Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Lavrov is just a vile piece of shit

A few weeks ago, the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) predicted that as Russia continues to lose militarily, they expected to see renewed focus on other non-military fronts, e.g cyber warfare, propaganda etc.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A few weeks ago, the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) predicted that as Russia continues to lose militarily, they expected to see renewed focus on other non-military fronts, e.g cyber warfare, propaganda etc.
Yes, this would be part of that package then. Sadly the bombing of civilian housing and infrastructure continues to be too - a really tough winter for Ukraine.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Details of UK ban on import of Russian oil and products...may be interesting for some of us.
Good to see the legislation soon taking effect. Let's hope other nations do the same.

We cannot hope for a fledgling democracy to somehow take hold in Moscow. It hasn't happened for a hundred years and more. But I've always been of the opinion, that in the absence of direct military conflict, economic sanctions will slowly dismantle the Russian economy and war machine. This has to happen.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
More good news in the tweet below.
We also heard from our relatives living under occupation south east of Zaporizhzhye city... that a 1000 Russian troops/conscripts have suddenly moved out of their neighbouring town, possibly moving south toward Melitopol. If true, this suggests Russia do not have the manpower to sustain such a long front line in the north of Zap. oblast and will more likely concentrate on defending Melitopol and other towns closer to the coast. = more land returning to Ukraine soon 🤞🤞🤞

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Gloomy report about the dangers of a ceasefire or even an "agreement" with Russia.

The only way through this as far as I can see is NATO membership for Ukraine when the war ends ( pauses ).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gloomy report about the dangers of a ceasefire or even an "agreement" with Russia.

The only way through this as far as I can see is NATO membership for Ukraine when the war ends ( pauses ).

I agree, Putin will re-invade or forment trouble as he sees fit. He can't be allowed to escape the consequences of this illegal invasion.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Not sure on the credibility of the source but I thought the thread linked to via this was interesting:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Good to see the legislation soon taking effect. Let's hope other nations do the same.

We cannot hope for a fledgling democracy to somehow take hold in Moscow. It hasn't happened for a hundred years and more. But I've always been of the opinion, that in the absence of direct military conflict, economic sanctions will slowly dismantle the Russian economy and war machine. This has to happen.
Would like to think that someone like Navaltny might get into power one day, assuming he survives his prison sentence ( and any future trumped up charges). Brave man.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Not sure on the credibility of the source but I thought the thread linked to via this was interesting:

Thanks for posting @chickens.
I think Brynn Tannehill is a reliable tweeter although of course much of it is her interpretation of the current situation. I have read some similar vibes this week from another source (l forget where).
Her predictions are all possible IMO, and hopefully not too optimistic.

It's good to read info and views from different sources 👍.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The narrative has changed on Russian state TV. Take a look at this from The Times. It pre-dates the explosions at the airfields.

Two propagandists are openly saying (based on instructions from the Kremlin of course) what will happen if Russia loses the war.
This was before the Ukraine drone attacks (if that is what they were) deep inside Russian territory.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Now Russian media have reported the attack on the bombers :

It's worth adding that if Ryazan is within range of Ukrainian drones, then so is Moscow. Ryazan is 200km from Moscow and about equidistant from the Ukrainian border.

I recall reading about 4-6 weeks ago, that Ukraine were working on a new type of drone. This could be it, or it might have been referring to the seaborne drones that have confined the Russian Black Sea fleet to port.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I can recommend digging down to the Walter Report thread just inside @sparkie tweet. It contains lots of 'detail' on what might have been done. Must be part supposition, but worth a read if you have time... although I'm not familiar with the source.
I took your recommendation and I read the Walter Report.

It seems a lot more informed than I am. I'm still not sure what we are dealing with here, drone or plane, or if it really matters. On the clip, you can obviously hear a loud noise as an aircraft (manned or unmanned) goes past pretty low. A few seconds later you see the explosion light up the sky. Then if you listen very carefully, you can just make out the sound of the aircraft, presumably beginning its return journey, before the shockwave of the explosion is heard.

Whatever it was, full marks to Ukraine, or whoever else was involved, if it wasn't Ukraine. It's a turning point, insofar as the west/US have apparently given the green light to offensive operations within Russia. Judging from past behaviour, the Kremlin will be in shock at the effrontery of an attack on mother Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here