Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SASTA - what an absolute shower

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You're on your train home and some dildo pushes the alarm in the bog or has a crafty fag and the alarm goes off, now the driver messages the guard and he goes and sorts it and the train won't even stop. Take away the guard the train now has to stop, the driver has to block the line then go back and investigate.

This. Totally. It's every delay-conscious commuter's anxiety-trigger announcement by the driver: 'Can the guard contact the driver please'. It's never good news.

Mr Bronson

Feb 24, 2009
Southern surpassed even there usual level of genius this morning. My key card has stopped working. I go to the desk at the station and after three minutes of silence she confirmed that it contained my annual season ticket. "Can you give me a new one" which I thought was not an unreasonable request. Of course not, we'll put one in the post was the response. Here it comes....."...in the mean time you're going to have to buy paper tickets until your new key card arrives. You can reclaim the money back" I'm a reasonable person but seriously. I pay you £4800 a year. Your technology is not working and you want me to stump up more money. Wow, just wow.

Jul 7, 2003
Yesterday I took the train to work as I was out for a few drinks in the evening. Went to the ticket machine at West Worthing, selected my ticket for Burgess Hill, first ticket out okay but the other two are printed as void. Message on screen says you need to speak to the travel centre and you have been charged for the tickets. As my train was now pulling into the station I thought I would sort this out at the other end. When I spoke to the person in the BH ticket office (Spurs fan, lots of badges), he said that I should have sorted this out at West Worthing. I explained about my train and he said it was really difficult and couldn't I sort it out at West Worthing. I pointed out that I had no return ticket and that the ticket office at West Worthing would be closed by the time I got home.

Begrudgingly he printed me off another ticket. Given how much he had moaned I expected this to be a long and complex process. It took him less than 30 seconds to type in the reference, find the details and print off a ticket - he had spent longer moaning that it took to do the job. Customer service at it's finest.

...and the trains home were all fecked but that was signalling problems and not SASTA's fault.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not sure whether it has been covered in this thread yet, but has anyone used Southern's new website for buying tickets? Honestly, it's one of the worst experiences I've ever had on the internet... incredibly confusing and un-user friendly, only shows single tickets even when you want to buy a return, and for some reason fills the screen with a massive route map (yes, I know where Brighton and Haywards Heath are, thanks - why do I need a MAP?!). I gave up the last time I tried to use it after spending about 15 minutes trying to work out how to buy a simple off-peak return, and went on trainline.com instead (annoying, because they add a surcharge). Needless to say, the old site worked just fine. Absolute shambles.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not sure whether it has been covered in this thread yet, but has anyone used Southern's new website for buying tickets? Honestly, it's one of the worst experiences I've ever had on the internet... incredibly confusing and un-user friendly, only shows single tickets even when you want to buy a return, and for some reason fills the screen with a massive route map (yes, I know where Brighton and Haywards Heath are, thanks - why do I need a MAP?!). I gave up the last time I tried to use it after spending about 15 minutes trying to work out how to buy a simple off-peak return, and went on trainline.com instead (annoying, because they add a surcharge). Needless to say, the old site worked just fine. Absolute shambles.

It's toliet, used it once - never again.
I use this one https://www.buytickets.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/advancedsearch.aspx (no fees)

Jul 7, 2003

After several attempts, I finally worked out yesterday how to get a return ticket. When you select the return journey date and time there is another check box above the date that you have to select to say you want a return. Obviously filling in the date and time is not sufficient!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
After several attempts, I finally worked out yesterday how to get a return ticket. When you select the return journey date and time there is another check box above the date that you have to select to say you want a return. Obviously filling in the date and time is not sufficient!

Thanks -- I couldn't work it out at all!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

A fine example of when you move away from what worked it goes pear shaped

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Totally agree absolute rubbish.

I assume that I have missed some announcement but putting in London Victoria for a weekday only brings up London Terminal tickets which were always a few £s more and no option just to buy for Victoria.

I gave a key card and last time I looked to buy a ticket on the new site I ended up with a collect on departure paper ticket.

Shambles

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I travelled to Hamburg yesterday afternoon, returning to Berlin today, on the ICE service. The Merlot wasn't quite to my liking, was a bit tart. And I noticed on the handy free internet progress page the train, at one point on its 90 minute non-stop service, was a minute behind schedule. And is two restaurant cars, a seated restaurant area and a standing and seated bar is surely excessive? cArNaGe

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just got stuck on an old shit heap at Portslade that won't move. Good luck commuters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who would of thought the clowns in orange jackets that have let us down a few times would let something like that happen

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
"Due to the hot weather and numerous events taking place in the area, Brighton experienced large volumes of visitors this weekend. With a high influx of passengers returning home from Brighton station this evening measures were put in place to ensure the safety of our customers which resulted in overcrowding on the concourse. Services ran as scheduled and in order to elevate crowding on board our trains first class was declassified on some services."

Because no-one foresaw many hundreds, possibly thousands, of extra people visiting the city on a hot day. An embarrassment to the city.

Meanwhile, it's interesting they're trying to elevate crowding. How are they going to alleviate those issues?

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
If they'd shut the gates people would have gone ballistic as well. The problem is all these people come down over a long period during the day but all want to go back at roughly the same time.. For some reason as soon as the sun's out thousands want to come down to this scruffy dump and with a ballooning population scenes like yesterday will become the norm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here