Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ryan Longman

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I would say at 21 it's very hard to tell. Even Kane was pretty shit at that age, and some players just develop later in their career than others. Longman may be one of these, and being written off so easily by Swanny surprised me.

Without a doubt far too early to be writing him off, and the fact that he's forced his way into the Hull starting 11 and is scoring and getting assists is going to be huge for his confidence. Hopefully it's just the start for him. I'm friends with the sports editor for BBC Radio Humberside, I should really get some feedback on how he thinks he's doing as he's been a Hull fan through thick and thin and is normally a good source for the feeling about their players.

The other positive with him, Tolaj and Ferguson is we seem to have unearthed some kids who are built like they can cope in the PL.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
At 21 Ben White hadn’t played above League 2…

Comparing him to White at Leeds is totally asinine. :shrug:

Good word that. Never read it on NSC before.

And appropriate too.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ben White was a star player in a team that owned that division, and there was a huge clamour for him to be bought - offers apparantly up to £30M were made and rejected - and remember, White was identified as a future England player almost two years before he joined Leeds..
Ryan is doing OK, at a smaller club that is nowhere near the top of their league. He seems to be well liked by the fans, but regarded as inconsistant. Plus there's likely to be quite a queue of young wide-attacking players at The Amex next summer.

Let's not forget the most important factor here: for one season, White was coached by Bielsa – the great genius who is ENTIRELY responsible for making Ben the player he is today. Mere mortal managers can only DREAM to have the immediate, spellbinding impact that Magic Marcello has on his charges :moo:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let's not forget the most important factor here: for one season, White was coached by Bielsa – the great genius who is ENTIRELY responsible for making Ben the player he is today. Mere mortal managers can only DREAM to have the immediate, spellbinding impact that Magic Marcello has on his charges :moo:

Bielsa did a terrific job today - genius in fact - in steering his team away from the pitfalls of a tricky fourth round tie at Kidderminster, a serious potential banana skin.

As I said, pure genius - I don't know how he does it!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Talk we could offload him permanently this window. Hull, Forest, Preston & Huddersfield all interested

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Wonderful goal that. A champ move would be excellent for a player who’ll clearly have a very good career. It’s a very, very long way from the Brighton first team squad for the likes of him though, sadly.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Suit yourself. :shrug:

(and actually your facts are wrong; he had)

Okay, I’ll rephrase: When White was the age Longman is now he hadn’t played above L2.

Will Longman make it us? Who knows.
Will he be better than White? Perhaps not.

But to compare the impact on Longman has had at Hull with the impact White had at Leeds whilst ignoring the fact that Longman is considerably younger is disingenuous at best.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Okay, I’ll rephrase: When White was the age Longman is now he hadn’t played above L2.

Will Longman make it us? Who knows.
Will he be better than White? Perhaps not.

But to compare the impact on Longman has had at Hull with the impact White had at Leeds whilst ignoring the fact that Longman is considerably younger is disingenuous at best.
Longman is 21. White was playing for Leeds at 21. Few months in it, that's all. Of course we don't know just how good they'll eventually be; we do know what level they are/were when aged 21.
But to say comparison of their careers at this stage is 'asinine' or 'disingenuous'? Bollox! Stop digging.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Playing right wing-back for Hull again! He looked very good there in the cup. This is exactly the sort of versatility that will get him into our squad next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here