Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sad and disillusioned...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not "beautiful" is it? Very sad that it ended this way. The closing of one of the best periods in the clubs' 112 year history. I'm glad we're moving on but certainly not glad that its happened, anyone who celebrates this whole situation is a bit unhinged.

We've waited six weeks for this. Halle-****ing-lujah

Loved Gus whilst he was here, but:
The King is dead. Long live the king.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm the same, don't care who our new manager is at the moment. Feel like taking a step back from football.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm the same, don't care who our new manager is at the moment. Feel like taking a step back from football.

I think a lot of fans feel the same way. That's why I think the club have handled this very badly. If Gus had been sacked straight away, the fans would have said good, let's get on with the future, but this has dragged on and on.
The new season is just around the corner, the acrimony is getting worse and thanks to last night, the whole footballing world thinks we're pathetic.
Why? It's all about money and how much, or how little compensation is paid.

I don't like bean counters at the best of times, and when they start running a club or a business, the heart always seems to go out of it somehow.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think a lot of fans feel the same way. That's why I think the club have handled this very badly. If Gus had been sacked straight away, the fans would have said good, let's get on with the future, but this has dragged on and on.
The new season is just around the corner, the acrimony is getting worse and thanks to last night, the whole footballing world thinks we're pathetic.

I don't like bean counters at the best of times, and when they start running a club or a business, the heart always seems to go out of it somehow.

Ain't that the truth, TB. Ain't that the truth... :nono:

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France

totally agree with this. I have been a hardcore fan as they come over the last 30 years but something don't feel right with the club at the moment. I have said before that change is not always good and it definately makes you appreciate the Withdean years more even if the ground and teams were shite. We are screwed this year now after this shambolic summer and play off defeat. It will be down to one word- "stability". Something that we had shed loads of in the time Gus was here building up the team. Just look at Chelsea and Rafa the interim manager scenario

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Whatever one's views have been on this saga..........pro club or pro Poyet,as the Argus have said it could have been handled better.
However,the whole football world won't think we are pathetic,they don't really give a toss.Life will go on,Poyet will get another job,Brighton will recruit another manager(with no shortage of interest) and eventually get to the Prem.Lessons will be learned and the bean counting will not go away.
Without the beans being counted properly,we wouldn't have a football club,especially in this day and age.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
BUT, if you are a CEO, your job is to see that things don't come to this. That you lose the key employee who has transformed the performance of your organisation, and the way it is handled alienates a large part of your customer base. I'm no legal expert, but on ethical grounds, surely the fans should be told the basis of the club's decision?

And whatever you think of Gus, you have to think this has been handled abysmally. Surely there must have been ways to resolve the situation and not let it come to this? What a mess. It doesn't reflect well on the person in charge of the day-to-day running of the club does it?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There are times when managers are sacked because results are bad. Wood, McGhee, Slade, Gritt, Case, Hinshelwood. You may disagree at the timing or the chance they've had, but you are usually excited at the change and the fresh approach that will arrive. In all those cases we improved with the new guy. Then there are times when managers walk out to pastures new. Coppell, Horton, Adams. You're pissed off because they expressed loyalty to the club, but eventually look forward to the new guy, especially if its an interesting name, again its a fresh approach and the club is bigger than any man. In two of those three cases we got promoted the same season, in the other one we got promoted a couple of seasons later.

And then there are those cases where the manager is doing well, but falls out with the board and resigns or is sacked out of the blue. Brady, Wilkins, Poyet, (Taylor?). Those times feel sad, for some its as if we've been let down by the board, and can result in-fighting amongst the fans. Its notable in two of the three cases like that in recent memory we got relegated the following season, in the other one we almost got relegated. It doesn't inspire hope.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not "beautiful" is it? Very sad that it ended this way. The closing of one of the best periods in the clubs' 112 year history. I'm glad we're moving on but certainly not glad that its happened, anyone who celebrates this whole situation is a bit unhinged.

Totally agree. We need to move on, but it doesn't mean one can't regret how things turned out. Hopefully in a year's time we will be looking forward to a first season in the premiership and thinking: "Well, who'd have thought we'd do that after the rumblings of last summer!"

And Gus will have been installed as manager of Tottenham, having overseen their escape from relegation after the sacking of AVB mid-season.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There are times when managers are sacked because results are bad. Wood, McGhee, Slade, Gritt, Case, Hinshelwood. You may disagree at the timing or the chance they've had, but you are usually excited at the change and the fresh approach that will arrive. In all those cases we improved with the new guy. Then there are times when managers walk out to pastures new. Coppell, Horton, Adams. You're pissed off because they expressed loyalty to the club, but eventually look forward to the new guy, especially if its an interesting name, again its a fresh approach and the club is bigger than any man. In two of those three cases we got promoted the same season, in the other one we got promoted a couple of seasons later.

And then there are those cases where the manager is doing well, but falls out with the board and resigns or is sacked out of the blue. Brady, Wilkins, Poyet, (Taylor?). Those times feel sad, for some its as if we've been let down by the board, and can result in-fighting amongst the fans. Its notable in two of the three cases like that in recent memory we got relegated the following season, in the other one we almost got relegated. It doesn't inspire hope.

Gull,it will be o.k.It is not the end of the world;we can realistically look forward to a secure and successful future at this club and are in a far better position to succeed than we have been for years.
Chin up old boy and if that doesn't work,perhaps you need a few yoga classes and some happy pills!:)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One way to look at it - if Gus had left us to go elsewhere (quite likely) we would have been in the same situation (ie without a manager). And at least it hasn't happened half-way through the season.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
What I find hard to grasp is the theory that because it "Was announced live on BBC TV" we are the laughing stock of football. It was BBC 3 for f**ks sake, who ever watches BBC 3? and British football revolves around the Premiership, anything outside of that doesn't count in the medias eyes so just chill guys and look forward to our new manager whoever he maybe and another season's footie in the magnificent AMEX stadium.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Gull,it will be o.k.It is not the end of the world;we can realistically look forward to a secure and successful future at this club and are in a far better position to succeed than we have been for years.
Chin up old boy and if that doesn't work,perhaps you need a few yoga classes and some happy pills!:)

I'm fine, I live in Bali :lolol: but I am getting mightily pissed off with everything around this saga. Living this far from home, being part of the Albion family is important to me, its an identity and a link to home. Yet to read so many people delighting in dancing on Gus' grave is very hurtful, its been such a fantastic last three years and now I don't feel like I'm supporting the same club as many on here. Add in the membership scheme that inadvertently serves to alienate people like me and I do feel detached.

So, no, I'm not overly bothered about results on the pitch, they've always been up and down. But I do want to still feel part of the family, the family that marched through Leyton when we beat Orient 2-1 on the way to the Div3 title; the family that sung to Lorenzo Pinamonte on the terraces of Rochdale, the family that went mental when Stuart Munday curled one into the top corner at Filbert Street, the family that boycotted and marched and wrote letters and worked so hard to defeat a common enemy.

I'm sure this will be a blip. I'm not confident that we will do well next season. But maybe that will make us stronger again. And I'm only speaking for myself because any old fool is given license to witter on on the net!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Whatever one's views have been on this saga..........pro club or pro Poyet,as the Argus have said it could have been handled better.
However,the whole football world won't think we are pathetic,they don't really give a toss.Life will go on,Poyet will get another job,Brighton will recruit another manager(with no shortage of interest) and eventually get to the Prem.Lessons will be learned and the bean counting will not go away.
Without the beans being counted properly,we wouldn't have a football club,especially in this day and age.

Totally agree. Ultimately we will never know the ins and outs of what happened, but if TB had good reason and Gus is gone without us paying him off then all this is in the best interests of the club. If TB had only dodgy reason and Gus gets a payout but the relationship had broken down to the extent that it had to end this way then that is also in the best interests of the club.

So, in all honesty, although I have been watching this as eagerly as all of you, I really couldn't give a f**k who said what to who and who started it. It will all be forgotten soon enough and I think we are actually in quite a good shape to move on from where Gus took us to and for our new manager (I think "interim" is a legal convenience) - please be Oscar - will take us to the next level.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
is how I am feeling tonight.

It looks like we will never know the ins and outs of this business. Whether you are pro or anti Gus, everything is speculation.

BUT, if you are a CEO, your job is to see that things don't come to this. That you lose the key employee who has transformed the performance of your organisation, and the way it is handled alienates a large part of your customer base. I'm no legal expert, but on ethical grounds, surely the fans should be told the basis of the club's decision?

Sad, very sad,that such a good season will be remembered for the final game and this shambolic summer.

PG

Totally agree although I don't think you can absolve Tony Bloom of responsibility either. Whatever the rights and wrongs it has been handled extremely poorly.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What I find hard to grasp is the theory that because it "Was announced live on BBC TV" we are the laughing stock of football. It was BBC 3 for f**ks sake, who ever watches BBC 3? and British football revolves around the Premiership, anything outside of that doesn't count in the medias eyes so just chill guys and look forward to our new manager whoever he maybe and another season's footie in the magnificent AMEX stadium.

Have you noticed ALL OVER THE PLACE the "Gus sacked on TV" headlines. It is not as if nobody has noticed. The hubbub will die down, obviously, but for a while, at least, the club is news for the wrong reasons, however justifiable or not it might be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here