Safe Standing at the AMEX: Yes or No?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yes or No to a Safe Standing area?

• Yes, I would like to see the North stand made a Safe Standing zone

Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

Well, I'm assuming Insider is still Paul Camillin, and if so, that seems to me to be poacher turned gamekeeper and then some, unless he is expressing an opinion he doesn't agree with personally, which is perfectly possible!
So our club's stance denies the reality of football just about everywhere else in Europe, and appears to turn its back on the views of fans who were an integral part of the fight to give us the future we now have - many of whom, I know for a fact, support safe standing. Other clubs with nothing like our history of fans and club working together are prepared to trial something which our club turns down flat. Absolutely DISGUSTING.

Spot on - PC may be in a difficult position but if that is his genuine opinion I have lost total respect for him.

The response is totally insensitive and blinkered - this could get messy.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Massive overreaction - the club was probably never going to support it anyway, least they could of done was look into the feasibility of it. Look at the positives - nothing has changed but saying we have lost our club because they said no to safe standing, toys out of a pram moment much ?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Ito say they don't support the campaign AT ALL and that standing areas create bad behaviour (citation needed) that cannot be detected or resolved (citation needed) and that safe standing would be a backward step is ridiculous.

Quite right, Teaboy. Anyone would think that they haven't read this illuminating article in yesterday's Guardian, partly about safe standing in Germany: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/dec/02/ermany-bundesliga-noisy-fans. Actually, anyone who hasn't been to a match in Germany should read this; their football is so much better than ours in so many ways.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Massive overreaction - the club was probably never going to support it anyway, least they could of done was look into the feasibility of it. Look at the positives - nothing has changed but saying we have lost our club because they said no to safe standing, toys out of a pram moment much ?

Try reading their statement before putting people down. The tone of the response on ATC is apalling.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
IF standing becomes a reality at other English grounds and our management refuse to consider it it will be VERY EASY for us fans to boycott all merchandise at the Amex and have quiet protests. They will change their tune VERY quickly you mark my words.

Unfortunately the likes of Hebbard and Barber are so far removed from our core support that this is the only language they will understand. Camillin is a traitorous disgrace as far as I'm concerned if he has written that. I'm looking forward to a new era of protest to be honest. It's what we do well after all.

Oct 11, 2005
London
Utterly disgusting statement from the club!!!! I'm absolutely gutted with that.

I used to think Albion club cared about its fans, but with every passing week I feel more and more alienated by the club we fought so passionately to save. They seem only interested in corporates and families.

What a sad day. I think we need to really show them we mean business . Protests etc. bring it on. After all when the moneymen have gone (Perry etc.) we'll still be here, it's our club not theirs.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Surely if we get the likes of Oatway, Tanno, Gus, Bloom on board, that'll change everything ???

I know it sounds stupid but all the coaching staff want to see is a brilliant atmosphere, remember Burnley game last season!? And I know for a fact Tony Bloom loved that! Even he was joining in!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Spot on - PC may be in a difficult position but if that is his genuine opinion I have lost total respect for him.

I very much doubt that is his personal opinion, but if that's the club line then it's not his fault, he can't put across a different opinion.

I am shocked that the club just dismissed it out of hand like that. Paul Camillin used to stand on the North Stand at the Goldstone, as did Dick Knight. This response seems to come straight from Richard Hebberd's mouth, especially the patronising bits about 'good behaviour'. We're not schoolchildren.

If standing really did make a (safe) return to grounds in the Premier League and Championship, I would be astonished if the Albion weren't part of it. Not to mention pissed off.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Try reading their statement before putting people down. The tone of the response on ATC is apalling.

Is it? I read as being a response based on the clubs stance on such matters and nothing more. I do not see that answer as appaling at all

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm puzzled as to the comment about being inclusive regardless of age or sex. I can understand the issue with height to a certain extent but specifically age or sex - have the club actually asked older people and women if they prefer to sit or stand or have they made a massive assumption on their behalf?

I've got to say that response from the club is appallingly written and comes across as extremely authoritarian. It doesn't bode well for those in the North Stand who are currently battling (figuratively) with the powers that be about standing.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Wouldnt call it appalling, they just put it bluntly. Poor that they said they wouldnt even look into it - but saying its the day we lost our club ? That is an overreaction - it being disappointing that the club have ruled it out - yes.

Although i do wonder that if a couple of clubs do trial it, could it make the club turn its head ?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Well, I'm assuming Insider is still Paul Camillin, and if so, that seems to me to be poacher turned gamekeeper and then some, unless he is expressing an opinion he doesn't agree with personally, which is perfectly possible!
So our club's stance denies the reality of football just about everywhere else in Europe, and appears to turn its back on the views of fans who were an integral part of the fight to give us the future we now have - many of whom, I know for a fact, support safe standing. Other clubs with nothing like our history of fans and club working together are prepared to trial something which our club turns down flat. Absolutely DISGUSTING.

So what we need is someone who's got a decent track record of protest ideas and has some half decent contacts with supporter groups. Someone who can organise a march, write a song that gets into the Top 20, a letter and postcard writing campaign. Hmmmmmm... any ideas?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's the small issue that the club aren't allowed to create safe standing as it currently stands
Oh here we go, hiding behind the truth to prove a point.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports