail like grooverider did over a bit of a broken spliff in his bag then that will put people off moving there.

[https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2008/feb/20/news.radio]

Using the same example - has Grooverider experience stopped other DJs going there? No - in fact bigger DJs go there now. Many also transit through Dubai to go to Asia / Oz

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The problem is that the money is just exploiting the desires of the fans. Most people are in favour of a cap on spending but want it set at a level that allows their club to be amongst the best and keeps all other clubs below. I suspect Brighton fans are no different in this respect. Nothing will change. The money men see this weakness.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the obstalce is clubs dont want to leave the EPL, even with new mercenary forgein owners. they recognise they need to be in the domestic league for both the core fan base and foundation of the club and of course the present money flow. at least it presents a high risk plan, if things dont work out. the european super league proposed being a replacement for Champions League, not EPL.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope nobody turns up.
Hope that includes the media too. In fact I wish the media would ignore ir altogether - there's no need for the BBC or ITV to report the scores - we're (mostly) not interested. If Talksport just stopped talking about it, that would be good too.
'Player X transferred to Saudi for X million quid' - and that's all the news that needs to be reported unless or until he a). leaves Saudi football and returns to mainstream football, or b). he's beheaded for missing an open goal in the 98th. minute.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The worst thing is that the likes of SKY and BEIN will bestow some form of legitimacy on that sportswashing league, and their subscribers will just lap it up, just like they always do :rolleyes:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As I mentioned on another Saudi football thread on here, I barely watch anything outside of the PL – and even then it's mostly games that involve the Albion. So the chances of me seeing any of this lot are pretty much non-existent.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The worst thing is that the likes of SKY and BEIN will bestow some form of legitimacy on that sportswashing league, and their subscribers will just lap it up, just like they always do :rolleyes:
That’s a tricky one though. When you subscribe to the Sky or TNT Sports package it’s all or nothing. I would willingly take domestic football and the cricket and scrap the rest, including any shite from Saudi, European football, golf and car racing. That’s not on offer though and I do want the stuff I am interested in.

el punal

Yes, I made a similar point on the Chelsea thread. It can be achieved by the majority of the PL clubs simply rejoining the Football League, cutting off promotion/relegation to the PL and distributing tv money equitably to all members. We would still have our live football. Doesn’t really matter who we play as far as I’m concerned. There would be a lot less money and the quality of football wouldn’t be as good but neither matter to me.I think it would be a lot more competitive than existing PL football.
I would take issue with you on a couple of points. Firstly, the quality of football we played last season was incredible and applauded by all. Secondly, as a football club we have always aspired to be better as each season goes by. Why would you want to cheapen those efforts to play in an inferior league against mundane opponents. On that basis we might just as well have stayed at Withdean hopping between League One and League Two for eternity.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I would take issue with you on a couple of points. Firstly, the quality of football we played last season was incredible and applauded by all. Secondly, as a football club we have always aspired to be better as each season goes by. Why would you want to cheapen those efforts to play in an inferior league against mundane opponents. On that basis we might just as well have stayed at Withdean hopping between League One and League Two for eternity.
No disagreement here about the quality of football last season. I loved it. However it’s not the be all and end all. Similar arguments to yours are made by fans of Man U, Arsenal etc. You need to look down as well as up though and recognise that the financial league we are now in is as unobtainable for most of English football as the Saudi/Chelsea money is for us. I don’t see any other way to make our game equitable than an equal share of its income being distributed to all participants and the best team wins. That cannot be achieved in the financial monstrosity that is the PL If we keep things as they are the dice is clearly loaded against us though and we will be spewed back into the mix with the rest. Perhaps there will then be more voices like mine calling for change ?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
- It indeed does seem all part of the master plan. Blatter and the new **** at Fifa all in on it for years, It's the same take over like the Golf - merge with us or simply be out bought, we have unlimited funds for players, managers, backhanders and bribes to Fifa and Eufa officials. They have a plan. Saudi WC next etc. It's been there all along but it's now much clearer.

- This whole globalisation of football. Fans of the Premier League clubs in Asia, Persia wherever all seemingly so important now. Do these fans pay legitimately now to watch and buy merch? - in my backpacking days it was all illegal streams and fake shirts. Assume it must be for the Prem clubs to chase this market so much.

- I'm enjoying the Albion's rise to the upper echelons...but do I enjoy it more than I did in the dark days of the Goldstone and all the success at Withdean? It's different so it's fun but better? Dunno, can't really answer that. Money isn't everything, in fact mostly it's often nothing much at all.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I hope nobody turns up.
Are.you kidding both fixtures will be rammed , chock full of all the football loving Saudi ex-pats renowned around the world for their massive support....

I suspect the hand choppers will be offering thick geordies money to attend.

Another subtle step closer to a Saudi sponsored Super League a la LIV golf.

Insidious Sportswashing at its worst

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports