[Politics] Safeguards on food standards have been removed.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Am I led to believe nobody on here buys bags of ready washed salad leaves from the supermarket? Same amount of chlorine used in the wash. Do we not immerse ourselves in chlorine every time we use the swimming pool? I know I do but I shower immediately afterwards, I wash salad leaves before use and wash chicken before use.

you wash chicken? really? why?

I do occaisionally rinse salad leaves if there's signs of meaty goodness crawling on them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Am I led to believe nobody on here buys bags of ready washed salad leaves from the supermarket? Same amount of chlorine used in the wash. Do we not immerse ourselves in chlorine every time we use the swimming pool? I know I do but I shower immediately afterwards, I wash salad leaves before use and wash chicken before use.

Cheese, don't forget cheese.

Always worth a run under a cold, flowing faucet prior to consumption.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bearing in mind the source and volume, I think anyone would be hard pushed to apply any gravitas to this.

View attachment 129429

Still, if it suits the narrative then who am I to argue?

Fwiw, a vote for either is a disaster imho.

I didn't look at the source. The headline just flashed up on my phone. I suppose that's a bit of a relief that was the source. But still. These are supposed to be educated people. Makes you wonder what has been taught to those people ?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton

I multitask and always take my chicken and salad leaves with me in to the swimming pool. It's this kind of innovation that makes Britain great.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

For me and I think for most the chlorine is not so much the problem as the reasons for it being needed in the first place.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1315702629108985861[/TWEET]

Yummy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

The problem is not the chlorine, otherwise everyone would die the minute they stepped into a swimming pool. The problem is the reason why it's needed in the first place and the atrocious conditions the animals are treated in making them swimming with disease. To make your analogy better it'd be like washing the chlorine off salad leaves which were grown in Chernobyl, the chlorine might be gone but there's still a rather large problem you haven't solved.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Very poor from the government. 9 out of 10 members of the public want food standards enshrined in law, yet a government majority opposed this bill because they'd already "committed to ensuring that UK food standards would be kept in any post-Brexit trade agreements".

Hmm... The government don't lie, do they???

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
So much ignorance in this discussion.

Food standards have not been removed. We have some of the highest food standards in the world. Although, incidentally, not as high as the U.S.

"the Global Food Security Index compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit, for example, rates the US above the UK for “quality and safety” of food."
https://www.ft.com/content/57824bdb-1dfe-40e9-b2ee-b37092b65fb0

The reason that the amendment was rejected is nothing to do with wanting chlorinated chicken. It is illegal in the UK - regardless of this amendment. It has to do with the likelihood that this broad amendment would prevent the importation of food products from developing countries. It's about the possible unintended consequences of this amendment, not the intended consequences of it.

But the suggestion that this was a vote against food standards, or that food standards have been removed or lowered, is a LIE.

Anyone saying that is either ignorant or dishonest, apparently that covers quite a lot of people.

This is like me demanding that you sign a pledge which includes a commitment not to beat your wife. You tell me that there are issues with this pledge and you won't be signing it. I then declare that you have voted to be able to beat your wife.

I always knew you wanted to beat your wife, and now you've gone and proved it.

This is political spin at it's absolute finest.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Bearing in mind the source and volume, I think anyone would be hard pushed to apply any gravitas to this.

View attachment 129429

gaslighting...here's the reality = yougov, Express = bollox

EjzT6EQWAAE_-gq.jpeg

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

View attachment 129429

My word. Applying the word "poll" to this (in the context of actual political polling) is ... I'm actually lost for words. Of course they were going to get a pro-Trump result: they self-selected a pro-Trump audience before they even asked the question.

[...] wash chicken before use.

You do? Might want to educate yourself: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/never-wash-raw-chicken/

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Can you explain the title?

An amendment on a new bill was voted down. But how would that remove existing standards?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So much ignorance in this discussion.

Food standards have not been removed. We have some of the highest food standards in the world. Although, incidentally, not as high as the U.S.

"the Global Food Security Index compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit, for example, rates the US above the UK for “quality and safety” of food."
https://www.ft.com/content/57824bdb-1dfe-40e9-b2ee-b37092b65fb0

The reason that the amendment was rejected is nothing to do with wanting chlorinated chicken. It is illegal in the UK - regardless of this amendment. It has to do with the likelihood that this broad amendment would prevent the importation of food products from developing countries. It's about the possible unintended consequences of this amendment, not the intended consequences of it.

But the suggestion that this was a vote against food standards, or that food standards have been removed or lowered, is a LIE.

Anyone saying that is either ignorant or dishonest, apparently that covers quite a lot of people.

This is like me demanding that you sign a pledge which includes a commitment not to beat your wife. You tell me that there are issues with this pledge and you won't be signing it. I then declare that you have voted to be able to beat your wife.

I always knew you wanted to beat your wife, and now you've gone and proved it.

This is political spin at it's absolute finest.

Doesn't say anything much about welfare, quality and safety process. Does one assume Italy or Portugal doesn't rank or produce any food?

maybe someones wife likes being spanked. :rolleyes:

https://www.savills.com/impacts/natural-forces/new-zealand-tops-savills-food-security-index.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports