Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This is 👏 brilliant.

Well done PACE, (Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe)

This is exactly the right language and the right approach. Putin is in total war to destroy Ukraine and the West, we must use our considerable size, resource advatage to crush his terrorist regime, and as PACE have done so forthright, call a spade a spade.

It's one of best things I've seen in months, total bullseye 🎯 🙌

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A further update on the drone front.

Edit: for orientation, Kovylkino is about 600 km south east of Moscow.
Strong rumour online that the over-the-horizon radar, attacked by Ukraine, has been successfully damaged, possibly put out of action...?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm pretty sure I read a few days ago that Ukrainian drones are successfully taking out S-400s on the front line.

Now it looks like Dzhankoi and Kovylkino are confirmed as successful hits.

Anti aircraft systems. Command and control posts. Russian generals. Oil refineries. Fuel depots. Chemical plants. Radar installations. Fighter jets. Strategic bombers.

Is there anything that Ukrainian drones can't destroy?

Edit: apologies. Black Sea fleet.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'm pretty sure I read a few days ago that Ukrainian drones are successfully taking out S-400s on the front line.

Now it looks like Dzhankoi and Kovylkino are confirmed as successful hits.

Anti aircraft systems. Command and control posts. Russian generals. Oil refineries. Fuel depots. Chemical plants. Radar installations. Fighter jets. Strategic bombers.

Is there anything that Ukrainian drones can't destroy?

Edit: apologies. Black Sea fleet.
I'm thinking back just a few months, when the only damage Ukraine was able to inflict on Russian territory were the minor incursions over the border to invade villages near Belgorod for a day.

What an astonishing turnaround in Ukraine's capability.
From memory it started with sea drones in the Black Sea...and now it's seemingly anywhere they please.

Budanov (I think) said..."we will take the war to Russia".

I know Russia still has the upper hand on the front line, but these numerous Ukrainian successes could have an affect there soon. Planes are coming 🤞🏻🤞🏻.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm thinking back just a few months, when the only damage Ukraine was able to inflict on Russian territory were the minor incursions over the border to invade villages near Belgorod for a day.

What an astonishing turnaround in Ukraine's capability.
From memory it started with sea drones in the Black Sea...and now it's seemingly anywhere they please.

Budanov (I think) said..."we will take the war to Russia".

I know Russia still has the upper hand on the front line, but these numerous Ukrainian successes could have an affect there soon. Planes are coming 🤞🏻🤞🏻.
Yes. You've got it.

Ukraine saw that it couldn't win on the front line, so it flew over it and began to attack Russia's supply lines to their front line.

In doing so, it is beginning to open up a new front line deep inside Russia.

But there's a long way to go. Russia has indeed got the upper hand on the front line in Ukraine. But can Russia supply an offensive? It is already resorting to CS gas. That is a sign of weakness.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Yes. You've got it.

Ukraine saw that it couldn't win on the front line, so it flew over it and began to attack Russia's supply lines to their front line.

In doing so, it is beginning to open up a new front line deep inside Russia.

But there's a long way to go. Russia has indeed got the upper hand on the front line in Ukraine. But can Russia supply an offensive? It is already resorting to CS gas. That is a sign of weakness.
Yes, there's a very long way to go still.

Another benefit of striking inside Russia is that their citizens will see some of the war in their region, sometimes on their doorsteps regularly - no longer only the propaganda served up by their media machines.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This is 👏 brilliant.

Well done PACE, (Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe)

This is exactly the right language and the right approach. Putin is in total war to destroy Ukraine and the West, we must use our considerable size, resource advatage to crush his terrorist regime, and as PACE have done so forthright, call a spade a spade.

It's one of best things I've seen in months, total bullseye 🎯 🙌

To be honest, I didn't know much about the PACE Council. Since your post I've been reading up more.
Their announcement certainly adds weight to the 'let's get real about this' dialog that's been increasing in Europe these recent weeks 👍

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Possible good news, but this is Trump.....

Well it's something 'positive' from him, but also with the knife of “As everyone agrees, Ukrainian Survival and Strength should be much more important to Europe than to us, but it is also important to us! GET MOVING EUROPE!” Trump said on his social media platform Truth Social Thursday.

I don't mind the "GET MOVING EUROPE" bit in terms of countries paying their way for NATO - it should be done (maybe Hungary gets a discount 😏).
I also wouldn't mind if Europe start more serious discussions about a European army organisation - maybe the US needs to see that Europe could, would go it alone if needed.

Of course, Trump may be playing to the gallery so that he looks a more balanced guy during his court cases...who knows.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A very interesting one from Zeihan covering a number of issues:
- Norway has joined the coalition of countries going to send fighter jets to Ukraine, using the the words "the deeper the better" for how Ukraine should keep attacking inside Russia with drones etc
- how the US policy is currently at odds with this European coalition view
- how he thinks the US' concerns about strikes on Russian oil refineries driving up energy costs during the US election year is totally wrong
- and another video from him (not posted) stating he believes French troops WILL be used in direct support of Ukraine by the end of the year: 1. to support equipment repairs in Ukraine. 2. to train Ukrainian special forces, and in return be trained in drone technology and use. 3. possibly to backfill Ukrainian troops stationed for defensive reasons close to Belarus and Transnistria/Moldova borders, so those Ukrainian troops can be moved to the front (? I haven't thought through the geography of his idea)

Interesting thoughts from him. Here's the video.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
More drone manufacturing happening in Ukraine:
Screenshot_2024-04-19-17-28-22-81_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, there's a very long way to go still.

Another benefit of striking inside Russia is that their citizens will see some of the war in their region, sometimes on their doorsteps regularly - no longer only the propaganda served up by their media machines.
Paul is a journalist for Kyivpost.

Loving this optimism and reading of the bigger picture.

We're miles from an end game, but I agree with Paul, by end of summer I think the pendulum will firmly swing back in Ukraines favour if this aid gets granted.

Russia have mounting problems

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

We're miles from an end game, but I agree with Paul, by end of summer I think the pendulum will firmly swing back in Ukraines favour if this aid gets granted.

A very interesting and positive piece, thanks for posting.
I think I read recently that Putin's new recruits from prisons will have to fight until the war ends (no longer the 6 month contract)...or until they die of course.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A very interesting and positive piece, thanks for posting.
I think I read recently that Putin's new recruits from prisons will have to fight until the war ends (no longer the 6 month contract)...or until they die of course.
If that's the case, it's almost inevitable death.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

Too optimistic I’m afraid. Russia has started to gain ground due to the glide bombs that are deviating Ukrainian defences. There is no mention of how to mitigate this threat.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
How about this one? Is this one too optimistic?

Well yes. For exactly the same reason. I’m hoping when the F16s arrive they can have some impact but currently the Russian aircraft can launch their guide bombs way out of range of air defence. These bombs are massive, very accurate and they have loads of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here