Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sajid Javid resigns as Chancellor of the Exchequer

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sue-Ellen is her real first name, and being born in 1980, I have to assume her parents were fans of TV show Dallas, though why you would name your daughter after an alcoholic character I don't know.

She also must be the first Attorney General not to be a QC.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Sue-Ellen is her real first name, and being born in 1980, I have to assume her parents were fans of TV show Dallas, though why you would name your daughter after an alcoholic character I don't know.

Fallon Sherrock for Chancellor then? As long as she doesn't get abducted by aliens.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
her only redeeming feature was her mellifluous name Suella Fernandes, and she's even lost that now...
I thought Leave means Leave. Surely we are sending the Mellifluons home - not giving them jobs in the government.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
She also must be the first Attorney General not to be a QC.

Sunak has also become Chancellor without being a cabinet minister or shadow cabinet minister (he was chief secretary to the treasury but was not a cabinet rank).

I've not see any reference to this in any articles but surely this is very rare - if not unique.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sunak has also become Chancellor without being a cabinet minister or shadow cabinet minister (he was chief secretary to the treasury but was not a cabinet rank).

I've not see any reference to this in any articles but surely this is very rare - if not unique.

Gordon Brown and George Osborne?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here we go internal government scrutiny is under attack.

A pair of insecure narcissists surrounding themselves with sycophants

Maybe with Harry & Megan saw this coming

I don't see Sunak as a sycophant based on what I've read - more a rabidly ambitious political manoueverer so may come back to bite Boris at some point. Ex-GS so will be extremely bright, seemingly works incredibly hard (again, wouldn't have survived at GS otherwise) and married to the daughter of a billionaire so not in this for the money (he'd have been getting paid massively more at GS anyway). Massive promotion for him though.................

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Norman Lamont also went from Chief Secretary to the Treasury to Chancellor, but that was when it was a cabinet position not an 'attending one.' There's certainly no post war Chancellor who has not held a cabinet or shadow cabinet position before taking office looking at the list of them. I did think Roy Jenkins for a moment, but he was Home Secretary in between being Minister of Aviation and becoming Chancellor.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gordon Brown and George Osborne?

Brown was shadow chancellor for five years (having been in the shadow cabinet for five years before that)

Osborne was also shadolw chancellor for five years - and was already in the shadow cabinet

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Brown was shadow chancellor for five years (having been in the shadow cabinet for five years before that)

Osborne was also shadolw chancellor for five years - and was already in the shadow cabinet

Sorry didn't read your 'shadow' bit properly.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
[tweet]1228263906277253121[/tweet]

Surprised they didn't pass a tennis ball round to introduce themselves.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Loved it until I spotted that it was brought to us by a lying facist rag!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This will end in tears, Boris doesn't have any MP political friends. The nearest he has is Gove and that's only a married of convenience until he stabs him in the back again.

- that's why Cummings is there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here