Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SASTA - what an absolute shower

Jul 7, 2003
Last night I tried to book tickets on line for first time in a few months. My first experience of their redesigned webpage. Is is just me or is it deliberately designed to be confusing so you screw up and end up buying more expensive tickets? The prices seemed to change virtually by the minute and allegedly first class was cheaper for Worthing- Victoria return than standard

The new pages often screw up your booking. I tried to book a return to Salisbury today but whenever I chose my outbound journey it decided that I wouldn't want to return and started to process as a single. If you then try to book again it gives an error and you have to go back to the start.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
In a way I'm surprised as when Charles Horton the MD ran the show before things were ok, there was always a rolling recruitment campaign of drivers and conductors so whilst you had vacancies there was nothing that caused major problems.

Even Connex for their bad reputation were not as bad as this lot and it wouldn't take much more before someone has to step in.

I know his replacement fairly well - A Palace STH, in charge of trains in and out of Brighton..
(Did i hear he's getting a grilling this week, somewhere too..?)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Praise rail firms when trains run on time, says Tory MP (From The Argus)

Rail companies should be praised when trains run on time, a Tory MP has said.

Huw Merriman suggested that criticism of train operators for running late or crammed services should be offset by positive remarks when they "get it right most days".

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said the Bexhill and Battle MP was "absolutely right" and stressed upgrades to the Thameslink line Mr Merriman uses will cause disruption but eventually lead to better services.

Thameslink was rated the worst in the country with a 73 per cent satisfaction rate while Southern Rail was third from bottom with 78 per cent.

Transport Focus surveyed more than 28,000 passengers as part of the National Rail Passenger Survey - the largest published rail passenger satisfaction survey in the world.

Southern Railway's satisfaction has improved from its previous rating of 72 per cent while Thameslink's fell by a point from 74 per cent.

During transport questions in the Commons, Mr Merriman said: "This morning my train to London Bridge got me in on time.

"Would you agree with me that as well as being negative when things don't work, we should also be positive to our rail franchises when they do get it right most days?"

Mr McLoughlin replied: "I think you are absolutely right.

"What you are seeing on your line and the line that goes into London Bridge and other trains through Thameslink is a massive upgrade of some £6.5 billion.

"Obviously there will be difficulties at certain stages during the reconstruction of that line but once it is finished it will be a far superior line and it will benefit from the new trains which will come into service later this spring."

:wanker:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Last night I tried to book tickets on line for first time in a few months. My first experience of their redesigned webpage. Is is just me or is it deliberately designed to be confusing so you screw up and end up buying more expensive tickets? The prices seemed to change virtually by the minute and allegedly first class was cheaper for Worthing- Victoria return than standard

The new booking page is useless and only comes up with more expensive prices. The old one was fine and very good imo.

Last weekend it tried to charge me £21 from Three Bridges to London (my ST is valid until gatwick) in the end bought a ticket from Brighton for £12.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I go to Sydenham a fair bit, and it's all on Southern or Thameslink.

A return ticket from Brighton to Sydenham is £17.90.
A return ticket from Sydenham to Brighton is £20.80.

I have a Network Card to reduce the cost, but that's not my point.

When I asked the woman in the ticket office at Sydenham why there was this difference, I was told - with a straight face - that it was because the train from Sydenham has started its journey from inside the London Travel Zone area.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I go to Sydenham a fair bit, and it's all on Southern or Thameslink.

A return ticket from Brighton to Sydenham is £17.90.
A return ticket from Sydenham to Brighton is £20.80.

I have a Network Card to reduce the cost, but that's not my point.

When I asked the woman in the ticket office at Sydenham why there was this difference, I was told - with a straight face - that it was because the train from Sydenham has started its journey from inside the London Travel Zone area.

No it's not, it's always been a different price going one way than the other, a PEAK return Brighton to London used to be £40ish whereas London to Brighton was £20ish at the same time, it's simply market forces and priced up to capacity and what they think the market will bear

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Meanwhile......

Southern and Thameslink parent company Go-Ahead reported profits from its rail business rising 30.5 per cent to £25.7 million in the year to June 2015. Its chief executive David Brown saw his pay package rise to £2.1 million last year.

Evening Standard

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

If they could get one f'ing train on time for me in the morning, then I'll think about praising them (I won't), not a single train on time for me yet this year, stats so far this year for my normal train (bear in mind it's only a 40 minute journey):

Times.PNG

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If they could get one f'ing train on time for me in the morning, then I'll think about praising them (I won't), not a single train on time for me yet this year, stats so far this year for my normal train (bear in mind it's only a 40 minute journey):

View attachment 71884

Same. The 1800 Victoria to Brighton has not made it to Brighton on time once this year so far either.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Meanwhile......

Southern and Thameslink parent company Go-Ahead reported profits from its rail business rising 30.5 per cent to £25.7 million in the year to June 2015. Its chief executive David Brown saw his pay package rise to £2.1 million last year.

Evening Standard

No doubt boosted by the salary savings from employing insufficient train crew numbers to run a reliable service and cover adequately for disruption, sickness, training days etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here