Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock made the difference

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Hmm, where did he feature in the three second half goals, he was on the pitch and made a contribution, but don't overstate this. He is a striker and he doesn't strike, certainly he made a greater effort last night but to try and make him something he is not is trivialising the contribution of others.

Sorry but I don't agree, everything you do on the pitch can directly affect the game, regardless if you score goals, touch the ball etc. His running and chasing down put a complete stop to QPR having time and space to play the ball around, this is all that I'm saying. Because of this we had the space to create chances and score goals. I think it would have been a much more tense 2nd half had we stuck with Wilson.

Edit: it's worth saying I'm not taking anything away from the other players, knockaert was MOM by a country mile and I probably would give Sam a 7/10, but simply his presence on the pitch changed the pattern of the game, hence why I am saying that he made the difference.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not saying he contributed directly to the goals, he contributed to the shifting of the balance of the game.
I wasn't disagreeing with that and I know he what he generally brings to our game.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm still not convinced people are being serious. How can such an ineffective "performance" be considered game changing? We were 1-0 up and REALLY comfortable, QPR weren't hurting us at all. He came on and disappeared, he made no contribution at all but people are claiming that, despite not being involved in anything, his presence helps the team in some way? Or that his tireless work rate (which is no better than average, in context) compares him to Emile Heskey?!

I can't believe how blinkered people are to how awful a player he is, despite the rest of the team around him. We have some genuinely top quality players in the team, but even when we're playing players like Skalak and Knockaert who have a direct impact in every game - people can't see how little Baldock offers? It's fine to disagree with me, but seriously, that isn't based on what actually happens on the pitch. Now I understand why the CMS knockers were so frustrated with people like me who always believed in him!

Rarely have we expected so little from a player.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I like Sam Milliband.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Now I understand why the CMS knockers were so frustrated with people like me who always believed in him!

Oh dear. Your argument and defence in your belief was interesting (IMO) until that point.

The biggest difference between CMS and Baldock is touch and running off the ball, one runs along the line looking for an opening, (Baldock). One runs in a straight line, closes off options and basically adds nothing other than chasing pointless causes (CMS).

FWIW I think Baldock is ok, nothing more, not premiership class but a reasonable championship player. CMS is a good lower league player.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The sooner people realise there's far, far more to a strikers' game than how many goals they score the better. Black and white championship manager generation analyses at its finest.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I arrived much earlier than normal last night and ,whilst sitting in WSU at around 7 O'clock,the team was read out. When Baldock's name was read out someone to my left and slightly lower down shouted W*NKER really loudly. If that was you and you read this and post on here you really need to take a long hard look at yourself. As an aside. It was Baldock who won the corner leading to the third goal.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I arrived much earlier than normal last night and ,whilst sitting in WSU at around 7 O'clock,the team was read out. When Baldock's name was read out someone to my left and slightly lower down shouted W*NKER really loudly. If that was you and you read this and post on here you really need to take a long hard look at yourself. As an aside. It was Baldock who won the corner leading to the third goal.

Read through this thread and maybe you can deduce who that was :lolol:

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I'm still not convinced people are being serious. How can such an ineffective "performance" be considered game changing? We were 1-0 up and REALLY comfortable, QPR weren't hurting us at all. He came on and disappeared, he made no contribution at all but people are claiming that, despite not being involved in anything, his presence helps the team in some way? Or that his tireless work rate (which is no better than average, in context) compares him to Emile Heskey?!

I can't believe how blinkered people are to how awful a player he is, despite the rest of the team around him. We have some genuinely top quality players in the team, but even when we're playing players like Skalak and Knockaert who have a direct impact in every game - people can't see how little Baldock offers? It's fine to disagree with me, but seriously, that isn't based on what actually happens on the pitch. Now I understand why the CMS knockers were so frustrated with people like me who always believed in him!

Genuine question, as I don't know. But have you ever played the game before? Very strange viewpoint.

He isn't the most talented player in our squad, that is obvious. But you cannot doubt the fact that we look a better team when he is on the pitch. He has an indirect influence on the game and is a team player. It was his run that ultimately created the Skalak goal, if Wilson were on the pitch instead then that chance is never created.

You say you liked CMS... which is just bizarre because Baldock is basically an upgrade to CMS. Let me guess, did you also not like Ashley Barnes either?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I wasn't a great fan of Baldock but he has amazed me recently with his work rate and the way he is utilised by CH.
So has become a fairly important player.
so for that well done Sam keep it up son.
Although I will just add this, he was bought as an out and out striker and has completely failed in that respect.
It was very very lucky that someone like CH came along and found other qualities in him.
There are plenty of people on here with very short memories that were all slagging him off at one point about how bad a striker we have bought, including myself, so stop with your " ooh I said all all along what a great and important player he would be attitudes because it's bollox.A lot of people on here again including me wanted him out.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Have to agree Sam made a massive contribution last night with his running off the ball. If only he could finish too...

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It helped that QPR had to become even more attacking than they already were once we went 1-0 ahead. More space for us to play in, more chances on the break. Rather like Friday night

Agree with this. QPR defended much deeper than Fulham and were prepared to let us have the ball in our half. There was no space for Wilson to exploit behind their back 4. I suspect he felt something and was taken off at half time, as Houghton very rarely makes subs at HT. I have always rated Baldock as a very clever player.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Have to agree Sam made a massive contribution last night with his running off the ball. If only he could finish too...

This is my point he's just not a goal scorer which is what he was bought for.
He does work hard a lot of the time, but we could have bought someone else cheaper than him that would have done an even better job. Then spent the excess on a half decent striker.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Oh dear. Your argument and defence in your belief was interesting (IMO) until that point.

The biggest difference between CMS and Baldock is touch and running off the ball, one runs along the line looking for an opening, (Baldock). One runs in a straight line, closes off options and basically adds nothing other than chasing pointless causes (CMS).

FWIW I think Baldock is ok, nothing more, not premiership class but a reasonable championship player. CMS is a good lower league player.

I don't agree with that either, I don't think there's much difference between the runs that they make because Baldock rarely runs into a position where he can actually affect the game. Look at Skalak's goal last night, where's Baldock going? Maybe there's a 1 in 5 chance the ball will reach him when he makes that run, but that's not good enough. Even on the rare occasion that his run is fed, he does nothing with it and I don't think there's too much difference between the runs either of them make/made for us, but that's very subjective to be fair.

The sooner people realise there's far, far more to a strikers' game than how many goals they score the better. Black and white championship manager generation analyses at its finest.

Not really, there's just a difference between people who like players who affect the game rather than players who don't. Baldock doesn't impact the game, and I'm surprised that more people aren't thinking more about the impact of Skalak in comparison with Baldock. Skalak has played only a few games but he's already piling into the assists and he's off the mark with a goal. He has done more in the last month than Baldock has done in two years and that isn't debatable.

Read through this thread and maybe you can deduce who that was :lolol:

I don't sit in WSU, it's a bit harsh to assume that was me. I make no reaction of any kind to his name being read out.

Genuine question, as I don't know. But have you ever played the game before? Very strange viewpoint.

He isn't the most talented player in our squad, that is obvious. But you cannot doubt the fact that we look a better team when he is on the pitch. He has an indirect influence on the game and is a team player. It was his run that ultimately created the Skalak goal, if Wilson were on the pitch instead then that chance is never created.

You say you liked CMS... which is just bizarre because Baldock is basically an upgrade to CMS. Let me guess, did you also not like Ashley Barnes either?

I have, and still do, play the game in my own way! I did like CMS because of his endeavour and his work rate but also because he seemed selfless to a fault. I don't get that sense from Baldock in the slightest and I also wouldn't say that Wilson wouldn't have made the run Baldock did for the Skalak goal - that's an unsupportable claim. Baldock isn't an upgrade on CMS, not for the £2million we wasted on him.

I neither liked nor disliked Ashley Barnes, I often wear the shirt with Barnes 9 on the back of it. You can't compare Baldock and Barnes though, Barnes scored goals, made goals and had a very tangible impact on the game. Baldock does none of those things, which is why he'll drift back toward League 1 very soon wheras Barnes will be back in the Premier League and that's no accident. Barnes is a far superior player.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Baldock made a difference last night. I think his movement and awareness is better than Wilson's, and he forms a more natural striking partnership with Hemed. He shows some great touches at times, though funnily enough I seem to recall him losing the ball a couple of times last night, which is unusual.

Anyway, isn't there some stat which shows we've not lost a single game this season when Baldock and Hemed have started up front?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I didn't really see the match tonight, as such, left my glasses in the car and had to use my sunglasses to watch but I just looked Alice Cooper and far to weird so took them off and watched in a blur so I can't really comment. But to be honest, in my own personal opinion, I find him (in social media street cred language) a bit 'meh'. I'm not sure if I like him or not, very much a CMS scenario for me, if not in the same vein.

Only similarity to Muttley is the energy and running.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Baldock made a difference last night. I think his movement and awareness is better than Wilson's, and he forms a more natural striking partnership with Hemed. He shows some great touches at times, though funnily enough I seem to recall him losing the ball a couple of times last night, which is unusual.

Anyway, isn't there some stat which shows we've not lost a single game this season when Baldock and Hemed have started up front?

That stat is our equivalent of that bizarre stat a few years ago about Gareth Bale, wasn't it like 20 something games he had played in that Spurs didn't win? It's a stat which had nothing to do with him personally, same as Baldock's stat of not having lost this season. Obviously, it's a remarkable stat but it's a quirk of football and very little to do with the player himself. But bottom line, if he starts the last three games of the season and maintains that record, I'm not going to be unhappy. Players and come and players go.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Baldock did play well last night, and for all the reaaons that have so eloquently been put above. You should judge the player by his play not your expectations based onhis 'designated' position. Cannot understand how some refuse to see his worth.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I don't agree with that either, I don't think there's much difference between the runs that they make because Baldock rarely runs into a position where he can actually affect the game. Look at Skalak's goal last night, where's Baldock going? Maybe there's a 1 in 5 chance the ball will reach him when he makes that run, but that's not good enough. Even on the rare occasion that his run is fed, he does nothing with it and I don't think there's too much difference between the runs either of them make/made for us, but that's very subjective to be fair.

What you are missing is that his runs do not mean he is always going to get the ball, but it does mean that he pulls the opposition defence all over the place, the fact that he has an excellent first touch means that defenders can't afford to give him any time or space to bring the ball down, forcing rushed clearances and errors. Wilson is OK at doing this, but his lethargy means he doesn't do it as often and as effectively as Baldock does. Skalak and Knockaert have been excellent, yes, but you need to create space for your top players to use. If they don't have space they also become ineffective. Baldock helped create that space last night, and if you can't see that then, I'm sorry, but you are incredibly blinkered.

I don't sit in WSU, it's a bit harsh to assume that was me. I make no reaction of any kind to his name being read out.

Come off it, that was a joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here