Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

San Francisco any tips please

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Hire a bike and cycle around the front and over the golden gate.

Didn't think much of the fish restos around the piers. Bit gimmicky.

Apart from that awesome city.

If the Giants are playing go an watch them

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Catch a sunny few hours at a baseball game. Go whale-watching from Monterey. Vist Magic Mountain, near LA (Viper and Goliath are my personal favourites - if you're short of time then Knott's Berry Farm in Orange County is the best 'compact' thrills park I've ever been to - Xcelerator is amazing). Wander around Venice and Santa Monica beachfronts. Monterey farmer's market on a Tuesday evening is nice. Best do some shopping, just for the hell of it. Don't bother with Hollywood - imagine Camden market, but with more fat people and messier pavements.

Apologies for flip-flopping between north and south.

Avoid/boycott Seaworld.

Also going in Aug for a birthday. LA, Las Vegas, SF, Santa Barbara and then San Diego.

Planning on driving between SF and San Diego with 1 night in Santa Barbara via Pacific Hway. Have looked at various websites and they advise that this is too much in 2 days. Cars all booked and hotels sorted so just going to go for it. Has anyone done this drive and what were their experience?

That's a long old drive with only a single night stop to break it up. It won't afford you much time to stop and do things, merely to whistle past all the sights and put your foot down a bit when you hit the 101/405/5 to make up some time. If you can book another night somewhere, even if it means doubling-back on yourself a bit to get things done, it'll be well worth it.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Get to a Giants game for sure.
Also loved Sausalito, though personally would go by boat across the bay rather than taking the GGB. You get a better view of the bridge that way. Then again, I love boats.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Get to a Giants game for sure.
Also loved Sausalito, though personally would go by boat across the bay rather than taking the GGB. You get a better view of the bridge that way. Then again, I love boats.

You can do both if you wish. If you hire a bike on the seafront you can bike the bridge, have lunch in Sausalito then get the boat back. You don't need to be Bradley Wiggins for the bike ride as its mostly flat.

Alcatraz is good. The OP will enjoy that.

My favourite city San Francisco. Great Place.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
SF - GG Bridge, Marin headlands, Sausalito, Alcatraz, Coit Tower, Pier 39 (but only for the sea lions), Farmer's market in the Ferry building. More bars and restaurants than you can shake a stick at (PM me for details if interested)

Near SF - North: Wine country (prefer Sonoma valley to Napa personally), South: Route 1 South (all the way to SD if you like, but it's slow), Santa Cruz (to laugh at the surfer dudes, ride the wooden roller coaster and seeing the pelicans fly low over the beach), Monterey Bay (for the world class aquarium and to hire a canoe and paddle out to within touching distance of wild sea otters hunting in the kelp, and for diving if you're into it and for whale watching), Carmel (for the stunning beach, antiques and for 17 mile drive around the coast with Pebble beach)

Santa Barbara - just beautiful

SD - go on a couple of WWII ships, including a carrier; Sea World; Tijuana (then you've been to Mexico too [but you haven't really, of course])

Have fun.

I did a road trip from SF to LA, went north first and loved the wine region. Sonoma Valley and all that. We stayed in a beautiful small tine called Calostiga (aka known as 'mud city' - full of spa's etc and great restaurants) we visited the Kendwood vinery. Absolutely gorgeous.

Then down the coast road (big sur route 101) loads of great places to stop off at. Enjoyed Carmel & Pebble beach etc...

As for SF itself, amazing place. Great food places - china town, little Italy etc... Try the Stlnkinh Rose Garlic restaurant for the 40 clove chicken dish...

Golden gate park is good too with a lovely Japanese tea garden & cafe..

Very jealous, so much to do & see!

Enjoy!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Hire a bike and cycle around the front and over the golden gate.

Very much this ..if you are able and active enough ride to sausalito or Tibero (spelling ) and get the ferry back . a great day out

solly

Aug 31, 2005
We were there last September on a coast to coast motorcycle trip, SF and Norlins were two of my favourites. We are going back in August for a mini road trip from LA to LV Death valley to SF then PCH 1 back down to Carmen Montery and LA.
Glad I read this as we seem to have missed a fair bit on the first trip

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd recommend that you start a thread on an online forum to let everyone know about your exciting holiday plans. :thumbsup:

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Do i detect a pint of bitter there HKFC ? sorry Envy !

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Now now HKFC i am sure you could run to a long weekend in Clacton . There again i do not know you

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Take afternoon tea or a glass of champagne in the Top of the Mark restaurant bar on the top floor of the Mark Hopkins Hotel situated on Nob Hill (snigger), a short tram ride away from the city centre and gives truly amazing views over the whole city, bay area, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Now now HKFC i am sure you could run to a long weekend in Clacton . There again i do not know you

That's kind of the point, really. You don't get these threads asking "Any tips on things to do in Kendall?" or "Anyone been to Prestatyn?"

Its always, "San Fransisco tips please", "Things to do in New York", and "Anyone know bars showing the match in the Maldives?"

Where I'm going on holiday is irrelevant.

Its VULGAR :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here