Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe Standing

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
People want a return of terraces and this is currently the closest you'll get. You don't have a choice if that's where your ticket is, no different to what people would have done back in the 70s and 80s etc. There were no places to sit in the North Stand then.

People? Who are these "people" you speak of? Have you carried out a poll of fans?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If we were to have safe standing at the Amex, I’d love to see it in the south stand. That way we’d have (hopefully) some of our more vociferous fans next to the away section which would only help our atmosphere.

So where do we put the 3000k away allocation? Or are we no suggesting those that have sat happily in the South West or South East now have to move.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not talking about away games, I'm talking about home games where people have bought a season in the safe standing area - is it just a free for all?

Safe standing is about an allocated space so not a free for all and you're not supposed to wander around as that could mean overcrowding in some parts.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But who's to say that those that like to stand are "rowdie" or do you have to pass a "rowdie" test (as well as a singing audition), you know like a pre-match 6 pints of Stella and a line of coke, you're in!

And therein lies the problem, who decides who's good enough for the singing section!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Sorry, what is the point of your post? Some people want to stand some don't. The club have carried out a poll which they reported suggested there wasn't an appetite for it.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your point, as I thought you said "people" wanted a return to the terrace!

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
And therein lies the problem, who decides who's good enough for the singing section!

Blimey you really have got a bee in your bonnet about safe-standing. It's quite simple... if you apply for a ticket in a safe standing section you are doing so on the basis that you want to stand and sing. If you apply for a ticket in the ESU you are doing so on the basis that you prefer to sit and suck a Werthers. If you buy a ticket for the safe standing section and want to sit and have a peaceful time you are an idiot...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Never had a problem with that myself. It’s sort of an unwritten rule and if you aren’t aware then it’s either your first away game or you’re fighting against the tide. Live and let live I say.

If it was an unwritten rule, then there wouldn’t be any complaints about which seats are released / sold first in our away allocations. I think you’d be surprised at the small number who insist on “sitting” in the wrong place.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If it was an unwritten rule, then there wouldn’t be any complaints about which seats are released / sold first in our away allocations. I think you’d be surprised at the small number who insist on “sitting” in the wrong place.

Some like to think of it as an unwritten rule but that's claptrap. We'll always move people on from our seats and can't think of any occasion when they've objected.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Blimey you really have got a bee in your bonnet about safe-standing. It's quite simple... if you apply for a ticket in a safe standing section you are doing so on the basis that you want to stand and sing. If you apply for a ticket in the ESU you are doing so on the basis that you prefer to sit and suck a Werthers. If you buy a ticket for the safe standing section and want to sit and have a peaceful time you are an idiot...

Here we go again. What about those that have had their season ticket for years and have a group of people they meet and get on with but as far as you're concerned they're collateral damage. The truth is that we have a standing area and it's the North stand. I don't have a bee in my bonnet, I just can't fathom why some think having a rail in front of them will improve the atmosphere. And don't come back with the claptrap about injuries from seats because there's no history of them since we've been at the Amex!!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So where do we put the 3000k away allocation? Or are we no suggesting those that have sat happily in the South West or South East now have to move.
In the South Stand. The SE seats are the shittiest in the stadium (does anyone have a season ticket there?) so they’d be given over to some rail seating too.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
There has been a trial for unsafe standing in all-seater stadiums for ****ing years! Everyone knows it and everyone accepts it - especially in away ends. If rail seating is safer then it should be adopted and seating areas should be just that, seated and enforced.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Here we go again. What about those that have had their season ticket for years and have a group of people they meet and get on with but as far as you're concerned they're collateral damage. The truth is that we have a standing area and it's the North stand. I don't have a bee in my bonnet, I just can't fathom why some think having a rail in front of them will improve the atmosphere. And don't come back with the claptrap about injuries from seats because there's no history of them since we've been at the Amex!!!
I think you’ve forgotten how fantastic it is to stand on a terrace, ok it’s not the same as “safe standing” but it is similar. Going to Forest Green earlier in the season (papa John’s match) reminded me how great it was to be back on the terraces.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There has been a trial for unsafe standing in all-seater stadiums for ****ing years! Everyone knows it and everyone accepts it - especially in away ends. If rail seating is safer then it should be adopted and seating areas should be just that, seated and enforced.

This.

The virtual caliper standing arrangement is laughable. Standing was all about moving where you want and being in surges that tumbled down the terrace like a mosh pit. Men in their 50s with big bellies shouting and pointing then collapsing into their seat isn't 'standing'. Standing was all a long time ago. Still....for some a victory is won. Fill yer boots :drool:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you’ve forgotten how fantastic it is to stand on a terrace, ok it’s not the same as “safe standing” but it is similar. Going to Forest Green earlier in the season (papa John’s match) reminded me how great it was to be back on the terraces.

I stand at every away game and have done so for years. Safe standing is not what you're describing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We've been standing up quite safely for thousands of years, well, most of us have.

I'd rather see measures for safer/better stewarding/policing at football . . . About 30 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here