Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

San Francisco any tips please

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
http://www.scomas.com/People advising you to skip Fishermans wharf obviously didn't go here !
It is pricey , but well worth it ! Try the cioppino ....

We went and ate and it was the least interesting thing in the whole trip. Touristy, fake and nothing left of what may have made it an attraction years ago. Apart from the wildlife. But you see that then leave is my advice.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you buy the City Pass the cable car is free for the duration of it.

We went to the art Museum and Natural Species type place which was in a park a bus ride away that was very good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Carshaltonloyal

Jan 18, 2011
We went and ate and it was the least interesting thing in the whole trip. Touristy, fake and nothing left of what may have made it an attraction years ago. Apart from the wildlife. But you see that then leave is my advice.

Fishermans wharf is a bit 'Brighton Pier' but scomas is a top rate restaurant, lots of history ( for the US !) ,pictures of all sorts who used it regularly, Kennedy used to bring Marilyn Monroe there! Another good one on the wharf is aliottos which is a lot cheaper and impossible to miss.Can't understand myself people who travel around the world as tourists but turn their noses up at 'tourist ' attractions !! Would you go to Cairo and give the pyramids a swerve,or not fancy the Great Wall of china because there are a few too many japs with **** off cameras about!!!! Although I admit to not being arsed going to chichen itza in Mexico because the hotel had a beach party on!!
One thing I would recommend if you have the time , is too drive a bit along the pacific highway ( not the freeway) ,amazing scenery and spots to park up along (Hearst castle).We took 2 days driving from Santa Monica , stopping overnight at Cambria and Carmel , very reasonable motel prices as well!!

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
This saturday

mo4xzsvh194ka2bsyh8x.jpg

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Bar at the top of the Sir Francis Drake Hotel - about the 40th floor. Like shooting fish in a barrel with an english accent. Even for a monstrously ugly person like me. Was epic.

Bars on a friday night are absolutely fantastic- we had an office in folsom street in the financial banking district and it was just an utter blur of fun work and women.

truly a tremendous place.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Most responses on here have already covered SFO and surrounding area, it is a great city with lots to do. A good way to break the ice and get a feel for the layout and atmosphere is by taking a couple of the cable car routes, perhaps to Fishermans Wharf, although best avoided at peak times, however your body clocks may help you there!

I can also vouch for hiring bikes near Fishermans Wharf and cycling over The Golden Gate to Sausalito for lunch and return by the ferry, if the weather is kind you will get stunning views of the bridge, bay, Alcatraz and the City. Very manageable, do give it a try.

Another vote for Carmel, Monterey (the bay itself and Aquarium are world class, not to be missed), look out for Sea Otters and maybe whales along the 17 mile drive, if you are interested in golf then have a drink at Pebble Beach golf course before heading south along the coast road down to Santa Barbara, which is exactly what you imagine California to be like.

For a preview of the coastline just watch the TV coverage of the Tour of California cycle event being shown live on Sky each night this week (don't forget to cheer on Wiggo, Cav and Yates etc) !!!!.

Yosemite and the Sierras are stunning if you have a few more days to spare. However Sonoma and Napa are only an hour or so north from SFO over The Golden Gate, so worth a drive, but don't over indulge in the winerys because the Police have a zero tolerance approach to drink driving.

I'm not a great fan of LA and wouldn't spend much time there but San Diego is very pleasant and as suggested a trip to Tijuana is interesting.........

Have a great time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yellowstone national park for a day, well worth getting up before dawn. I went in February in a minibus party. Long ride but worth it, it's magnificent

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Lovely city, lovely area ... but Market Street is full of dirty, smelly homeless people. Really spoils the city. The only good news is that they don't do hills so you'll only find them in the flat bits of town. There is a very nice neighbourhood called Cow Hollow (restaurants, shops, bars, coffee shops) west along Union Street (Google it). Sausalito over the Golden Gate Bridge a must for lunch.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Lovely city, lovely area ... but Market Street is full of dirty, smelly homeless people. Really spoils the city. The only good news is that they don't do hills so you'll only find them in the flat bits of town. There is a very nice neighbourhood called Cow Hollow (restaurants, shops, bars, coffee shops) west along Union Street (Google it). Sausalito over the Golden Gate Bridge a must for lunch.

I believe Market Street is twinned with Croydon.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Just heading out of the Bay Area on the train to Sacramento - skirting the edge of Napa. Which reminded me of this thread, and what a delight Napa and Samona are. Well worth the drive, the new Bay Bridge is pretty spectacular as an alternative to the Golden Gate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here