Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] SA v India - Astonishing Day 1

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Day one of South Africa v India. Hosts skittled out for 55 in 23.3 overs. India, in reply were 153-4 and lost their last 6 wickets for 0.

SA now batting again with Rabada on a hat trick - if he bowls again which they need over 90 to ensure, with the Saffer's next Tests being played by reserve players due to SA20.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Looking at the FOW on the card, India lost those last 6 wickets, in ELEVEN balls (between 33.1 and 34.5 overs) :eek:

You'd certainly not want to have bought tickets for Days 4 and 5 at the weekend!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
…or be the groundsman being called into the CEO’s office this evening
I saw all of the SA first innings wickets on SSN at lunchtime - basically all nicked off driving at a swinging deliveries. Didn't really look to be down to the pitch at all.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The 23 wickets to fall today (so far) is the 2nd highest on Day 1 in Test Match history.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Most wickets in a day at a Test Match is day 2 of The Lord's Test Match in 1888 when 27 fell.

One-day cricket is great

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Which village are they playing in?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That currently equals the most wickets taken in a day - 23
I can't remember as many as that in a match involving England. I know we were skittled twice for under 100 in Christchurch once, but that was about 16/17 in the day.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My son is 15. Loves cricket. If he has kids once in his 30s I don’t think they will ever see test cricket. The game is going to die. All players and administrators seem to care about is t20. I am only 44 years old but I am pretty numb to it. Unless Somerset are playing I don’t pay much attention to short form (and that is now starting to include England in the not bothered category). But all these franchise tournaments I just don’t care. It is becoming more like an exhibition event where players are all mates.

I am a moany git as I preferred it when it seemed teams really disliked each other. 4/5 test series so resentment can build. Now they play a couple of tests against each other then share a flight to the next tournament where they are team mates.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
My son is 15. Loves cricket. If he has kids once in his 30s I don’t think they will ever see test cricket. The game is going to die. All players and administrators seem to care about is t20. I am only 44 years old but I am pretty numb to it. Unless Somerset are playing I don’t pay much attention to short form (and that is now starting to include England in the not bothered category). But all these franchise tournaments I just don’t care. It is becoming more like an exhibition event where players are all mates.

I am a moany git as I preferred it when it seemed teams really disliked each other. 4/5 test series so resentment can build. Now they play a couple of tests against each other then share a flight to the next tournament where they are team mates.
Same as the County game. Red Ball cricket is near enough dead and buried at that level, so Test level cricket is disintegrating fast. Crying shame.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Cape Town can be a funny ground like that. Do you remember maybe 10 years back, they played Australia there. Australia had batted first, and on the 2nd day they bowled SA out for 96, only to be bowled out themselves for 47 on the same day.

Reactions: A1X

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I saw all of the SA first innings wickets on SSN at lunchtime - basically all nicked off driving at a swinging deliveries. Didn't really look to be down to the pitch at all.
Often the case when a team's bowled out cheaply on a lively pitch that the wicket taking balls are those that don't do anything untoward.
That said, I'm sure every time a team get bowled out in England on a pitch with even a hint of green on it the visiting media start blathering on about "the most extreme conditions we've ever seen", rather than their batters' lack of technique or patience against the moving ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here