Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't see the point of it unless you are going to go for 1.5 or 2 to 1

On a one for one basis it offers nothing that just having an area where standing is tolerated (like the back 4 rows of the North Stand) doesn't already give you.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I already stand safely?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am surprised, i expected this thread to be bursting with happiness unless everybody is over 50.
Yet again the club is trying to do something different, unique (in England)
Many football fans prefer to stand, i prefer to stand (and i'm over 50)
With money tight they are still trying their best to provide a different and unique experience, something i think we should be proud of whether you want to sit or stand.
Many hurdles to cross but if it goes ahead it should be the centre of the north & south.
I think the club deserves the utmost praise just for saying they would do it if they could.
It was not long ago that the first away games you looked at were the ones with terraces, like Peterborough.
I often think that a lot of people now take what we have for granted, or just like to have a moan and argue against everything for the sake of it, if it goes ahead i can see nothing but a win win situation for everyone.
Tony Bloom is like your favourite rich uncle that spoils you rotten.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

On a one for one basis it offers nothing that just having an area where standing is tolerated (like the back 4 rows of the North Stand) doesn't already give you.

Given that a ticket for a selected standing space is still required due to a locked seat which can be used where all seater is required by regulations then it must be 1 for 1

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
can only think those that are 100% against safe standing are those that have never been to a boisterous away game where safe seating is anything but.

To be fair though there are very few away grounds where the space between your seat and the seat in front is anywhere near as big as at the Amex. There are quite a few grounds where it is almost impossible to sit down unless you are a child of six or a dwarf.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Given that a ticket for a selected standing space is still required due to a locked seat which can be used where all seater is required by regulations then it must be 1 for 1
Paul Barber and Paul Camillin clearly talk about existing systems they have seen that allow for 1.5 or 2 standees per space. Admittedly PB didn't seem keen but he didn't rule it out.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

I think the whole point is have the whole stand being able to stand. The atmosphere in the North Stand is much better when everyone is standing, but of course that is frowned upon by the stewards.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Again PB was talking about pizza shaped areas in the corners.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I already stand safely?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Where I stand in the North, there's always the risk of smashing your shins on the seat in front, or someone falling over the chair from behind onto you during a goal celebration. I think safe standing would be a lot safer.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Again PB was talking about pizza shaped areas in the corners.

For a trail, yes. But even so, atleast it will be a designated area and fans won't have the fear of being told off by a steward.

I have a feeling a lot more fans in the North would like to stand, it's not just the back 4 rows that want to.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmmm, I take your point but think there is a major difference between the need to move about and optional engagement of a leisure activity such as watching sport. People paid their money and were treated like animals. People at Ibrox, Heysel, Hillsborough and Bradford (seats but wooden and fenced off from the pitch) all lost their lives because safety wasn't considered an important enough issue to invest in.

Something needed to be done. Granted, we want the option of safe standing because it is now a possible scenario, but to do nothing was not an option.
Agree that doing nothing wasn't an option. Trouble is that the Taylor Report was commissioned by people (cough: Thatcher) who wanted to get rid of football as we knew it (and preferably get rid of football altogether).

Hillsborough and Bradford could have been avoided if the fans hadn't been fenced in. End of - there is no argument against that. Although yes, sadly, there were reasons why fences had been put up.

All that needed to be done to make the terraces safe was to divide them into smaller segments, with one single entry point at the back. So, if the size of the crowd that could be safely housed in that particular area was say, 100, 200, 250 or whatever, the automatic turnstile would click to admit a punter 100, 200 or 250 times (or whatever) and then stop; nobody in unless somebody came out. "They" didn't want that though, did they - they all wanted to go along with the Thatcher 'Let's Stamp out Football Fans' (after all, they're all drunk, attack the police, and pick the pockets of their dead colleagues, don't they?) mind-set.
God, how I wish that cow had been up against the fences at the front of the Leppings Lane end that day............!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
95% of the NS stood throughout the play-off second leg. Can't it be like that all the time?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
95% of the NS stood throughout the play-off second leg. Can't it be like that all the time?
Yes. it could and I think that is the dream. It is frustrating that a 1 for 2 arrangement doubling the capacity of the North Stand isn't on the table as that would be a really exciting development.

Whatever they do it will create an area populated by fans that want to stand and sing. I just pray that it doesn't lead to the development of a more prominent clichéd "Ultra" type group and eurobollocks in The Amex.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I think one of the reasons why it'll also be 1 to 1 for us is because of the agreement we made when planning the stadium. I don't think we'd be allowed to go above what we have now.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

Yes...if it was a safe standing area. The trouble with standing, at the moment, is you always run the risk of being told off/chucked out.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Yes. it could and I think that is the dream. It is frustrating that a 1 for 2 arrangement doubling the capacity of the North Stand isn't on the table as that would be a really exciting development.

Whatever they do it will create an area populated by fans that want to stand and sing. I just pray that it doesn't lead to the development of a more prominent clichéd "Ultra" type group and eurobollocks in The Amex.

1 for 2 would be amazing and would allow the North to hold about 6,000. How many did the old North Stand hold? At the moment we haven't got the fans to fill it.

Seems Paul Barber doesn't want to go down the 1 for 2 route because we would have to increase the size of the for vormitoires and exits. Didn't ruled it out though.

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm all for modern safe standing, but what you've written there is absolute nonsense, isn't it.

I don't think he is talking nonsense at all, Hillsborough would have never had happen if we hadn't put fences around the frigging pitch, it was a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

Bring back standing, it's warmer, better atmosphere and more fun.

I have yet to have been at a seated match which has come close to atmosphere as a standing game.

:ascarf::ascarf::ascarf:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Yes...if it was a safe standing area. The trouble with standing, at the moment, is you always run the risk of being told off/chucked out.
This used to be the case 10 years ago. I can't remember the last time a steward asked our fans to sit down away from home, which never works but still I genuinely can not remember the last time.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Barber has consistently stated that the club would not consider the introduction of "safe standing" areas and rejected any suggestion that the club would affiliate itself with the Safe Standing Campaign. Maybe our number one fan has slapped him into changing his view. Let us hope so.

So far this season, my experience is that the stewards have not intervened to enforce sitting down in the NS (outside of the back four rows). There has always been a somewhat inconsistent approach to stewarding in the NS (eg the ridiculous half-time ticket check at the end of last season). Hopefully the current approach continues throughout the season. It improves the atmosphere no end.

As I may have posted before, all-seater stadia came about because of the Taylor Report. We now know with absolute certainty that the Report was based on the evidence given by a criminal conspiracy of corrupt OB. It should be torn up and thrown away and all of the recommendations reconsidered.

(Banning drinking alcohol in view of the pitch was another enforced change arising from Hillsborough. But we now know, again with absolute certainty, that the Hillsborough tragedy was not caused by "drunken Liverpool fans" but by the useless, incompetent police who then invented the "drunken fans" story to cover up their criminal incompetence and total dereliction of duty)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here