Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They would also work against civilians, but Russia would struggle to argue that they were aiming at a military target (obviously they'd try). I'm not sure what the rest of the world would respond with - I also wonder if China has had a discussion with Putin about the possibility of using nukes - ie, we'll work with you and support you publicly, as long as no nukes are used.

China will have their own red lines, and I suspect the use of nuclear weapons in any capacity goes way beyond it. China is a big fan of order and stability in the world, and while they enjoy toying with the US (hence their tightly leashed poodle in Pyongyang) they won’t have any interest in upsetting the apple cart permanently. Nuclear weaponry brings the potential for huge, unpredictable consequences and that will be well outside Beijing’s risk appetite. China also knows they’re now the dominant partner, Russia needs China now more than China needs them, and as such Moscow will have to stay in line. Because if Putin goes rogue, even if those around him in the Kremlin don’t take steps to remove the evil house elf, somebody from the Chinese security services will be more than ready to.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I didn't know any of that. This is proper NSC. One minute you're enjoying the discussion; the next minute you realise you're way out of your depth. LOL.

Hehe! An old mate of mine was an artillery gunner based in Germany during the Cold War. Apparently both sides deployed thousands of the ******* things. They were told they could end up firing them, although, they wouldn’t be told if they were or not. Scary shit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Allegedly (unverified) show at least 1 protestor killed by Putins henchman in Moscow. This won’t end well for Putin will it ?

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
My opinion is it was always going to be the people who bought Putin down. The millennials have known nothing other then western influences and it’s been sucked away by that dickhead. The rest of the population WILL collectively bring him down, I think this really is the beginning of the end now… I sincerely hope so.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bit of a sanity check from military boffins, giving analysis of call up details, its 300k, ex service only, targeting particular skills, and will be retrained before deployed. there isnt a new army group about to emerge fresh in Ukraine, and imo not directly related to the referendums (timing is too late).

got me thinking the reaction from Russian public, protests against conscription, leaving the country, when its not general conscription order. has Putin over cooked it and scared his own people?

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
bit of a sanity check from military boffins, giving analysis of call up details, its 300k, ex service only, targeting particular skills, and will be retrained before deployed. there isnt a new army group about to emerge fresh in Ukraine, and imo not directly related to the referendums (timing is too late).

got me thinking the reaction from Russian public, protests against conscription, leaving the country, when its not general conscription order. has Putin over cooked it and scared his own people?

Yes, yes he has IMO.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone else think they released those westerners to get them out of the way should he press the button and nuke Kiev

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1572625388265938944[/tweet]

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Anyone else think they released those westerners to get them out of the way should he press the button and nuke Kiev

It was a 2-4-1 prisoner swap by the Russians.

We got 5, they got 10.

“The Britons were released in a prisoner swap of 10 detainees following mediation by Saudi Arabia” BBC

Thank god for Saudi Arabia. We have so much to thank them for.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It was a 2-4-1 prisoner swap by the Russians.

We got 5, they got 10.

“The Britons were released in a prisoner swap of 10 detainees following mediation by Saudi Arabia” BBC

Thank god for Saudi Arabia. We have so much to thank them for.

Well they are good at laying down arms, or was that hands:facepalm:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

No, I reckon he did it to appear like a merciful man before he nukes Ukraine. I have very little doubt he is going to use tactical nukes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here