Sat 6th Nov, 34 years being an Albion fan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
On Sat 6th Nov 1976 I saw my first Albion game, they played Swindon and beat them 4-0 Spider with 2 and Rollings and Ward with one each. Up until that day I was a Gooner and when I told my Dad I was becoming an Albion fan he laughed and thought I'd be a Gooner again by the end of the week, how wrong he was.

I've always been glad I became an Albion fan the up and down journey has been worthwhile and far more interesting and exciting than if I continued to be a Gooner. The season I started supporting the Albion they got promoted from Division 3, so I hope that's a good omen for this season.

I hope when I take my seat for tomorrows game we win 4-0 like we did 34 years ago.
:albion1::albion1::albion1:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Fair play Thanet. Were you living in Brighton area in 1976?

IMHO I think the 70's were the most exciting times, with Wardy etc.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Lived in Crawley, a friend of the my Dad supported the Albion and invited me and Dad to go with him, sat in the South stand that day.

Glad they made an impression on you. Always nice to enjoy a big win on your debut.

I wonder how many kids have been put off by their introduction to the Albion at Withdean. A former landlord of mine was one who'd taken his son to a game and left during the match. Can't remember the exact reasons for leaving but think it was to do with the weather and poor standard of football. I think he'd been to the Emirates previously, so was used to a lot better standard. This was a couple of seasons ago.

Anyway Falmer will a huge attraction no doubt.

Last edited:

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Glad they made an impression on you. Always nice to enjoy a big win on your debut.

I wonder how many kids have been put off by their introduction to the Albion at Withdean. A former landlord of mine was one who'd taken his son to a game and left during the match. Can't remember the exact reasons for leaving but think it was to do with the weather and poor standard of football. I think he'd been to the Emirates previously, so was used to a lot better standard.

Anyway Falmer will a huge attraction no doubt.

I'd only ever seen Crawley Town up until that point and they we're a proper team as they weren't on the football pools. My uncle who made me become a Gooner always promised to take me to see them but never did. Maybe if he did I would be supporting them instead.

As I stated previously I'm glad I never did. Like many supporters it annoys me when kids and adults follow Man U, Liverpool etc. They miss out on the true experience of being a football supporter. There's nothing better in supporting your local team and watching them year in year out.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I'd only ever seen Crawley Town up until that point and they we're a proper team as they weren't on the football pools. My uncle who made me become a Gooner always promised to take me to see them but never did. Maybe if he did I would be supporting them instead.

As I stated previously I'm glad I never did. Like many supporters it annoys me when kids and adults follow Man U, Liverpool etc. They miss out on the true experience of being a football supporter. There's nothing better in supporting your local team and watching them year in year out.

Ditto!!!!!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
is there a database I can interrogate to see my anniversay dates?

My first game was a friendly against Chelsea poss about 1970. My first proper game was the opening league game against Rotherham perhaps in 1973?

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
is there a database I can interrogate to see my anniversay dates?

My first game was a friendly against Chelsea poss about 1970. My first proper game was the opening league game against Rotherham perhaps in 1973?

Evening Carwash,

I've got the book Seagulls - The story of BHAFC by Tim Carder and Roger Harris. I always knew my first Albion game was around fireworks night, but couldn't remember the actual date.

Anyway, according the the book Albion played Chelsea on the 5th May 1972 which Chelsea won 3-2, the match was for Norman Gall and Brian Powney

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The season I started supporting the Albion they got promoted from Division 3, so I hope that's a good omen for this season.

I know that I started following the Albion from the season before that, as I can remember us not being promoted but going up the following year.

Oddly my first proper game was Arsenal versus Chelsea, which wasn't until Easter 79, as my parents didn't want me going to watch Brighton because of the reputation for trouble at games...what I saw at Highbury on that day was far worse than anything I have seen anywhere in the intervening years, it was pandemonium and almost put me off footy for life.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Evening Carwash,

I've got the book Seagulls - The story of BHAFC by Tim Carder and Roger Harris. I always knew my first Albion game was around fireworks night, but couldn't remember the actual date.

Anyway, according the the book Albion played Chelsea on the 5th May 1972 which Chelsea won 3-2, the match was for Norman Gall and Brian Powney

Thanks Thanet. Any detail on that Rotherham game?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
According to the book Albion played Rotherham on 26th April 1972 which Albion won 2-1 Irvine and Beamish scoring. They didn't play them in 1973 as Albion were promoted to Div 2.

oh blimey!!

If you have a minute can you ceck forward to see if they played then at home in the first game of the season at any time in the 70s. I thought I was an old stager it comes to pass that I am a whippersnapper!

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
oh blimey!!

If you have a minute can you ceck forward to see if they played then at home in the first game of the season at any time in the 70s. I thought I was an old stager it comes to pass that I am a whippersnapper!

I'll to start charging you Carwash for my research services LOL. Give me a moment mate and I'll have a gander.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports