Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe Standing

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Anyone know what that seated section was in the upper tier at Chelsea? Was it some sort of ‘friends & family of players’ area? They sat down for almost the whole game and some didn’t even celebrate the goal.

Get a safe standing area in E1I next to the away end, I’ll move there if I can keep using the LFT’s to get in. Surprised that section isn’t already sold out for Palace actually, you’d think the ‘rowdy’ lot would want to be right next to them. Too expensive for them perhaps.

That section is largely populated by old folk and young kids which makes it especially embarrassing when the away fans make throat cutting gestures at them...

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Turfing out loyal long term fans, to make changes to appease a subsection of the fan base sounds a lot like what Palace did when the "ultras" decided they wanted to sit behind the goal. We were all lining up to criticise Palace for that.

There are no bad seats or views at The Amex; those who don't want to be in a safe standing section will be given plenty of re-location options. It would hardly be one of the great injustices of the century...

Oh and we were taking the piss out of Palace for the clumsy way they handled it. Now that Palace fans reckon they generate the best atmosphere in world football all the moaning has died down :lolol:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
That section is largely populated by old folk and young kids which makes it especially embarrassing when the away fans make throat cutting gestures at them...

Well, exactly. Even Reading have a youth section next to the away fans :facepalm:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Turfing out loyal long term fans, to make changes to appease a subsection of the fan base sounds a lot like what Palace did when the "ultras" decided they wanted to sit behind the goal. We were all lining up to criticise Palace for that.

Couldn't agree more. The people clamouring for safe standing in the north stand stand anyway!!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm up with all the others singing and chanting, but still need a seat at some point.
Many on here know Teskey & Barbara, coach stewards. Fans for more years than many others and at most away games. Are you saying these two old (sorry guys) people can stay at home now?

A time comes for us all. Put it the other way, why should the enjoyment of thousands be stopped for a handful who still have an abundance of other choices? You could have the same what about ifery arguments about many other things. Equally pointless though. Providing there are choices. And there are. Did your friends go to the Goldstone? Demand a seat in the East Stand?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So where at the away end was the seating area? I stand during the game but no way on earth could I stand for the full 105 minutes. Plus Seagull Travel tend to drop us off 1.5 hours before the match so the seat is the only time I get to sit down. I'm not the only one I'm sure who would want a seat at half time.

Be interesting to see if Spurs offer safe standing plus seating area.
Quote from Spurs regarding their game at the Bridge.
Safe standing
Along with Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and a number of stadia, Stamford Bridge has received approval for licensed safe standing in seated areas from 1 January 2022. The visitors’ section is included in this trial and features independent barriers in front of each seat, allowing for free-flowing lateral movement in and out of seating rows.

People want a return of terraces and this is currently the closest you'll get. You don't have a choice if that's where your ticket is, no different to what people would have done back in the 70s and 80s etc. There were no places to sit in the North Stand then.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A time comes for us all. Put it the other way, why should the enjoyment of thousands be stopped for a handful who still have an abundance of other choices? You could have the same what about ifery arguments about many other things. Equally pointless though. Providing there are choices. And there are. Did your friends go to the Goldstone? Demand a seat in the East Stand?

Some might argue it's a handful affecting the enjoyment of thousands. At least that would seem to be the case based on polls on here and run by the club (awaits crys of 'it was manipulated'!).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are no bad seats or views at The Amex; those who don't want to be in a safe standing section will be given plenty of re-location options. It would hardly be one of the great injustices of the century...

Oh and we were taking the piss out of Palace for the clumsy way they handled it. Now that Palace fans reckon they generate the best atmosphere in world football all the moaning has died down :lolol:

Palace fans I know can't stand them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm up with all the others singing and chanting, but still need a seat at some point.
Many on here know Teskey & Barbara, coach stewards. Fans for more years than many others and at most away games. Are you saying these two old (sorry guys) people can stay at home now?

No, they're just saying you have to go somewhere else in the stadium.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Genuine question...

With safe standing, will people stick to their allocated spot (seat number) or will it be a free for all like away games, with a "**** you Jack, I wanna stand next to my mate, your spot, tough shit" type mentality?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Genuine question...

With safe standing, will people stick to their allocated spot (seat number) or will it be a free for all like away games, with a "**** you Jack, I wanna stand next to my mate" type mentality?

It will start as the former, and migrate to the latter - as at many away games.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Good I say, if it gives the rowdies a focal area in which to generate an atmosphere. Let’s face it, if you want peace and quiet you’ve got the other 90% of the ground to choose from.

But who's to say that those that like to stand are "rowdie" or do you have to pass a "rowdie" test (as well as a singing audition), you know like a pre-match 6 pints of Stella and a line of coke, you're in!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
It will start as the former, and migrate to the latter - as at many away games.

And that is your problem there then, so I'm also guessing that fans will "crowd" together rather than stick to the number of fans in a row!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But who's to say that those that like to stand are "rowdie" or do you have to pass a "rowdie" test (as well as a singing audition), you know like a pre-match 6 pints of Stella and a line of coke, you're in!

I’d be out, but if that’s what people take to sing up for the lads then who are we to judge.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Genuine question...

With safe standing, will people stick to their allocated spot (seat number) or will it be a free for all like away games, with a "**** you Jack, I wanna stand next to my mate, your spot, tough shit" type mentality?

Never had a problem with that myself. It’s sort of an unwritten rule and if you aren’t aware then it’s either your first away game or you’re fighting against the tide. Live and let live I say.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If we were to have safe standing at the Amex, I’d love to see it in the south stand. That way we’d have (hopefully) some of our more vociferous fans next to the away section which would only help our atmosphere.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
People want a return of terraces and this is currently the closest you'll get. You don't have a choice if that's where your ticket is, no different to what people would have done back in the 70s and 80s etc. There were no places to sit in the North Stand then.

But we aren't at the Goldstone or back in the 70s.
I just don't get why the seats need to be locked, given that everyone has an allocated space, and sitting down pre game or at half time should not cause an issue.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Never had a problem with that myself. It’s sort of an unwritten rule and if you aren’t aware then it’s either your first away game or you’re fighting against the tide. Live and let live I say.

I'm not talking about away games, I'm talking about home games where people have bought a season in the safe standing area - is it just a free for all?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here