Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] SA v India - Astonishing Day 1

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
A score of 106, in a Test where the next highest score (across BOTH of his side's innings) is 15, is quite something, statistically.
By way of comparison (and I'm not sure how to go about searching for the next highest score across both innings of a game so this is as much as I can be bothered to do), in the very first test innings when Charles Bannerman set the record for Highest Proportion of Runs Scored in an Innings, the next highest score after his 165 was 18* by Tom Garrett.
The next highest score across both Australian innings was 20 by Tom Horan.

It's worth looking through the player profile pages to see the hat/facial hair combos the players rocked back then.
I also note that they've counted the balls faced by each batter in every innings except the first, which may suggest the scorer hadn't turned up for the start of the game.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ravi Shastri on commentary: "If someone went around the corner for a dump and has come back, India have been bowled out for 153" :LOL:

Love Ravi Shastri, he's absolutely box office. The world feed commentators like at the CWC are absolutely fantastic.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Another stat from yesterday I read this morning - Tristan Stubbs is only the second player to be dismissed twice on his first day of Test cricket, after Harry Butt (England v South Africa, 1896)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
India win by 7 wickets. Shortest Test Match ever in terms of balls bowled to achieve a winner apparently. Previous was 109.2 overs at the MCG in 1932 when Australia beat South Africa.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Incredible to think there was actually a century in that match. I assume nobody told Markram to take his time. 603 balls in the match and his innings was 103 of them.

My mate who lives in Cape Town told me last week that he bought tickets for day 3 😧

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Often the case when a team's bowled out cheaply on a lively pitch that the wicket taking balls are those that don't do anything untoward.
That said, I'm sure every time a team get bowled out in England on a pitch with even a hint of green on it the visiting media start blathering on about "the most extreme conditions we've ever seen", rather than their batters' lack of technique or patience against the moving ball.
As I was saying...

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
A score of 106, in a Test where the next highest score (across BOTH of his side's innings) is 15, is quite something, statistically.
To follow up on my previous reply, somebody with even more time on their hands than I do actually looked this up:

The record for most runs as a proportion of the team's total across both innings of the test is held by Jimmy Sinclair of South Africa, set against England in Cape Town in 1899.
He scored 106 out of 177 in the first innings, and 4 out of 35 in the second. This was all after taking 6/26 in England's first innings as they were bowled out for 92.

Another fun detail - this was one of those games where, having started on a Saturday, they had a rest day after a single day of the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here