Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Jewell

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
We’ll have a plan. I find all of this hype about individuals in the backroom teams of clubs quite puzzling. It’s about the blend of talent surely and how it all works together. Co-ordinating that seems to be Ashworth’s strength - and his track record suggest he is very good at it - but he’s now being credited in the supposedly cerebral newspapers with singlehandedly signing Mac & Caicedo for peanuts and making Albion a massive profit. And so the legend grows. Even if that was true (unlikely) Ashworth didn’t personally transform them into great talents or absolutely spank Chelsea for a gigantic fee.

Sam Jewell sounds like an excellent operator and I hope he sticks around. Over the years though there’ve been loads of these type of moves & how often does the individual reproduce the same ‘magic’ at another club. Working from my sketchy memory, wasn’t it Everton that took Leicester’s top guy (Steve Walsh?) That went well. Once upon a time Graham Carr was the star maker at Newcastle - then barely talked about again, other than being Alan’s dad. And we seemingly thought David Burke was the key to Southampton’s success, before ending up with Chris O’Grady as our big scoring hope. I think it’s the nature of the business, a bit like playing the stock market, that there are hits and misses. A few high profile hits and you’re considered a genius but nobody’s immune from a downturn.

Even with someone apparently as well-connected as Jewell, you still need to provide the right environment for the player, the right coaching to improve them, the right team ethic and players around them plus the right negotiator to rinse the next buyer, who then spends 2 years wondering why the lad looked so much better in Brighton’s set-up.

In short, no panic - life continues. Tony’s going nowhere.

This is an absolutely perfect summary of it all.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I seem to recall that when Winstanley left for Chelsea, and Ashworth for Newcastle there were lots of doom mongers. There were a few however,who said that the effect on Brighton would be minimal , as these positions were long term stategists rather than concerned with immediate transfer signings, and that we had replacements either ready to go or at the very least identified. This has proved to be the case

The flip side to that ifor the new clubs is that those same people in their new positions (slightly different) were also going to have no immediate effect on the field. It takes time. Ashworth and Winstanley have barely had time to make the substantial systemic changes to either Newcastle or Chelsea required to start to change the ethos at both clubs

Whilst San is closer to day to day transfers he certainly isnt the only one, and I believe he was a replacement for the position caused by other movements triggered in part by the loss of Winstanley and Ashworth

Barber has said on many occasions that the club succesion plan includes all key off and on field personel, including him

IF, and it is an IF Sam leaves, I really cant see that we would be badly compromised, unless all the previously demonstrated succesion planning has been thrown out and forgotten about
As supporters all we can do is see the progress of youngsters on the pitch. Post Ashworth & co a couple of examples Baleba looks over priced & Ayari looks way off it. Bart for £20m work in progress. The spend has gone up has the quality gone down?
Compared to Mitoma, Enciso, Pervis, Cucurella, Caciedo.
Looking forward to seeing how Barco & Osman progress.

The stats software identifies players I get that although that is only the first step. We then need someone to see if they think that player will be able to compete at PL level. Winstanley may of had that in his locker.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
As supporters all we can do is see the progress of youngsters on the pitch. Post Ashworth & co a couple of examples Baleba looks over priced & Ayari looks way off it. Bart for £20m work in progress. The spend has gone up has the quality gone down?
Ashworth also signed kasper koslowski, Karbownik, Matt Clarke, Zeqiri, Neil Maupay (instead of Ollie Watkins!), Kjel Scherpen, none of which were or are likely to be a success with us, jury also still out on whether we'll get our money back on Sima. There are always going to be hits and misses and it's ridiculous to write off Baleba, a teenager in his first ever Prem season, remember how long it took Mac? In terms of costs, I think unfortunately there is high transfer inflation right now and we have competition for all our signings, as as soon as we are interested agents share the news, so suspect we are paying higher fees to get deals done.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Chelsea have made an offer for Jewell, according to The telegraph. Bidding war incoming?
I wonder what Chelsea fans think of this bearing in mind recent acquisitions from us on the playing and back room staff? Todd seems to have the Midas touch but everything he touches turns to crap!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What are you thinking?
Just wondering if he still based himself in Cheshire or actually lived down here. Makes a move to Man Utd a bit more likely

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just wondering if he still based himself in Cheshire or actually lived down here. Makes a move to Man Utd a bit more likely
So you're not organising a mob?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
He’s obviously a man in demand. I expect he’ll want to go to United.
However, he stayed after Rangers offered him their Director of football job and so we may have increased his pay and contractual terms at that point to help keep him. If he goes I expect a decent compensation payment coming our way and maybe he’s put on garden leave to take him past the next transfer window.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
We let Winstanley go to Chelsea immediately because they paid compensation, so no gardening leave. He repaid us by buying Datro Fofana who Brighton were bidding for, so hopefully a lesson has been learnt.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ashworth also signed kasper koslowski, Karbownik, Matt Clarke, Zeqiri, Neil Maupay (instead of Ollie Watkins!), Kjel Scherpen, none of which were or are likely to be a success with us, jury also still out on whether we'll get our money back on Sima. There are always going to be hits and misses and it's ridiculous to write off Baleba, a teenager in his first ever Prem season, remember how long it took Mac? In terms of costs, I think unfortunately there is high transfer inflation right now and we have competition for all our signings, as as soon as we are interested agents share the news, so suspect we are paying higher fees to get deals done.
Baleba will be a great player.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I believe that is wrong. He was top scorer in Scotchland with Rangers apparently desperate for his signature.

The jury are deliberating on how much profit we’ll make, not if we’ll make a loss.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Maupay was our top scorer cant complain with that, the others were relatively low transfer fees. As for Baleba £20m is high transfer fee for us although I agree it takes time I would have hoped to see something more from the lad.
Cucurella was 21 when he signed first season in the PL around the same fee and hit the ground running.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

The stats software identifies players I get that although that is only the first step. We then need someone to see if they think that player will be able to compete at PL level. Winstanley may of had that in his locker.

The spend was always going to rise though as selling clubs know we’ve made a packet in the transfer market plus the calibre of player we now require has become much higher if they’re to make an impact in the top half & Europe. It gets harder and harder to integrate the players with potential the more successful the club becomes.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I don't know the planning timeline though...is it possible that Baleba and Ayari were identified during Ashworth's stay with us 🤔

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Maupay was our top scorer cant complain with that, the others were relatively low transfer fees. As for Baleba £20m is high transfer fee for us although I agree it takes time I would have hoped to see something more from the lad.
Cucurella was 21 when he signed first season in the PL around the same fee and hit the ground running.
Cucurella was 23 when he signed, a lot older and more experienced than Baleba.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here