Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I've regularly bought tickets for gigs where both seats and standing are available, and the same price. I stand because it's how I want to enjoy the event, not because it's cheaper. This choice should be available at football too.

Ditto - in fact, I would happily pay slightly more to stand (if necessary) as I far prefer the experience. Not too much more, mind!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Ah, so the old 'put your finger your ear, tightly close your eyes and sing ding a ling a ling' syndrome when you hear something that doesn't support your case!

'German hooligans look up to the English' - The Local

German football violence on the rise again - Football news

German football clubs unite against violence - Football - Al Jazeera English

Hooliganism has become a recurring theme in German football | Kit Holden | Independent Editor's choice Blogs

Virtually all the safe standing protaganist cite the German system as the model to follow but the above stories are likely to be what the politicians also take into account, as well as the stadia owners and local authorities if they ever consider changing the law to allow a reintroduction of standing.

There probably is some analysis of when and where the arrests/injuries somewhere but I can't be arsed to search for it but I bet the politicians will!!!!

It's because they didn't price their working classes out of a match ticket. It even says it in one of those articles. It's all related of course, but hooliganism isn't a direct result of being allowed to stand at matches

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Why do you think you have a right to do what you like in a stadium that isn't owned by you? It's not a right, it is a preference.

Sorry but some of your arguments are now getting childish. It's the right to have a choice. You like to sit down obviously, you have 100% of the stadium with which to sit it. Yet I can't stand anywhere.
I can choose if I want to stand at rugby, a concert, a bus, a train, most sports, hell, if no one was behind me it is not illegal to stand at the back of a cinema. But football no, you have to sit, but we we won't enforce it in one area. Well sometimes...

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Ah, so the old 'put your finger your ear, tightly close your eyes and sing ding a ling a ling' syndrome when you hear something that doesn't support your case!

'German hooligans look up to the English' - The Local

German football violence on the rise again - Football news

German football clubs unite against violence - Football - Al Jazeera English

Hooliganism has become a recurring theme in German football | Kit Holden | Independent Editor's choice Blogs

Virtually all the safe standing protaganist cite the German system as the model to follow but the above stories are likely to be what the politicians also take into account, as well as the stadia owners and local authorities if they ever consider changing the law to allow a reintroduction of standing.

There probably is some analysis of when and where the arrests/injuries somewhere but I can't be arsed to search for it but I bet the politicians will!!!!

Interesting articles, but none of them make a direct correlation between safe standing and the increase in violence as far as I can see (though admittedly I did just scan them). In fact most of them say that the violence has been on the rise for the past 12 years, and one even states the way thay have stopped it is "pricing fans out of the games, like they have done in England"

Also even if violence has risen in Germany due to safe standing, that doesn't automatically mean it will happen here.

We have a different culture, a different relationship with football and our football clubs, and different fans.

FSF Safe Standing Petition

Aberdeen
AFC Wimbledon
Aston Villa
Bristol City
Cardiff City
Celtic
Chelsea
Crystal Palace
Derby County
Hull City
Leicester City
Liverpool
Oxford Utd
Peterborough Utd
Portsmouth
Sunderland
Supporters Direct
Wolves

These clubs are backing it. The Amex capacity has the potential to increase with safe standing although to start with it does not have to, however the increased capacity equals increase revenue.
With regard to expensive to fit. Some clubs in Germany move some of their safe standing zones around and replace with seats and vice versa.
It will come it will happen, there is no legitimate reason why anyone should be against it.

NOt personally against safe standing, however, any expansion further would have to demonstrate how extra numbers could travel to and fro. The refusal of a significant minority of fans to abide by the club's agreed transport plan by parking on street in Coldean etc has already resulted in the club having to pay for a resident's parking scheme. |The club would struggle to show additional numbers of fans would not cause further problems. Unfortunately, the I'll stand where I like and the I'll park where I like gang have made it more rather than less likely we can introduce safe standing in the near future.

I won't even mention reaction in East Brighton to the Lewes Road improvements (personally I like them as a cyclist/ bus user), instigated in consequence to the stadium expansion. Needless to say, councillors are getting their ears bent already.

Let's celebrate the fantastic stadium we have already got and remember the (mostly polite and helpful)stewards are paid a pittance to tell us to sit down. If they don't they will be replaced by (nastier and fiercer) people who will!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's the right to have a choice.

And you have a right to choose: stay away, or pay to enter a football ground where the only option is sitting. It's not sa right ot have an option of sitting or standing. It's probably good practice to offer a choice, but, they are under no obligation to offer you one.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's because they didn't price their working classes out of a match ticket. It even says it in one of those articles. It's all related of course, but hooliganism isn't a direct result of being allowed to stand at matches

I'm not saying it is a direct result, eg there is standing ergo there is violence. But even if it is indirect, the powers that be will take it into consideration. Football stadia in this country have been sanitised or, to put it another way cleansed of morons who think it's about going and kicking the shit out of the opposition fans rather than watching and supporting your team. The collateral damage in that process is that others have been priced out of the game. Do you think the powers that be are going risk the violence for the sake of keeping four or five hundred fans happy by letting them stand! Safe standing may well come back but it will probably on do so with the sort of campaign that go Falmer in the first place, not a confrontational one.

Sorry but some of your arguments are now getting childish. It's the right to have a choice. You like to sit down obviously, you have 100% of the stadium with which to sit it. Yet I can't stand anywhere.
I can choose if I want to stand at rugby, a concert, a bus, a train, most sports, hell, if no one was behind me it is not illegal to stand at the back of a cinema. But football no, you have to sit, but we we won't enforce it in one area. Well sometimes...

And you don't think it childish to stamp your feet and demand a 'right' to have a choice which is in effect you demanding the right to stand. You sound like a 16 year old shouting at their parents that they have rights, despite the fact they live in their parents house, are fed by their parents and probaby the very same parents that fund their x-box collection.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
As a matter of interest, is it possible for one of the seventy five who voted 'No' to Safe Standing areas to tell me their objection(s)? Assuming (hypothetically) that it was given a trial, approved and met regulations/laws - would you still be against it per se?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm not saying it is a direct result, eg there is standing ergo there is violence. But even if it is indirect, the powers that be will take it into consideration. Football stadia in this country have been sanitised or, to put it another way cleansed of morons who think it's about going and kicking the shit out of the opposition fans rather than watching and supporting your team. The collateral damage in that process is that others have been priced out of the game. Do you think the powers that be are going risk the violence for the sake of keeping four or five hundred fans happy by letting them stand! Safe standing may well come back but it will probably on do so with the sort of campaign that go Falmer in the first place, not a confrontational one.

And you don't think it childish to stamp your feet and demand a 'right' to have a choice which is in effect you demanding the right to stand. You sound like a 16 year old shouting at their parents that they have rights, despite the fact they live in their parents house, are fed by their parents and probaby the very same parents that fund their x-box collection.

For (hopefully, but somehow I doubt it) the last time SAFE STANDING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRICE OF TICKETS.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Feet stamping? Xbox? Er....ok

Pathetic post to be honest, you've lost your side if the debate. Now just posting nonsense to deflect that fact that you don't really have an argument. Your constant support of an unsafe draconian situation, that exists at every all seater and creates conflict between fans and between fans and stewards is misguided. You obviously don't understand and until you educate yourself in safe standing, I feel there is no point discussing the issue with you any longer. So I shan't be responding, you on the other hand, do what you like.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
And you have a right to choose: stay away, or pay to enter a football ground where the only option is sitting. It's not sa right ot have an option of sitting or standing. It's probably good practice to offer a choice, but, they are under no obligation to offer you one.

No of course they aren't under an obligation, but yes good practice as you say. When a large proportion of their customers want something, sometimes it's a good idea to do it. The benefits far outweigh any cons. It's safe, flexible, creates a better atmosphere, offers choice.
The main thing is its safer than standing in seated areas. The club clearly acknowledge that there is a large minority that wish to stand or they would not have offered that back 4 rows as standing in the north. More and more clubs are in with this. They want to offer supporters a choice.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Which is immaterial because transport can't cope with bigger crowds.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here