Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sad and disillusioned...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don't like bean counters at the best of times, and when they start running a club or a business, the heart always seems to go out of it somehow.

I think a little of the soul has gone out of this club recently.

What the bean counters sometimes seem to forget is that it doesn't matter how astute your financial plans are, if you have no end product no-one will buy.

The fact of the matter is we have been attracting our best crowds for over 30 years partially because of Gus Poyet - because of the players he has attracted, the style of football we have been playing and - most of all - the success of the team. Take that away and it really doesn't matter how many pies or pints of Harveys we sell or how many sign up to the new 'elite' membership schemes. We would certainly lose more than £8 million a year. Getting rid of Gus may well prove much more expensive than anyone imagines.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

What the bean counters sometimes seem to forget is that it doesn't matter how astute your financial plans are, if you have no end product no-one will buy.

The fact of the matter is we have been attracting our best crowds for over 30 years partially because of Gus Poyet - because of the players he has attracted, the style of football we have been playing and - most of all - the success of the team. Take that away and it really doesn't matter how many pies or pints of Harveys we sell or how many sign up to the new 'elite' membership schemes. We would certainly lose more than £8 million a year. Getting rid of Gus may well prove much more expensive than anyone imagines.

Can't really agree.Why should we go down the pan just because Gus has gone?There are plenty of talented guys in the world of football who can take us onwards and upwards.No need to despair,it will all be o.k.
Personally, I am looking forward to the 'world after Gus'.It could be very exciting.
Inevitably a bit of soul disappears when business takes over,but without that approach,we would not even have a club. Successful football clubs ARE big businesses,out of necessity.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Oh dear,so good I said it twice!

Can't really agree.Why should we go down the pan just because Gus has gone?There are plenty of talented guys in the world of football who can take us onwards and upwards.No need to despair,it will all be o.k.
Personally, I am looking forward to the 'world after Gus'.It could be very exciting.
Inevitably a bit of soul disappears when business takes over,but without that approach,we would not even have a club. Successful football clubs ARE big businesses,out of necessity.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm fine, I live in Bali :lolol: but I am getting mightily pissed off with everything around this saga. Living this far from home, being part of the Albion family is important to me, its an identity and a link to home. Yet to read so many people delighting in dancing on Gus' grave is very hurtful, its been such a fantastic last three years and now I don't feel like I'm supporting the same club as many on here. Add in the membership scheme that inadvertently serves to alienate people like me and I do feel detached.

So, no, I'm not overly bothered about results on the pitch, they've always been up and down. But I do want to still feel part of the family, the family that marched through Leyton when we beat Orient 2-1 on the way to the Div3 title; the family that sung to Lorenzo Pinamonte on the terraces of Rochdale, the family that went mental when Stuart Munday curled one into the top corner at Filbert Street, the family that boycotted and marched and wrote letters and worked so hard to defeat a common enemy.

I'm sure this will be a blip. I'm not confident that we will do well next season. But maybe that will make us stronger again. And I'm only speaking for myself because any old fool is given license to witter on on the net!

Hi Gull,lucky old you living in Bali.You don't fancy sending us over some sunshine do you?It's that or happy pills for most of us I reckon!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hogwash. Tony Bloom's chequebook allowed the club's player recruitment department to go out and "buy" the players. The predominant driving force in the transfer market is not managers it is money.

I expect that watching Albion matches will be more enjoyable under a new manager than during the last two seasons under Gus.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Hogwash. Tony Bloom's chequebook allowed the club's player recruitment department to go out and "buy" the players. The predominant driving force in the transfer market is not managers it is money.

I expect that watching Albion matches will be more enjoyable under a new manager than during the last two seasons under Gus.

10th and 4th in the Championship last 2 seasons you mean?

Aug 23, 2011

so if its so cut and dried that money buys success and the manager doesn't do anything why do we bother employing one. All we have to do is just buy some expensive players and let them get on with it. We'd be saving money on mamagers wages and we can just get Greer or whoever the club captain for this season is to pick the team.

Who chooses the players they want? who fits players into a system? Yes Bloom is just as responsible for the success but just because you are obviously anti-gus you can't just write off the managers job or we wouldn't have needed to go down this route and just made the post redundant

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

hogwash to u too..ive enjoyed the last 2 seasons ta very much

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'm the same, don't care who our new manager is at the moment. Feel like taking a step back from football.

This.

The worst aspect for me of the last 6 weeks in general, and the last 24 hours in particular, is that I haven't been able to summon up any other feeling than 'meh'.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Gus will only be judged after he has left the club and managed another club. All we talk about is the success we have had under Gus. Well who is to say that if we had a different manager last season, we may have gone up automatically. Gus did well to get us into the championship, however with almost 30,000 crowds now, its important to set the target of premiership football. You would expect the first season in the championship to be consolidation. The second season was the time to kick on and make a push, instead we stuttered until the last month and then we looked the inform side. We all know what happened in the playoffs. Lets see where we are this time next year and where Gus is, then history will be able to tell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here