Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can't believe some people still don't understand why fans want to stand? I also can't get my head around why anyone would be against it. If you don't want to stand yourself, fine. But don't try to talk down or stop safe standing when you have no intention of using it yourself and are dismissive of it for no particular reason other that you are un or misinformed. Yes it will be a minority of the ground but a significant one that wants to stand. 10% of the stadium having safe standing is a minority but it could be a very loud, happy area. Let's do it.

I'm not against you standing and I understand why fans want to do. I stood for many years at the Goldstone. The point I'm making is that those that want to stand should also pay for doing it. Hardly anything wrong with that. No one is expecting those in the North to subsidize those in 1901 just because the latter want access to lounges etc.

Where on earth do you get the idea I'm misinformed just because I think those that want the joy of standing should pay for it. It's a stupid comment.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Maybe you're the moron because if you read my post it was in response to someone else claiming it was for everyone!!!!!

The atmosphere would improve if everyone who sang in the north stand had seasons tickets together or they chose to sing the same songs at the same time. Personally, don't think the atmosphere is too bad. If the game is good the atmosphere will be as well. Please also don't try and pretend that all those that want to stand are doing for the altruistic reasons, ie to create a better atmosphere for the rest of us. You're doing for yourselves. Fair enough but bear the costs yourselves. The £166 figure quoted spread over five years of ticket prices for standing isn't much (although I suspect the costs of doing the work in Scotland would be considerably cheaper than down here and then you have to add in the legal costs of getting planning permission, etc etc)

And to cap it all, why are you in WL? You could already be in the North stand in the back few rows joining in the singing and standing! You could already be doing what you claim to want to do but apparently you don't!!!!

I only called you a moron since you suggested, on more than one occasion, that the only reason people want to stand is for a trip down memory lane. Surely when you decided to type that you knew it was a fallacy?

And to cap it all, why are you in WL? You could already be in the North stand in the back few rows joining in the singing and standing! You could already be doing what you claim to want to do but apparently you don't!!!!

Great idea, wish I had thought of that. Oh wait, I did. There were no areas within or near the rows to which you are referring that can accomodate 3 ST holders to move together. We've tried moving for various one-off games to non-ST seats near enough to those areas and many a tap on the shoulder has ensued.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I only called you a moron since you suggested, on more than one occasion, that the only reason people want to stand is for a trip down memory lane. Surely when you decided to type that you knew it was a fallacy?

On the basis that no one has ever watched an Albion home game from safe standing positions (obviously) and that the last time anyone legally stood to watch an Albion home game was nearly 20 years ago then for most it is a trip down memory lane. Safe standing will be a different experience.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'm not against you standing and I understand why fans want to do. I stood for many years at the Goldstone. The point I'm making is that those that want to stand should also pay for doing it. Hardly anything wrong with that. No one is expecting those in the North to subsidize those in 1901 just because the latter want access to lounges etc.

Where on earth do you get the idea I'm misinformed just because I think those that want the joy of standing should pay for it. It's a stupid comment.

Well it sounds as if Tony Bloom wants it or I'm sure we wouldn't even be discussing it. The Club have to play a big part in its cost. It's the club's stadium, they will presumably get to keep the seats taken out and also get the benefit of the rail seats that belong to them. So I think a large proportion of the cost should come from the Club. But Small one off fee or a small levy a month on ST holders in that area until the rest is paid off shouldn't be out of the question. Uninformed comment was because you mention old terracing and that should never ever be brought into this debate. Again, you don't want to use it, you will almost certainly not have to pay for it. So whats the problem?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
On the basis that no one has ever watched an Albion home game from safe standing positions (obviously) and that the last time anyone legally stood to watch an Albion home game was nearly 20 years ago then for most it is a trip down memory lane. Safe standing will be a different experience.

It's actually not that different. I've watched lots of games in Germany and the safe standing is a lot like it was 20 years ago. The exceptions being, that's it's just not a packed terrace, there are no forward surges. But the jumping around and wild celebrations and singing are just as good, if not better than 20 years ago. You don't have to push past jammed crowd to get to the toilet or end up in a different part of the stand after a goal. It really is an all round better standing experience. You keep harping on about comparing it to 20 years ago, well you can't. So it's not that different from 20 years ago, it's actually better!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well it sounds as if Tony Bloom wants it or I'm sure we wouldn't even be discussing it. The Club have to play a big part in its cost. It's the club's stadium, they will presumably get to keep the seats taken out and also get the benefit of the rail seats that belong to them. So I think a large proportion of the cost should come from the Club. But Small one off fee or a small levy a month on ST holders in that area until the rest is paid off shouldn't be out of the question. Uninformed comment was because you mention old terracing and that should never ever be brought into this debate. Again, you don't want to use it, you will almost certainly not have to pay for it. So whats the problem?

Agree with most of what you are saying however, the vast majority of fans who want to stand have done so on traditional terracing, whether over 20 years ago at the Goldstone or at some of the away grounds that aren't yet all seater but certainly aren't rail seating or something similar.

I agree with your penultimate sentence entirely but that is not what others are advocating. They seem to think every fan should contribute to it.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
It's actually not that different. I've watched lots of games in Germany and the safe standing is a lot like it was 20 years ago. The exceptions being, that's it's just not a packed terrace, there are no forward surges. But the jumping around and wild celebrations and singing are just as good, if not better than 20 years ago. You don't have to push past jammed crowd to get to the toilet or end up in a different part of the stand after a goal. It really is an all round better standing experience. You keep harping on about comparing it to 20 years ago, well you can't. So it's not that different from 20 years ago, it's actually better!

Im all for safe standing but will never agree its better than a packed terrace, swaying, MASSIVE surges and general togetherness. But its a start

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems to me that everyone who is in favour of safe standing all mention that it will create a better atmosphere. I find this very strange, given that at least 95% of the Norwich fans on Saturday were standing, but the only atmosphere that they created in the last 30 minutes was silence :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here