Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This makes depressing reading, it appears the Saudis are bailing Chelsea out and aiding them in avoiding FFP which is enabling Chelsea to spend more millions on another raft of new players.

It stinks but nothing will be done about it as we all know. Maybe Boehly is not the buffoon he has appeared to be.

It will be interesting to see how City, United and Liverpool react to this, they are the ones most at risk of being blasted out of the water by Chelsea and Newcastle. City can probably compete but the other two?

FFP is done, there is absolutely no point to it anymore.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm now all for the Super League, let them all go and do it, with some Saudi money thrown in, whatever, I'll drive them there myself. Then the real sport of competitive football can commence.
It’s getting that way, which is probably their end game too.

If there’s any truth in the Neves to Newcastle loan, the PL is in serious trouble. It can’t be allowed to happen but the precedents for football authorities acting quickly aren’t exactly promising. Nor is it easy when the source of the problem have unlimited funds for crippling legal challenges.

I guess Neves/Newcastle could be people putting two and two together. It seems an oddly blatant move for the Saudis to make at this point. That’s by any traditional thought process. Plenty of other evidence suggests the Middle Eastern countries are so rich they really don’t care - so maybe it is true.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Was thinking about whether to start a separate thread for this, but I guess the arguments will end up being the same.

Is Carra overreacting? And some of the replies calling him out for arrogant hypocrisy seem to be written by arrogant hypocrites. Surely the linking factor here is Jorge Mendes who seems knee deep in PIF money. Is it really an issue if Saudi teams become the new Wolves? Maybe, if they’re loaning players back….

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Was thinking about whether to start a separate thread for this, but I guess the arguments will end up being the same.

Is Carra overreacting? And some of the replies calling him out for arrogant hypocrisy seem to be written by arrogant hypocrites. Surely the linking factor here is Jorge Mendes who seems knee deep in PIF money. Is it really an issue if Saudi teams become the new Wolves? Maybe, if they’re loaning players back….

If this is true then no he is not!!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yep exactly experience with my Geordie mate. I love him, he's a great bloke but he has simply looked the other way and is outraged by any suggestions of impropriety on behalf of the ownership. He just keeps trotting out 'keep politics out of sport' and fails to see or refuses to see that that is exactly what most of us are objecting to with regard to their situation.
It's refuses, isn't it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I find some of those replies pretty depressing. It appears that football fans, in the main, won’t give a shit how it happens and the background as long as their club benefits :down:

Not sure that the comparisons with how United and others have dominated are at anywhere near the level as what is going on at the moment

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's refuses, isn't it
Yes, most probably. His love for the club and his hatred of Ashley has caused a blind spot the size of the Eiffel tower. He cannot understand the irony of objecting to Ashley as a bad owner and then being over the moon about their current owners. The love of money and all that $$$.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I agree that the Saudis are the worst of a bad bunch. No argument there. Unfortunately Newcastle fans don't get a say in who stewards the club. We should, as should any fanbase, but we don't.

What pisses me off are the children and morons with Saudi flags on twitter, or those that leap to that state's defence.
Yep, so many apologists. Actually, scap that. Theyre not apologists they are supporters of that regime. They celebrate it, actively celebrate it. Think its 'bantz'. Shocking.

Sad thing is, no other football club would be any different. I'd ditch this club if that happened but I'd be a minority with many others happy to ignore the reality

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
From a football perspective, Bernardo going over there would be really shit as he is just a wonderful player and one of the best to watch.

The Neves deal however absolutely stinks on all levels. I don’t always agree with Neville as he’s very one eyed with these things when Man Utd are involved, but he’s right here, something should be done ASAP. It won’t happen though as unfortunately football and the Premier League jumped the shark many years ago and this is the result.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm slightly lost about all this Saudi money. They seem to be buying a LOT of Chelsea players for big fees. I assume this is entirely to help them reduce their wage bill and keep them within FFP this year and generate funds for buying new players after the end of this month, when the new FFP year begins?

It utterly stinks. Have I misunderstood this? Can it be so obvious?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm slightly lost about all this Saudi money. They seem to be buying a LOT of Chelsea players for big fees. I assume this is entirely to help them reduce their wage bill and keep them within FFP this year and generate funds for buying new players after the end of this month, when the new FFP year begins?

No you haven't and yes it is....

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Am I reading this right, The company that owns Newcastle is also in bed with Chelsea and paying high fees for their unwanted players, presumably to bring them within FFP?
Kind of but also, no.

PIF own 80% of Newcastle United, I think they wholly own 4 clubs in the Saudi league. However, PIF is such a huge financial entity that the part of PIF that owns and makes decisions on those 4 clubs is distinct from the part that owns and makes decisions on Newcastle United. This isn't the same as City Group buying a player from NYCFC and selling him to Manchester City, or the arrangement that Watford an Udinese have.

It's still suspect as f*** though.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Kind of but also, no.

PIF own 80% of Newcastle United, I think they wholly own 4 clubs in the Saudi league. However, PIF is such a huge financial entity that the part of PIF that owns and makes decisions on those 4 clubs is distinct from the part that owns and makes decisions on Newcastle United. This isn't the same as City Group buying a player from NYCFC and selling him to Manchester City, or the arrangement that Watford an Udinese have.

It's still suspect as f*** though.
They have you by the goolies but they also seem to be bailing Chelsea out. I wonder what will happen when the two interests clash, which they will :smile:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here