Yes or No to a Safe Standing area?

• Yes, I would like to see the North stand made a Safe Standing zone

Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Terrible post by the club. To rule it out completely straight away and not even see how it develops with other clubs is really sad to see

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So what we need is someone who's got a decent track record of protests and has some half decent contacts with supporter groups. Someone who can organise a march, write a song that gets into the Top 20, a letter and postcard writing campaign. Hmmmmmm... any ideas?

I don't really see what there is to protest about yet. If and when other clubs introduce safe standing and the Albion don't, surely that is the time to protest? You're not going to get that many people actively protesting to get the club to consider the possibility of thinking about talking about trialling safe standing. There needs to be a clear end result in sight for it to work. I think it's too early for protests.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
IBF - you are a prize pillock. Safe standing is curently illegal in stadiums & anyway the club have spent over £100m to date and are not going to spend millions more making changes to The Amex bercause of 300 hundred of you or so. You need to be realistic.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm puzzled as to the comment about being inclusive regardless of age or sex. I can understand the issue with height to a certain extent but specifically age or sex - have the club actually asked older people and women if they prefer to sit or stand or have they made a massive assumption on their behalf?

I've got to say that response from the club is appallingly written and comes across as extremely authoritarian. It doesn't bode well for those in the North Stand who are currently battling (figuratively) with the powers that be about standing.

I'd go further.

I'd suggest it implies an assumption of guilt (in terms of bad behaviour) on the part of those who wish to stand.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Two points:

1. The club have a duty to at least listen to the Safe Standing Campaign presentation.
2. I sit and still sing. It IS possible.

I'd be interested to know whether the reintroduction of standing terraces does always result in the 'improvement' in the atmosphere. Does the 'Kop' end act as a cheerleading catalyst for the rest of the stadium, or will the casual singing fans now leave it up to the 'nutters in the North Stand'.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
I don't really see what there is to protest about yet. If and when other clubs introduce safe standing and the Albion don't, surely that is the time to protest? You're not going to get that many people actively protesting to get the club to consider the possibility of thinking about talking about trialling safe standing. There needs to be a clear end result in sight for it to work. I think it's too early for protests.

Fair point.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
It's the fact they've ruled it out from EVER happening that is annoying bit. No one is saying it needs to be us driving it forwards, but to not accept that it could be considered at some point down the line is a shame.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Absolutely this.

And we certainly don't need any POEMS.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As some folk can't work out the apalling bit of the response, I've chopped it out for you:

In turn, standing areas create the potential for poor behaviour to go undetected and unresolved. As a club that is doing all it can to promote a family event atmosphere within the stadium and on its approaches, this would be a backward step.

Backward step? Backward thinking, more like!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't incidentally think we've 'lost our club'. That's not true in the slightest.

It's just that if and when this sort of thing becomes a proposal, then a plan, a trial and then possibly a reality, we know what the club's stance is. Their starting point is pretty disappointing, and would make any future discussions a bit harder than they would be at other clubs - but we're only at the start of this journey.

There is a long way to go yet.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't think we've 'lost our club'. That's not true in the slightest.

It's just that if and when this sort of thing becomes a proposal, then a plan, a trial and then possibly a reality, we know what the club's stance is. Their starting point is pretty disappointing, and would make any future discussions a bit harder than they would be at other clubs - but we're only at the start of this journey.

Nov 8, 2012
Well, that is a surprise.

That makes Brighton and Hove Albion the first and only club in the land to publicly state that it is against any club even running a trial of safe standing - despite the clear wishes of the majority of the paying public to have this idea explored further and the support of a third of the Championship clubs for this approach ... with more to follow.

Don't give up the fight! Even if your club may be slow to come to the party, you as fans can continue to support the call on the Government to permit safe standing trials elsewhere. When they succeed, as they surely will, perhaps BHA will have a change of heart.

E-mail your MPs here!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't incidentally think we've 'lost our club'. That's not true in the slightest.

It does suggest somewhat that they are no longer prepared to take on board the wishes of the supporters, though. I think it is in this sense that the statement "lost our club" was made, though it is a bit of an overreaction, I'd agree.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't think we've 'lost our club'. That's not true in the slightest.

Indeed. I also think the timing of this question could have been better, considering the ongoing issue of standing in the North Stand. Ask again in 6 months time and the response may be different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here