Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ryan dropped

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wow. Guess all the rumours linking us to keepers in the summer may have had some truth to them.

But this could also be about Sanchez. If he just wanted to drop Ryan he would pick Steele. This suggests that Sanchez has made a huge impression and Potter wants him in the team regardless.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Potter has absolutely giant balls.

If this doesn't work, then obviously he will have to take responsibility.

Massive decision. Massive balls.

Will certainly be an interesting evening.

I don’t agree with first three paragraphs.
Any top class manager would have done the same.
And Whatever happens, it’s the right decision.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I do. But there’s games to put a debutant keeper in. Spurs away with Son and Kane on fire is not one. Expect we’ll lose 3-0 and everyone will say there’s nothing Sanchez could have done about the goals - but it’s still a huge call - hope I’m wrong - wait and see...
I wasn’t expecting much tonight after the way we finished the WBA game, perhaps this shake up will be just what we needed. If nothing else it’ll mean that Maty has a rival for his place which will help him.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
When Walton came in for the Spurs cup game he had an outstanding performance, hopefully Sanchez will do the same

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
GP is not afraid to put faith in young players.

Matty, love him, but flappy and in my opinion has been shaky the past 12 months, and doesn’t inspire confidence when a ball is whipped in the box. We’ve all had a few arguments on him down the years on NSC (it seems opinion tide has turned slightly on that recently).

Sanchez meanwhile, has had great reports from his loan and looked really promising in the league cup, lots of potential.

This could be Sanchez’s “Connolly moment”. What an opportunity. Fingers crossed for the lad.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
From the little I have seen of Sanchez it’s an understandable call. A goalie to command his area, rather than the goal line.
Good luck to the lad. I think it’s a great decision. Don’t need big balls to do the bleeding’ obvious.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
GP is not afraid to put faith in young players.

Matty, love him, but flappy and in my opinion has been shaky the past 12 months, and doesn’t inspire confidence when a ball is whipped in the box. We’ve all had a few arguments on him down the years on NSC (it seems opinion tide has turned slightly on that recently).

Sanchez meanwhile, has had great reports from his loan and looked really promising in the league cup, lots of potential.

This could be Sanchez’s “Connolly moment”. What an opportunity. Fingers crossed for the lad.

Couldn't agree more, lets be honest he's been thrown in at the deep end here against an in-form Son and Kane, but really hoping he goes well. I think we were all expecting us to concede 2 or 3 at least regardless tonight.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I do. But there’s games to put a debutant keeper in. Spurs away with Son and Kane on fire is not one. Expect we’ll lose 3-0 and everyone will say there’s nothing Sanchez could have done about the goals - but it’s still a huge call - hope I’m wrong - wait and see...

Depends how you look at it. I’d say it’s worth blooding him in a match like this, if we think we are going to lose anyway. Less pressure.
There’s no ideal prem game to give a keeper a debut.
As for Steele. It’s a bit of left field decision, but there’s nothing special about Steele. He obviously hasn’t done enough.
I’m excited about Sanchez’s selection.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When Walton came in for the Spurs cup game he had an outstanding performance, hopefully Sanchez will do the same

I went to the match but unfortunately my memory must be fading, I do not remember an outstanding performance.
Not knocking your opinion, I just can’t remember it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m with Potter on this, but shocked that he’s actually done something about Ryan.

Some of the goals conceded are close to Ryan and appear saveable for an elite keeper. Plus he doesn’t command the box to high balls.

Ryan seems to swerve the NSC ire directed towards Maupay, March, Burn, Gross.

D

Deleted member 2719

No one but no one should feel comfortable, Ryan has for far too long been scrapping through, with no edge.

Well done Potter keep the lads on their toes.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Confidence from Potter.

Also sends a strong message to the players, no one is an automatic pick.

Or perhaps he’s lost the plot? ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don’t agree with first three paragraphs.
Any top class manager would have done the same.
And Whatever happens, it’s the right decision.

I reckon you would vote Trump if you had the chance too ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Confidence from Potter.

Also sends a strong message to the players, no one is an automatic pick.

Potter’s sick to death at being one of life’s doormats, people kicking sand in his face.

1. He took on the ungrateful supporters this week.
2. Dropping squad bad apples Maupay and Ryan.

Next stop, pumped-up, trying to get to the ref on final whistle today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here