Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sanchez: England or Spain?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What the **** is this comment.

If you look at the photo of him with his parents it is obvious.

Please don’t try to turn it into something it isn’t.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
They don't like De Gea over in Spain, with his form nosediving over the past three years or so and with Kepa as his current understudy, I'd say he's actually got a pretty good chance of breaking into the Spain side.

Probably better than he has with England with Southgate in charge where he would have to get ahead of all of the keepers who have come up 'through the system' and played for the first team and U21's in recent years plus we know the waistcoated wanker has an aversion to Brighton players anyway.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not convinced by any of our goalies , be brilliant if Sanchez choose England . Hopefully he would get a chance .

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
He’s not English. Utterly absurd this residency rule, could you imagine Shilton or Seaman having played in La Liga back in the day and as a result being Spain’s national keeper? Seaman giving a post match interview in his Spain kit in his broad Yorkshire accent. Leave rugby union to exploit the residency rules, keep it out of football.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So we conclude that he is either adopted or from a previous relationship. Anyway.

I think he qualifies for both countries, hence the interest. His path to England would probably be the clearest.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Wonder which one would give him a higher value.

???

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Hopefully Dunk can tell him to f**k England off as long as Southgate is in charge, he’d still choose T-Rex arms anyway.

Spain have a ridiculous depth of goalkeepers, wonder if he has a Jamaican great grandmother?

wouldn't say that spain have 'ridiculous' depth in the keeper department, aside from de gea there's nobody who's really staking a claim to the no.1 jersey, kepa is a lost cause at the moment, unai simon is pretty decent but he's yet to really get a good run of games in the national team, and the other names like alex remiro haven't even been called up before. and that's before you factor in that sanchez has been playing better than all of them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He’s not English. Utterly absurd this residency rule, could you imagine Shilton or Seaman having played in La Liga back in the day and as a result being Spain’s national keeper? Seaman giving a post match interview in his Spain kit in his broad Yorkshire accent. Leave rugby union to exploit the residency rules, keep it out of football.

How do you feel about Raheem Sterling playing for England?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Play for Spain or England? No brainer imo unless we decide to employ a manager capable of winning things and I’m certainly not convinced we have better players than Spain either. With Southgate in charge he’ll not get a look in, the guy is clueless. One very easy run to the semi finals doesn’t change that.

Why isn’t this a poll?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How do you feel about Raheem Stirling playing for England?

I don’t think this is the point Bombadier is making. He’s drawing a distinction between a resident and a citizen.....unless I’m mistaken.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I don’t think this is the point Bombadier is making. He’s drawing a distinction between a resident and a citizen.....unless I’m mistaken.

Sterling originally qualified to play for England through the 5 years in education rule.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He is quite black and his parents quite white, I'm guessing he was adopted. Wonder if that makes him eligible for a third country in case he doesnt want to compete with mighty Pickford or De Gea?

His paternal surname is actually Lynch (Robert Lynch Sanchez).

Following Spanish naming convention, he ought normally to be known as Robert Lynch.

(I've no idea whether Mr Lynch is the man in the signing photos, or perhaps a previous partner of his Mum).

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I haven’t seen any casual racism in this thread, am I missing something? Is mentioning someone’s race now casual racism?

We are simply discussing Sanchez, if he is indeed adopted which does look a possibility based on his parents, he would certainly be eligible to play for someone based on his lineage should he wish, would be interesting to find out. It could be the case that he doesn’t feel Spanish or English :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sterling only qualified to play for England through the 5 years in education rule.

Sterling has a UK passport though. He then qualifies for England due to the home-nations rule includes the 5 years you mention but I’m not actually sure this latter point was required in his case as he was born outside the UK.

You can’t just rock up anywhere and play for the nation after 5 years of education. As far as I know you need to be a citizen as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here