Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Safeguards on food standards have been removed.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good explanation from Jamie Oliver

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/present...ien-his-fears-for-food-standards-post-brexit/

Why on earth would we want to enter a race to the bottom with the US? Protect what we have and develop new markets that have a desire for premium and quality products.

The risk with all this now is the use of secondary legislation, parliament is being sidelined. Shame on every Tory MP that voted this through.#

Channel Dispatches last night was a real eye opener on US food production, not just Chloro Chicken

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
What a grubby and mindless little government we have. Dragging our reputation into the gutter while they crawl on their knees to Trump for a trade deal that will never happen because Congress won’t sanction any deal with the UK in light of our ignoring the risk to the Good Friday Agreement when we broke international law by “diverting” from the EU Withdrawal Agrerment

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Plenty of farmers voted for Brexit, or supported it judging by the signs you see on many farmers fields. Unlucky for them when we start sourcing much cheaper meat / food from outside the country than we do now

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Does this mean that Deliveroo's standards are going to drop even lower than the previous gutter level :snrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The risk with all this now is the use of secondary legislation, parliament is being sidelined. Shame on every Tory MP that voted this through.#

what secondary legislation, nothing was passed. they voted against an amendment that directed ministers to follow existing standards. so you mean use of secondary legislation that already exists and could be used to change standards?

we have a very topsy turvey world, seems problem with representative democracy is no one knows whats happening in legislation, only know they are for or against the version they want to hear.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Plenty of farmers voted for Brexit, or supported it judging by the signs you see on many farmers fields. Unlucky for them when we start sourcing much cheaper meat / food from outside the country than we do now

Like the road hauliers, they voted for Brexit and are now whinging about their livelihoods due to increased costs and delays. But as Boris said, they should focus on the opportunities, or maybe retrain? Plenty for then to ponder at the job centre. Get over it. Stop moaning. It’s the democratic will of the people.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Farmers were advised by the NFU to vote Remain, so the warnings were there. The split in the farming vote reflected the public with 52% to leave, and 48% to remain.

Those who think that they’ll be ok because they can choose, should be aware that food labelling, organic, country of origin, even which farm, etc is an EU directive, so will be binned.

It’s the boiling frog syndrome.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You're absolutely right, nothing has changed yet.

Makes you wonder why they would go through all the hassle and negative publicity of this doesn't it ???

a fair point, a product of our adversarial politics. flip side, if you read the amendment you'd wonder why the Lords bothered, its seems weak (ministers can change standards to meet imports). smarter political minds would have waved it through.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Farmers were advised by the NFU to vote Remain, so the warnings were there. The split in the farming vote reflected the public with 52% to leave, and 48% to remain.

Those who think that they’ll be ok because they can choose, should be aware that food labelling, organic, country of origin, even which farm, etc is an EU directive, so will be binned.

It’s the boiling frog syndrome.

I was about to make the same point about the removal of labelling. I guess the only way to ensure you know the source of any produce once we allow sub standard US food in, is to shop at farm shops and local producers. Or go veggie.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Tory scum determined to wipe out all the taxpayers who survive covid 19 by food poisoning.

Or maybe it's a cunning plan to get rid of everyone on benefits.

Sent from my SM-J330F using Tapatalk

I really need to think of an equally scathing, ridiculous, insulting term for Labour supporters. Maybe plebs, halfwits, cockroaches, contagion, or plain old simple dirt on my shoe? But then again, I actually don’t feel the need to hate all those with differing political opinion to myself, it reduces those that do to Trump level in my opinion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was about to make the same point about the removal of labelling. I guess the only way to ensure you know the source of any produce once we allow sub standard US food in, is to shop at farm shops and local producers. Or go veggie.

Even veggie has its problems because of genetically modified crops sprayed with chemicals. It’s the age old thing of, you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.

Buying from farm shops is an option but they will be able to charge as much as they like, so their prices will be out of reach to most.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ah, so we've started another Brexit thread ? Super !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

'Keep of My Land' was not an immigration satement and desire to be insular. :lolol: :hilton:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

During proper lockdown, the farm shop we used was rammed every Saturday morning. Long queues and a lot of food boxes being 'built' for delivery.

Now it is back to normal and not that busy at all, because everyone has gone back to the supermarkets because they are 'cheaper' - same thing will happen here

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Grow your own . . . . or use a trustworthy supermarket. Whatever, everything is going to get more expensive. except the crap, which will be the same price as the crap currently on offer, but a bit crapper.

why have low quality chicken @ £X /kg from the EU/UK when you can have older lower quality chicked from the US at the same price but with free air miles. utterly bonkers, but just what so many British idiots voted for

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ah, so we've started another Brexit thread ? Super !

Thought this was about the significant/exponentially increased likelihood (certainty IMO) that the UK would either directly or indirectly act to lower animal welfare standards? :shrug:

Do you think this is a positive move in this regard?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here