Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sanchez v Dunk

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
We tried twice ie two offers but Chelsea refused to sell. A couple of months later he was offered a pay rise.
Would you turn down a pay rise?
I mean, that's literally the point I was making.
"I'd quite like to stay at Brighton"
"Here's some more money"
"You make a convincing argument. Do you have a pen?"

For what it's worth, I could leave my current job for more money pretty much any time I want. I like my job [wait, what?] and the people [that doesn't sound right], and other companies might have stricter views on me stretching my hours out to fit posting on NSC in the middle of the day in [ah, that'll be it].

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I mean, that's literally the point I was making.
"I'd quite like to stay at Brighton"
"Here's some more money"
"You make a convincing argument. Do you have a pen?"

For what it's worth, I could leave my current job for more money pretty much any time I want. I like my job [wait, what?] and the people [that doesn't sound right], and other companies might have stricter views on me stretching my hours out to fit posting on NSC in the middle of the day in [ah, that'll be it].
My point was, it was at least two months later, when Chelsea made it clear he couldn’t leave. Colwill was also assured he wouldn’t be bench warming, which made a difference. He’d enjoyed playing week in and week out with us.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My point was, it was at least two months later, when Chelsea made it clear he couldn’t leave. Colwill was also assured he wouldn’t be bench warming, which made a difference. He’d enjoyed playing week in and week out with us.
Aren't you both making the same point. He chose Chelsea over us?

Fair enough too, lets not pretend that he has the potential to win more with us than them. We know it, he knows it and they know it.

Just celebrate your goal Levi, we all get it.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He did stop his goal celebration though when he realised it was in front of our fans
And he spent almost the entirety of his (admittedly short) MotD interview talking about how important the Albion were for him.

He had a great game annoyingly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Fair enough too, lets not pretend that he has the potential to win more with us than them. We know it, he knows it and they know it.

My point is, he had no choice.
How do you choose when one club refuses to let you go?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I'm not sure there was a choice tbh. He was a contracted Chelsea player, and despite our bids they never had any intention of selling so he didn't ever have a choice to make. As is customary in football when other teams bid for your players and you don't want to sell, you secure that valuation by offering them a new longer contract in the hopes that it prices out potential suitors for the foreseeable.

It was clear that Levi would've been very happy to join us in the summer if the opportunity presented itself. It didn't.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My point is, he had no choice.
How do you choose when one club refuses to let you go?
Well, there have been a number of ways that players have achieved this over the years.

No one really knows what was said, but my guess is that he didn't push too hard once he was offered first-team football and a healthy pay rise.

To me the evidence suggests that he liked playing for us but opted to play for Chelsea.

It all seems a bit 'free Ben White' to me. That whole saga seemed to end in Ben White's loyalties being at Arsenal. Why do we pretend otherwise? It is a rare player that stays loyal to one club.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm not sure there was a choice tbh. He was a contracted Chelsea player, and despite our bids they never had any intention of selling so he didn't ever have a choice to make. As is customary in football when other teams bid for your players and you don't want to sell, you secure that valuation by offering them a new longer contract in the hopes that it prices out potential suitors for the foreseeable.

It was clear that Levi would've been very happy to join us in the summer if the opportunity presented itself. It didn't.
He would have been very happy to join us.

Although, he was happier to stay at Chelsea with first-team football and a pay rise.

I suppose we don't know what happened, what was said and how he felt about it.

So we all tell ourselves different stories about it. The result is the same though, he stayed at chelsea.

#freelevi

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

The fact is, though, he was happier to stay at Chelsea with first-team football and a pay rise.

Why are we so reticent to accept this?
Because he wasn't given a choice to stay at Chelsea or go to Brighton. He was told to stay. The decision wasn't his so it's not a choice between whether he was happier to come here or stay.

Are you implying that he should've turned down a pay-rise and promise of first-team football out of some kind of loyalty to Brighton, who he wouldn't have been allowed to join under any circumstances?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Although, he was happier to stay at Chelsea with first-team football and a pay rise.

I suppose we don't know what happened, what was said and how he felt about it.

So we all tell ourselves different stories about it. The result is the same though, he stayed at chelsea.

#freelevi
Choose? Opted? Semantics.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Because he wasn't given a choice to stay at Chelsea or go to Brighton. He was told to stay. The decision wasn't his so it's not a choice between whether he was happier to come here or stay.

Are you implying that he should've turned down a pay-rise and promise of first-team football out of some kind of loyalty to Brighton, who he wouldn't have been allowed to join under any circumstances?
Not really, no; as I said, no one knows what was said or what he wanted. I just find it a bit weird that some of our fans choose to tell themselves that he wanted to stay with us over Chelsea when there isn't any evidence to support it.

To me it is just as likely that Chelsea went to him and said, if they offer XXX would you be interested in a move (especially with the squad size they had and his relative inexperience) and he said, if I can get first team football here I would rather stay at Chelsea.

The net result is that he is at Chelsea, and unless I have missed the evidence, there is nothing to suggest he is unhappy with the situation.

My point was: given all of the above, it is fine for him to celebrate his goal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So, given the choice or option, do you believe that he would have chosen/opted to play for us?

@Beanstalk I ask you the same question
If Chelsea had agreed to sell, he would’ve opted/chosen us.

As it was, Chelsea wouldn’t agree, so there was no option, nor choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here