Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryder Cup 2012

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
It's what the Yanks deserved for doctoring the course to suit their players. We didn't do it at Celtic Manor.

Indeed, went against the etiquette of the game and was a little black mark against their sportsmanship for me. Even Jack Nicklaus was criticising it when he did his spell on the commentary. And a couple of the players not conceding the hole when a Europe player had 2 putts from 10 yards or so wasn't great.

But then, it made Europe's victory even sweeter

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought it was a great moment, the game was up, share the point, classy.
Although I agree with general idea that sharing the point is classy, and it would make sense if we'd already won the rider cup, but we hadn't. Yes, we'd retained it, but had Molinari missed Europe would have finished happy that we'd retained it despite being 10-6 down, and at least the US would have had the consolation of not losing from a 10-6 lead. A draw would have left both sides with something.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think my four favourite moments of the whole thing were:
Good choices.
1. Lawrie's chip in, from an impossible position
Great shot.
2. Woods v Molinari, on the 13th (? - par 3 over the water). Woods tee shot landed 6 ft from the flag and it looked like he was going one up. Molinari lands his 2 ft away, and Woods is scrambling to save a half.
Did Woods get the half? There was one (but I thought it was a par 4) where Woods hit what looked like a winning iron to 4 feet, only for Moli to put his 2 feet from the pin and win the hole.

4. Best of all, Furyk's premature celebration on the 16th green, just before his match clinching putt lipped out.
Also my favourite. I thought it would look good as someone's motion avatar.

I'd add Poulter's chip in at the first. He didn't win the hole, but what a way to start the day. Oh, and Rory turning up in a police car, for the same reason.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Indeed, went against the etiquette of the game and was a little black mark against their sportsmanship for me. Even Jack Nicklaus was criticising it when he did his spell on the commentary. And a couple of the players not conceding the hole when a Europe player had 2 putts from 10 yards or so wasn't great.

Monty made shorter fairways the further you drive it and thick rough

matthew

Sep 20, 2009

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Tigers's 4 iron on the 13th to 3 feet was definitely shot of the week - that was unreal

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Although I agree with general idea that sharing the point is classy, and it would make sense if we'd already won the rider cup, but we hadn't. Yes, we'd retained it, but had Molinari missed Europe would have finished happy that we'd retained it despite being 10-6 down, and at least the US would have had the consolation of not losing from a 10-6 lead. A draw would have left both sides with something.

You're probably right - I was just given a thumbs up to Tiger when compared with his moronic colleagues. On that subject, does anyone else struggle with some of the behaviour of the committed 'Christians' in american golf?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Didn't realise that. Monty was quite critical of it too, saying he turned down the chance to alter the course in their favour. But then he was quite keen on blowing his own trumpet yesterday.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Didn't realise that. Monty was quite critical of it too, saying he turned down the chance to alter the course in their favour. But then he was quite keen on blowing his own trumpet yesterday.

There is a subtle difference between making the course more of a test of the player's skills, against trying to just turn it into a hitting competition.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Woods missed a 3 footer, which could easily have been conceded but, since he missed, obviouslt shouldn't have been. Molinari was inside him so had no more than a 30 inch putt. It would have been extremely bad form to make him putt it, on a par with the appalling show of bad grace by Kuchar in making Westwood hole a 2 footer (if it was even that long). At least Tiger kept his dignity and behaved with good grace.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
:D
It's what the Yanks deserved for doctoring the course to suit their players. We didn't do it at Celtic Manor.

No the weather done that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Monty was great, saying it as it was and not being overly kind to the Yanks. That Butch Harmon gets on my tits, all he ever says is everyone a "great friend of his", frankly I don't believe him and nor do I give a shit.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Monty was great, saying it as it was and not being overly kind to the Yanks. That Butch Harmon gets on my tits, all he ever says is everyone a "great friend of his", frankly I don't believe him and nor do I give a shit.

Such a good point I made it twice!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Such a good point I made it twice!

Not sure I agree completely with that. Yes Butch can be annoying, but when commentating he seemed fairly balanced and just seemed to be enjoying the great golf on show, and apologised at the end for saying that Europe had no chance earlier in the day. Agree he can be a bit too chummy when talking about the players, like Ray Wilkins does. Monty was good for the majority, but just got the feeling he was trying to elbow his way into the limelight at the end rather than crediting Jose fully. Am nit picking now though

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Is that what will happen in 2 years time as this is the first year the captains got a say

Tigers's 4 iron on the 13th to 3 feet was definitely shot of the week - that was unreal

I beg to differ Justine Rose's putt on the 17th with all of the pressure that went with it and it could be argued that it was that putt that won the cup, I think at the time the projected scores were something like 16½ 11½

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here