Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

That's diplomacy Russian style. How uniquely and profoundly short-sighted and self-defeating.

They are mired in a culture of gangster-like thuggery, with threats, veiled or otherwise, used in everyday business. The rest of the globalised world is a century ahead of them.

They don't realise that in the post-war future that is beyond their comprehension, that the more they send sledgehammers, the number of products and services that Russia will be able to offer, and the number of willing trading partners, will all approximate to zero.

Russia is destroying its own future.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
That's diplomacy Russian style. How uniquely and profoundly short-sighted and self-defeating.

They are mired in a culture of gangster-like thuggery, with threats, veiled or otherwise, used in everyday business. The rest of the globalised world is a century ahead of them.

They don't realise that in the post-war future that is beyond their comprehension, that the more they send sledgehammers, the number of products and services that Russia will be able to offer, and the number of willing trading partners, will all approximate to zero.

The Wagner group is toast. They waltzed into Ukraine, committed atrocities and then ran away when they realised that the UkrainIan’s weren’t intimidated by them. The main players in the Wagner group will start turning up dead in mysterious circumstances as there’s a very long list of people who want them dead.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Keep having entirely over-optimistic thoughts about Putin’s forces being swiftly routed from Ukraine, and I just wish the Ukrainian forces good luck, swift victories and minimal loss of life.
Still a long way to go unfortunately.

Even outside Donbas and Crimea there is still the battles for :

Melitopol ( what horrors will be discovered there ?).
The Zaporizhzhia Nuclear plant.
Berdiansk.

to come.

Ukraine is definitely pausing before going again fairly soon.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Hungary got their exemption from applying some EU oil sanctions on Russia and by amazing coincidence is now ready to accept Sweden and Finland into NATO.

Quid pro quo.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Bizarre that they think that this helps them in some way. It’s indefensible from a diplomatic standpoint and as propaganda only strengthens Ukraine and international resolve.

If they’ve got as little ammo as some reports suggest, they really shouldn’t waste it shooting themselves in the foot.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Yes, but sadly they will always find a few trading partners I fear

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yes, but sadly they will always find a few trading partners I fear
If they do, they will get rinsed.

In the marketplace, an absence of willing buyers for Russian products, assuming they can make any, will force the price down. Conversely, if Russia is desperate for a product that few suppliers will offer them (see Iranian drones), then the prices of those products will rise. I have personally seen a propagandist on Russian state TV complain about the prices of those drones, asking why Russia can't make them itself. The answer is sanctions of course, which are working. But he couldn't say that.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The Wagner group is toast. They waltzed into Ukraine, committed atrocities and then ran away when they realised that the UkrainIan’s weren’t intimidated by them. The main players in the Wagner group will start turning up dead in mysterious circumstances as there’s a very long list of people who want them dead.
Same with the Chechens. Flat track bullies

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I've come to the conclusion that Putin is obviously a lovely guy, a sort of latter day St Francis of Assisi. Benevolent, compassionate, a man with a song in his heart. He sent his troops to de-nazify a neighbouring sovereign state. What a magnanimous gesture ! He's even admitted that he shares the pain of the mothers of the soldiers that are fighting in the Ukraine. Honestly, the Ukrainians are so ungrateful ! Why didn't they welcome their liberators with open arms ? I'm thinking of inviting Vlad over to my flat, to watch 'The death of Stalin'.

Ooooh, A massive gas pipeline explosion near St Petersburg. I wonder if it was just an accident?

This could be a false flag event. Wouldn't be beyond their tactics to blame Ukraine for "attacking" russian infrastructure and hence offers justification to escalate the conflict

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I see that next week is the start of a European ban on the shipping of Russian oil. Not sure how much impact it will have on Russia and no doubt they’ll find a way around it, but I suppose it’s something that’s got to be done. Will be interesting to see how it’s enforced.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I see that next week is the start of a European ban on the shipping of Russian oil. Not sure how much impact it will have on Russia and no doubt they’ll find a way around it, but I suppose it’s something that’s got to be done. Will be interesting to see how it’s enforced.
european registered ships wont be allowed to carry Russian oil, european insurance wont cover other ships, effectivly prohibiting anyone from carrying their oil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here