Safe Standing at the AMEX: Yes or No?

Yes or No to a Safe Standing area?

• Yes, I would like to see the North stand made a Safe Standing zone

Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

Oct 25, 2003
Nothing to do with what I like, I prefer to stand, but it seems the minority who want to go against the terms or entry feel they should have priority over those who abide by the rules of entry.
How does that work?

if safe standing came in (which is what we're talking about- IF- ) then they wouldn't be going against the terms of entry.........the club would be providing a small % of tickets for those who want to stand, with those who don't being able to sit anywhere in the rest of the ground, it's all about providing alternatives. at the moment everyone has to sit, under the proposal some can stand, some can sit....can't see why anyone can object to that

Meh, personally I'm not that bothered. I loved standing on the terraces, but I can do without it now, I think people overly romanticise it. The new model of safe standing does little to recreate the old terraces either.

this is it for me i'm afraid, i'd vote for standing,but not "safe standing" because as i choose to remember it, it's being pushed half way down the terrace when we scored or even had a shot, bouncing all over the place to 'Knees Up Brighton Town', losing a shoe and pissing through a rolled up newspaper as you couldn't get out. Yes I know the negatives of what we went through and am well aware of history but if the're gonna paint a square foot area for you to stand in and a barrier in front of everyone then i'm out, i'll stay in the East. However if YOU want it. i'll happily support it and I hope it happens but we've lost something at the match since 1989 and it's never coming back

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
if safe standing came in (which is what we're talking about- IF- ) then they wouldn't be going against the terms of entry.........the club would be providing a small % of tickets for those who want to stand, with those who don't being able to sit anywhere in the rest of the ground, it's all about providing alternatives. at the moment everyone has to sit, under the proposal some can stand, some can sit....can't see why anyone can object to that

Fully agree with what your saying and the proposals, But its all down to the if..
The majority on here are talking about it should happen now and not waiting for the rules to be changed, "Poyet should tell the stewards" etc
They seem to think that the club should make it happen as if it is with in the're control not the FA.
If we ever get standing back, all well and good, but it seems most are not prepared to wait and direct action should be taken to the detriment and those who have bought "seats" in the north stand and want to sit and watch the game.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Yes, think just the option of having a seat, but everyone is under no illusion that once they enter the north stand that the person in front will most probably be standing. If the game was dire and people decide to sit then great, else you stand as one.

Yes from me.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If they did bring back safe standing I'd prefer the HSV/Borussia Dortmund style terrace to the Werder Bremen/Stuttgart rail seats.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
It was raised with Insider who said that the Club are currently busy with the expansion work. I have been in touch with the Safe Standing Roadshow who are keen to come to the AMEX and setup a 'demo rail stand' on a matchday to show everyone how it will work - but this needs the backing of the Club. I will be raising the result of this poll and general feeling of Albion fans with the various people to spread the word. However, the more people that can help push this issue the better.

What help do you need?

Oh and it's a massive yes from me.

Nov 8, 2012
Hi All,

Glad to see you're discussing safe standing ... and that the vote is currently massively in favour - which mirrors practically every vote on this issue ever taken among football supporters. Almost everyone agrees that there ought to be choice, with those who prefer to sit also seeing benefits (e.g. nobody obstructing their view and improved atmosphere in the ground).

To answer a question that I saw earlier in the thread about the rail height and any possible sightline issue, you needn't worry. Depending on the actual height of the rail and the gradient of the stand, it is quite possible to fit rail seats so that you have a perfect view of the pitch (what stadium architects call a good 'C value') when seated and when standing.

I'd love to bring the roadshow to Brighton - every club that has seen it so far supports the concept (even if some have not said so yet publicly). Eight in Championship - a third of the division - have done so (Derby, Posh, Palace, Hull, Bristol City, Watford, Burnley and Cardiff), so it would be good to get your club added to that list!

Oh, and what you can do to help:

1. Tell the club you'd like them to see the roadshow (to help Ian Baird arrange this).
2. E-mail your MP and ask him/her to sign EDM 573, which calls on the Government to allow a few small-scale trials e.g. at Villa and Posh, both of whom have volunteered to act as pilot sites. You can e-mail your MP very easily via an online tool here: E-mail your MP

And for a quick overview of what rail seats are all about, here's a 4-minute video:

Oct 11, 2005
London
Meh, personally I'm not that bothered. I loved standing on the terraces, but I can do without it now, I think people overly romanticise it. The new model of safe standing does little to recreate the old terraces either.

Really?!? You're totally and utterly wrong. Go and watch a game in Germany or take a look on YouTube.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Hi All,

Glad to see you're discussing safe standing ... and that the vote is currently massively in favour - which mirrors practically every vote on this issue ever taken among football supporters. Almost everyone agrees that there ought to be choice, with those who prefer to sit also seeing benefits (e.g. nobody obstructing their view and improved atmosphere in the ground).

To answer a question that I saw earlier in the thread about the rail height and any possible sightline issue, you needn't worry. Depending on the actual height of the rail and the gradient of the stand, it is quite possible to fit rail seats so that you have a perfect view of the pitch (what stadium architects call a good 'C value') when seated and when standing.

I'd love to bring the roadshow to Brighton - every club that has seen it so far supports the concept (even if some have not said so yet publicly). Eight in Championship - a third of the division - have done so (Derby, Posh, Palace, Hull, Bristol City, Watford, Burnley and Cardiff), so it would be good to get your club added to that list!

Oh, and what you can do to help:

1. Tell the club you'd like them to see the roadshow (to help Ian Baird arrange this).
2. E-mail your MP and ask him/her to sign EDM 573, which calls on the Government to allow a few small-scale trials e.g. at Villa and Posh, both of whom have volunteered to act as pilot sites. You can e-mail your MP very easily via an online tool here: E-mail your MP

And for a quick overview of what rail seats are all about, here's a 4-minute video:

Thanks SSR, as you know we're doing a lot of behind the scenes work to try and make the demo happen at the AMEX.

Most of the people on NSC probably already get the Football Supporters Federation newsletters. But if you dont, please fill in the simple form here: The Football Supporters' Federation - Join the FSF. Newsletters are emailed out every Friday with updates on campaigns and general football stories. The FSF are a body of proper football fans, interested in preserving football as we know (or used to know) it.

SSR has detailed ways in which Albion fans can help. But with most campaigns, it's celebs and media interest which get it moving. I'm writing to a few celeb football fans who, from what they've said over the years, used to love terraces and would be likely to support the campaign (i.e. Frank Skinner, Alistair Campbell, Stephen Fry, etc). Any suggestions would be great. The more people willing to help out by explaining the issue to their MPs, prominent supporters, prominent supporter groups, fans who sit (or stand!) next to you at Albion games, work colleagues, friends and family, the better.

Currently the government sound like they would listen to the FA on the subject. The FA seem to be in mid-thought about the issue. No one in the game is heavily against the idea and the thousands (as we can see by this poll) are fully behind the idea. If there is enough pressure by the Clubs the FA will listen and may back a pilot. And then the government may well listen. Football is for the fans, and with the amount of strong feeling on this subject I think there's a good chance we'll see a pilot in the not too distant future.

:albion2:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
My email to Derek Chapman -
Derek,
The bandwagon is rolling. I know where you stand (ha!)
We’ve got the beer, we’ve got the pies, we need the terrace.
Safe Standing at the AMEX: Yes or No? - Page 6

His reply:

Good luck,
I did suggest that it would be a good idea not to put the seats into the North East and North West corners, which went down like a lead balloon!
Derek

So, as you can see, we have support in the most important place - but opposition as well, and I know who it's from, because I already had big arguments about it with him in the PA box at Withdean, eh, Mr. Hebberd :)

The first step must surely happen at a national level - to get the government and the FA onside in principle. Then the huge weight of popular support for safe standing will descend on the individual clubs, who will have to decide whether to do what the fans want or dig their heels in and risk laienating their core support.
Great this is happening on here, anyway......

In other news, way down the football pyramid far further than they should be after 2 enforced relegations due to financial mismanagement, the fans of the utterly Archered Northwich Victoria FC (currently playing home games at Stafford, ground sold to a chemical company, run by a Mancunian who reminds me of a composite of Archer and Bellotti with a bit of amateur boxer thrown in) had a meeting last night where they voted to start their own club and from a list of 4 potential names call it 1874 Northwich. Due to MIL's illness my wife and I are in Northwich (coming back today for Palace) and I went to the meeting. Horrible memories of the dark days and thank god we never had to go down that route. Best of luck to them, starting again at level 6.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
My email to Derek Chapman -
Derek,
The bandwagon is rolling. I know where you stand (ha!)
We’ve got the beer, we’ve got the pies, we need the terrace.
Safe Standing at the AMEX: Yes or No? - Page 6

His reply:

Good luck,
I did suggest that it would be a good idea not to put the seats into the North East and North West corners, which went down like a lead balloon!
Derek

So, as you can see, we have support in the most important place - but opposition as well, and I know who it's from, because I already had big arguments about it with him in the PA box at Withdean, eh, Mr. Hebberd :)

The first step must surely happen at a national level - to get the government and the FA onside in principle. Then the huge weight of popular support for safe standing will descend on the individual clubs, who will have to decide whether to do what the fans want or dig their heels in and risk laienating their core support.
Great this is happening on here, anyway......

In other news, way down the football pyramid far further than they should be after 2 enforced relegations due to financial mismanagement, the fans of the utterly Archered Northwich Victoria FC (currently playing home games at Stafford, ground sold to a chemical company, run by a Mancunian who reminds me of a composite of Archer and Bellotti with a bit of amateur boxer thrown in) had a meeting last night where they voted to start their own club and from a list of 4 potential names call it 1874 Northwich. Due to MIL's illness my wife and I are in Northwich (coming back today for Palace) and I went to the meeting. Horrible memories of the dark days and thank god we never had to go down that route. Best of luck to them, starting again at level 6.

This other poll may be worth showing him too.

[Albion] If the North Stand was converted to safe standing

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm not particularly bothered either way, but I just do not see it happening. They cant just do it in the North stand as those sitting in the new corners would have a restricted view of any goal mouth action at that end, and I 'd doubt the club would add safe standing to that whole end including the new corners. It would have to be in one of the new corners only if it were to happen.

Secondly, if you had all standing in the North then no children would be able to go in that end as they wouldn't see a thing, nor would anybody under 5"8, I think it would also put off most women to go in the North as well and as an all inclusive community club I think it's a non starter.

Oct 11, 2005
London
Secondly, if you had all standing in the North then no children would be able to go in that end as they wouldn't see a thing, nor would anybody under 5"8, I think it would also put off most women to go in the North as well and as an all inclusive community club I think it's a non starter.

They would have the East, West, South and corner stands to chose from. It's actually more inclusive to add safe standing as its giving fans more choice!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
They would have the East, West, South and corner stands to chose from. It's actually more inclusive to add safe standing as its giving fans more choice!

Why should they so a group of blokes can stand? Why should they have to move just cause they're kids or not tall enough to see properly? That would be the clubs response imo.

As for the new corners, it would restrict the view of those sitting near the North as those all along the side of it would be standing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here