Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I'm not particularly bothered either way, but I just do not see it happening. They cant just do it in the North stand as those sitting in the new corners would have a restricted view of any goal mouth action at that end, and I 'd doubt the club would add safe standing to that whole end including the new corners. It would have to be in one of the new corners only if it were to happen.

Secondly, if you had all standing in the North then no children would be able to go in that end as they wouldn't see a thing, nor would anybody under 5"8, I think it would also put off most women to go in the North as well and as an all inclusive community club I think it's a non starter.

Not at all. The gradient would mean that everyone could see - have a look at the video. And why would a standing area put off women coming to games? We're not talking the North Stand in 1975. Or do you think women have less STAMINA than us or something? :)

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not at all. The gradient would mean that everyone could see - have a look at the video. And why would a standing area put off women coming to games? We're not talking the North Stand in 1975. Or do you think women have less STAMINA than us or something? :)

No they wouldn't , how could a child see?

I don't know many women who would want to be crammed in with a load of sweaty smelly North standers :p

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
To expand on that my lad really wants me to take him to an away match but I told him it's pointless as everyone will stand and he wont see a thing, and standing on a flip chair is just asking for an injury, and with the way he fidgets he'd have a broken ankle before half time.

Oct 11, 2005
London
To expand on that my lad really wants me to take him to an away match but I told him it's pointless as everyone will stand and he wont see a thing, and standing on a flip chair is just asking for an injury, and with the way he fidgets he'd have a broken ankle before half time.

The simple solution to that one is take him down to the front.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Massive YES.

It would be amazing if the Albion could lead the way on this issue and pilot a safe standing area. We have been really progressive with the Amex - on the bars opening after the game, lovely pies, sustainable transport solutions etc - and now safe standing would continue that theme.

Can we get that safe standing roadshow thing down for the Watford game please? Also, do we know what Tony B thinks about this?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Fact is that most European countries have safe standing and the Germans for one never got rid of it, it works, fans and authorties are happy with it, and the reason we had our terraces taken away was a disaster which has now been acknowledged to have had nothing to do with terraces per se and everything to do with irresponsible policing followed by lies, cover ups and a political agenda which was totally anti-football. Now that all that is out in the open to say that in some way this country is different and the vast majority of fans who would like safe standing re-introduced should be ignored because of, erm, i don't know what, is just silly...

Oct 11, 2005
London
Oh the irony....:clap:

I don't get it.. you would have ALL other areas of the stadium to sit in happily.. whats the problem with that?

Its standard practice in world football that those who want to create an atmosphere and stand, go behind the goal. Those that want to sit down have the rest of the stadium to choose from.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is just another example of a pointless exercise, it will not happen at the Amex. One of the main points why the ground has been so well received is the quality of all the seats (padded) and the generous leg room, compared to plastic seating elsewhere, and for certian grounds if you are only 5'5" the leg room is extremely cramped.

The club are not going to go backwards and replace these seats with plastic lockable versions with surge bars in fromt of each seat.

You may dream and want this change but it is not going to happen at the Amex.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
This is just another example of a pointless exercise, it will not happen at the Amex. One of the main points why the ground has been so well received is the quality of all the seats (padded) and the generous leg room, compared to plastic seating elsewhere, and for certian grounds if you are only 5'5" the leg room is extremely cramped.

The club are not going to go backwards and replace these seats with plastic lockable versions with surge bars in fromt of each seat.

You may dream and want this change but it is not going to happen at the Amex.

We have all the time in the world. Let's wait and see. If/when changes start to happen everywhere else, with the track record our club has of listening to the fans, if there was a huge groundswell of support for the idea, we can hope and indeed expect that it would.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Tell you what IF safe standing meant that we (and indeed other clubs) could make more money do you really think we/they wouldnt do it?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
I'm not particularly bothered either way, but I just do not see it happening. They cant just do it in the North stand as those sitting in the new corners would have a restricted view of any goal mouth action at that end, and I 'd doubt the club would add safe standing to that whole end including the new corners. It would have to be in one of the new corners only if it were to happen.

Secondly, if you had all standing in the North then no children would be able to go in that end as they wouldn't see a thing, nor would anybody under 5"8, I think it would also put off most women to go in the North as well and as an all inclusive community club I think it's a non starter.

Us being an 'all inclusive community club' is exactly why it is a starter. Including a standing zone means theres a choice of whether to stand or sit and a reduced price ticket that allows those not so well off to come and support their local club. Currently, the AMEX is becoming an exclusive club. Football has prided itself as a sport open to those from every demographic and people rich or poor. An all-seater stadium with one off tickets costing £34 does not lend itself to that principle.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames

Erm, get there early and stand at the front? Just a thought.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Oh the irony....:clap:

Absolute nonsense. How old is your lad? Plenty of kids go to away games, I very much doubt they would if they couldn't see a thing.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I don't get it.. you would have ALL other areas of the stadium to sit in happily.. whats the problem with that?

Its standard practice in world football that those who want to create an atmosphere and stand, go behind the goal. Those that want to sit down have the rest of the stadium to choose from.

I was talking about away from home. As I've posted if you read back, I don't really care either way I just don't see it happening for some of the points raised.

Also It's a myth we'll make more money unless we're in the Premier League maybe. The North Stand never looks full to capacity at the moment so doubling it with standing and including the corners it's going to look a bit silly with 3000 people crammed in the middle and the sides and corners mostly empty.

With the corners it would be nearly 6000 standing capacity (I'm guessing) and I do not think cause a couple of hundred on here have voted for it in the poll that that many people actually want to stand in the North end, and if I'm wrong and they do how will you accommodate them with so few toilets and kiosks?

When the North was designed it wasn't with safe standing in mind. Sorry.

Though it would be kind of cool if we were the first to trial it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here