Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
(Obviously ignore the car symbol), for the first time Ukrainian forces have probed through all defensive lines in a sector, creating panic. They’re finding Russian conscripts with horrific injuries, yet more cannon fodder to Putin.

View attachment 164226
Sky reporting fierce fighting on that road you highlighted, around Robotyne, around 100km from the sea.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sky reporting fierce fighting on that road you highlighted, around Robotyne, around 100km from the sea.

The land bridge is threatened.

Putin will react in a cowardly Hitler-esque vengeance manner. Murdering Ukrainians in churches or hospitals.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The land bridge is threatened.

Putin will react in a cowardly Hitler-esque vengeance manner. Murdering Ukrainians in churches or hospitals.
What is going on in Samara? It is deep inside Russia, presumably way outside Ukraine's reach.

I remember Putin promising a new motorway from Moscow to Kazan, capital of Tatarstan. He promised this motorway at the same time as increasing the budget for internal security by 40%. In other words, he predicted internal unrest, and needed to placate the Tatars. Samara is to the south of Tatarstan, lying between it and Kazakhstan.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What is going on in Samara? It is deep inside Russia, presumably way outside Ukraine's reach.

I remember Putin promising a new motorway from Moscow to Kazan, capital of Tatarstan. He promised this motorway at the same time as increasing the budget for internal security by 40%. In other words, he predicted internal unrest, and needed to placate the Tatars. Samara is to the south of Tatarstan, lying between it and Kazakhstan.

Putin’s spinning too many plates.

I suspect Belarus (pretending to be just Wagner mercenaries) will attack Ukraine at some stage, giving Putin a second front. I hope Zelensky and his western expert advisors/satellite imagery have a phalanx of surprises to destroy them within days.

In Feb 2022 Ukraine did an incredible job, operating with relative buttons. Brave units with shoulder held Javelin missiles. Now they have the experience, training and 21st Century hardware.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
My hope is that Russians have been sending most of the troops in the rear defence lines to plug gaps in the first line. They can't report bad news upwards so have kept doing this.

Once the first line is breached hopefully it is just cardboard cut outs manning the 2nd and 3rd line defences.
From everything I've read. I believe the 2nd "surovikhin" line is meant to be the strongest?

But certainly many accounts on last 48 hours, Ukraine are through first and on up towards second in Zaporizhia direction.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
What's all this? Is Putin appealing to the non-western world (Africa, China) to broker a peace deal? Freeze the conflict where it is?

Consider the backdrop to this development.

Ukraine has recently hit the Kerch bridge, hit a bridge between Kherson and Crimea, and made reported breakthroughs in Zap and Donetsk, with Zelensky announcing that Ukrainian soldiers will soon be in Crimea. Together, they point to a possible recapture of Crimea by Ukraine.

It would mean a reversal of the Russian annexation of Crimea in 2014, a strategic defeat for Putin and perhaps hasten his removal from power.
No wonder he says he's open to peace talks!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this the sort of leader we can expect to emerge when Putin is assassinated/removed. Pretty damn scary as the guy seems to have no grip on reality

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Standard Russian diplomacy.

We should expect all kinds of threats as Russia continues to lose the war and the pressure on Putin and the inner circle intensifies.
Medvedev lost his marbles way back. Always trying to raise the ante, might be time for him to grab a rifle and head for the front and do his bit!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

He will need to placate their ethnic minorities more and more as this conflict goes on. They form a disproportionate (as far as I know) % of conscripts and their lives on the fringes of Russia were not great to begin with. Power to the minorities to cause unrest in potentially many regions.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Good to see Ukraine hitting back - still rather worrying, though, how the mad dog in the Kremlin will react.

I’m intrigued to know how they are doing this. Presumably the attacks are launched from inside Russia as the drones would otherwise be intercepted or wouldn’t have the range? The Russians must be going nuts trying to track them down. Wonderful timing too - humiliating for Putin and takes the gloss off his naval display today.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I’m intrigued to know how they are doing this. Presumably the attacks are launched from inside Russia as the drones would otherwise be intercepted or wouldn’t have the range? The Russians must be going nuts trying to track them down. Wonderful timing too - humiliating for Putin and takes the gloss off his naval display today.
I thought they were launched from within Ukraine but I'm ready to be corrected by someone!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I thought they were launched from within Ukraine but I'm ready to be corrected by someone!
I’m no expert on drones but I recall one of the many military experts suggesting that you’d expect any drone launched from Ukraine to be intercepted long before reaching Moscow ( and other targets in Russia). Perhaps it’s possible that Ukrainian “SAS” type units are operating inside Russia?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I’m no expert on drones but I recall one of the many military experts suggesting that you’d expect any drone launched from Ukraine to be intercepted long before reaching Moscow ( and other targets in Russia). Perhaps it’s possible that Ukrainian “SAS” type units are operating inside Russia?
Could be 👍and that would be good, but I think it's also possible the Russian air defense systems are a bit poor on some routes into Moscow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here