Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SA v Eng 4th Test official thread

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
the third umpire is allowed to use the technology available to the host broadcaster. So if SABC had snicko or hot spot then it would be used. They don't have it.

In my view, it is up to the ICC to supply the equipment to the host broadcaster if they want to use all the technology for all Test matches.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
In my view, it is up to the ICC to supply the equipment to the host broadcaster if they want to use all the technology for all Test matches.

Fair comment.

Train this am was (or seemed to be) full of Saffers taking the piss. My god do they think they are God's chosen race.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, that's right.

My point was really in response to Easy10 leaping on a "replay controversy" to yet again throw out baby and bath water and claim this as proof that replays do not work in sport blah blah blah, when taking cricket as an example of that simply doesn't work, because the TV replay has become an integral part of the improvement in decision making. The fact that people are up in arms about two very marginal calls one way or the other just shows how far we've come in cricket courtesy of TV replays.

It also goes to show that replays don't always clear up the issues correctly.
Anyway, cricket lends itself to replays far better than football ever could, as you have an opportunity to review a decision between deliveries. That is a luxury you simply do not get in a flowing game such as football, where you'd need a raft of additional legislation to accomodate any number of occurrences that could happen between the incident to be reviewed, and the game stopping.

Anyhoo, we've utterly done this to death and never reached a consensus, and I don't think we ever will.

:thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's just your knee jerk reaction though Easy, to see a controversy and say "see, that's why it will never work." No-one ever says technology will clear up all issues correctly, but what it does do is eradicate the clear errors that we can all see virtually immediately. That's what cricket sets out to do with their replay system, and that's what they deliver.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Replays are SHIT. I hate them in cricket and I'd hate to see them in football: they don't solve anything. :coupleofglassesofwineatlunchtime:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Are my eyes deceiving me?! This is what the BBC ball by ball screen says:

Score updates automatically

England: 180
South Africa: 208-2
Delayed (crowd trouble)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Absolutely. Then every test has the same conditions.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Agree with that sentiment.

It has to be the same technology used in every test series. Not bits and pieces here and there.

Agreed, but at least have third officials that are competent, not an idiot like :wanker:Harper who is either as bent as a nine bob note or the worst umpire in the game...........or both.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Why isn't Anderson bowling? They started with Sidearse this morning and they've started with him again after this break.

Why is our best bowler not getting a go at the critical times?

f***ing HELL

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Close of play, I would imagine. Balls. We could have done with a wicket in that short session.

Yes we could have done. Unfortuntely Sidebottom got the ball instead of the series' highest wicket taker. Strauss really does piss me off sometimes.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The best bowler for that wicket was dropped, Onions would have thrived on that strip, bring in Sidearse, win the toss and bat.........Strauss is so tactically naive

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The best bowler for that wicket was dropped, Onions would have thrived on that strip, bring in Sidearse, win the toss and bat.........Strauss is so tactically naive

Tactically naive? Is that the same as bloody useless? Shame Tresco has had to retire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here