Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Multiple twitter feeds confirming that there is severe civil unrest, Putin has vowed to crush the insurrection. Difficult to know how many " Decent " well equipped and trained soldiers will remain loyal to him though. Lots of conscripts,regular troops and Wagner fighters have been treated like meat at the front are very pissed off.

Interesting times.

Edit: BBC now reporting on this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
come on Trig, I know it’s late, but you can order the strikes, wait for them to be in the air, and…….

Yes of course, I wasn't suggesting he had to have the gun against his head while making the order, simply that people would be able to see he's lost power, so it's not clear they'd want to destroy the world.

I agree that it is a concern, but jcdenton isn't sure if the latest developments are good news. If you want Russia to lose, then they are good news. Russia losing, does carry it's own risks, but Russia winning carries more.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
In the last few minutes we have had an intelligence update from the UK's Ministry of Defence.

It says some Wagner units "are moving north through Vorenezh Oblast, almost certainly aiming to get to Moscow".

Vorenezh lies halfway between the capital Moscow and Rostov-on-Don, the Russian city that the Wagner mercenary group claims it now controls. The UK MoD says Wagner has "almost certainly" occupied key sites in Rostov-on-Don.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My mind is blown by these most recent updates. Do we have enough information yet to know if this is genuine, or could it be a carefully choreographed media operation, to try and wrong foot Ukraine’s troops into making an unwise attack?
As before, Ukraine will act on what they see on the ground, not based on social media.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would we rather deal with a pragmatic Prigorzhin than a paranoid Putin? If anything my concern is that Prigorzhin seems more capable than Putin. Would love an immediate Russian collapse in Ukraine, but what would it bode for the longer term?

If Russia lose in the short term, then Ukraine can join Nato and there's a lot less concern longer term. If Russia had another evil dictator, that's not necessarily a huge issue for other countries, as Russia won't have the ability to fight them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wonder how Putin is feeling right now about his decision to invade Ukraine.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
If Russia lose in the short term, then Ukraine can join Nato and there's a lot less concern longer term. If Russia had another evil dictator, that's not necessarily a huge issue for other countries, as Russia won't have the ability to fight them.

I know that to an extent “my enemy’s enemy is my friend” and I think Prigozhin is pragmatic enough to make concessions for peace, as he’ll have enough to deal with internally in the short term. But there are no guarantees.

My background anxiety is that instead he persists with the conflict, and there’s a renewed focus from Russia’s troops brought from suddenly having a leadership that isn’t so poorly informed and detached from the reality of the conflict.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
What is it you all want to happen? Russia invaded Ukraine, and Ukraine have fought back and are trying to kick Russia out. There are two possible outcomes:
1) Russia wins
2) Russia loses

Do you want them to win? If not, then they lose, and that obviously carries the risks you're discussing.

If Putin is ready to shoot himself, will the required people be firing nukes for him?
The issue is this situation is not black and white. There’s a thousand different outcomes to this, and a couple of them really aren’t particularly good.

We obviously want Ukraine to succeed, but fate really has to take the right path on this. Hopefully with Putin gone from power, and tensions to ease off with no nuclear involvement.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
IMG_2565.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here