Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I’ve lost patience with Russia now. He’s all mouth and no trousers. He thought a thunderous invasion would intimidate the world. It did not. He’s failing. And he’s making more and more threats to seem like he’s got the balls to win this war.
I say raze Moscow to the ground and mass NATO troops and weapons along every inch of Russia’s borders with NATO countries.

Bring the fight to him. He’d shit his pants and his people would hate him.
Blimey... at what point did you actually have patience with them then, and why?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Wow page 4

Anyway, is this true I wonder or just propaganda to encourage a similar act.

A failed attempt to bump him off, interesting

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...a-war-latest-updates-putin-azovstal-soldiers/

I suppose it's not surprising. He must have so many enemies just in Russia, never mind the countries he has invaded. As we have only just heard about this, which happened at the start of the war, you do wonder if there have been other attempts or plots against him, which we haven't yet heard of.

There are several other interesting articles in that Telegraph article, e.g. the 'F*ck the war' chanting at the rock concert. Are we seeing further evidence of fractures in Russian society? Young vs old?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I suppose it's not surprising. He must have so many enemies just in Russia, never mind the countries he has invaded. As we have only just heard about this, which happened at the start of the war, you do wonder if there have been other attempts or plots against him, which we haven't yet heard of.

There are several other interesting articles in that Telegraph article, e.g. the 'F*ck the war' chanting at the rock concert. Are we seeing further evidence of fractures in Russian society? Young vs old?

I'm sure there is, like in this country. In the same way the old will hold sway. I reckon with Putin, his enemies have mostly been deposed, but the people he needs to fear are the ones who have their eyes on his job, and are prepared to kill for it.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm sure there is, like in this country. In the same way the old will hold sway. I reckon with Putin, his enemies have mostly been deposed, but the people he needs to fear are the ones who have their eyes on his job, and are prepared to kill for it.

That sounds reasonable.

However the (alleged) assassination attempt on Putin is reported by Ukrainian intelligence to have come from the Caucasus. How reliable that is, I have no idea. It might have happened, might not have happened,
or it might have been engineered by a political rival to Putin inside the Kremlin, or by Putin himself, for a reason we can't begin to fathom. Who knows?

What I do know is that a concert hall full of people chanting 'f*ck the war', is not normal behaviour in Russia. Couple that with the reported assassination attempt above, and the astonishing speech by the retired general on Russian TV last week (which may have been planned), and you've got unexpected things happening. Stay tuned!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Why do I get a sense that we are being softened up by our media in preparation for a Ukrainian defeat?

It's all starting to feel like 'compromise' (i.e. let Putin have the Donbas) is on the horizon. Any sniff of victory and he and his cronies will be back to do the same in the Arctic, Moldova, Baltic etc. etc.

And he has Trump already playing to his tune by refocusing US public minds on divisive domestic policy. Trump really is an unconscious stooge in Putin's strategy - he is so complicit or dumb. Johnson will also jump ship at the first sign of a US policy shift.

I just feel uneasy about it all.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Why do I get a sense that we are being softened up by our media in preparation for a Ukrainian defeat?

It's all starting to feel like 'compromise' (i.e. let Putin have the Donbas) is on the horizon. Any sniff of victory and he and his cronies will be back to do the same in the Arctic, Moldova, Baltic etc. etc.

And he has Trump already playing to his tune by refocusing US public minds on divisive domestic policy. Trump really is an unconscious stooge in Putin's strategy - he is so complicit or dumb. Johnson will also jump ship at the first sign of a US policy shift.

Quite, Turkey not being helpful in still threatening to veto the entry into NATO of those two well known terrorist States Finland and Sweden...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putin is piling everything he has into capturing Severodonetsk.

If he does this he can claim victory in pushing Ukraine out of all of Luhansk Oblast.

He can claim to have "liberated" the entire so-called Peoples' Republic of Luhansk.

Interesting that soldiers of the so-called Peoples' Republic of Donetsk are refusing to become cannon fodder outside Donetsk Oblast in Luhansk. Putin loves using the Luhansk and Donetsk soldiers as their casualties don't count in the official Russian death toll.

While this goes on a push by Ukraine to boot Russia out of Kherson Oblast north of Crimea has started. Vlad the Defiler is now so short of tanks he has had to send 50+ year old museum pieces to Kherson. Horse drawn gun carriages next ???

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

sounds like reality. Ukraine probably cant push back the Russian forces without extensive additional hardware and personel. once Russia stop their Donbas offensive they'll turn to focus on Odessa. Ukraine can hold them back but at cost of not being able to mount offensives in the east. so then whats the end game? Ukraine and Russia in a stalemate, permanent state of war. meanwhile large exports of food oils and grain are effectily blocked. if europe does go through with a oil and gas embargo they are economically stuffed, so pressure for some sort of end will grow.

note on that front, while gas prices are falling from peaks, its summer and that will dramatically reverse upwards in the autumn. oil is $120 this morning and demand will be going up as China opens up production after lockdowns.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Sadly it looks like that, after their initial setbacks, the Russians are getting their act together, just as the Soviets did in the Winter War against Finland in 1939/40. (That ended with Finland ceding about 10% of their territory to the USSR). Already Ukraine is dropping down the news schedules, the recent stories dominating the headlines have been Partygate and a bog-standard US mass shooting.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Sadly it looks like that, after their initial setbacks, the Russians are getting their act together, just as the Soviets did in the Winter War against Finland in 1939/40. (That ended with Finland ceding about 10% of their territory to the USSR). Already Ukraine is dropping down the news schedules, the recent stories dominating the headlines have been Partygate and a bog-standard US mass shooting.
……not forgetting too the most important news about the Johnny Depp court case.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Don’t lose heart, no room for Defeatism and don’t underestimate how costly Ukraine will make it for Russia the further west they come which will expedite the impact on NATO countries also to provide further aid.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
'Russian oil: EU agrees compromise deal on banning imports'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61638860

'Russian seaborne oil to be banned by the end of the year, with a temporary exemption for pipeline oil. Two-thirds of Russian oil arrives by sea.'

"By the end of the year". So no rush then. Presumably, until then the EU will continue to give Putin a billion Euros a day (ish) so he can continue to prosecute his war against Ukraine.

Shameful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here