Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Putin has said the West will pay a high price if it imposes an embargo on Russian oil.

Er No, Vlad, we won't be paying anything and you won't be getting any of our money - that's the way embargo's work... :facepalm:

i recall if oil is embargoed, Russia will stop gas supplies. we'll pay a lot more for gas when that happens, so he's kinda right on this one.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
i recall if oil is embargoed, Russia will stop gas supplies. we'll pay a lot more for gas when that happens, so he's kinda right on this one.

The West can access gas from other sources, but he can't access money from anywhere else for his hydrocarbon based economy so worth the short term pain?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Another Russian Colonel killed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61484222

Not yet but maybe in the next few days. Seems like he is on a suicide mission.

If you read the replies on that thread, people fall into one of two camps:

Camp 1: He's going to fall out of a window soon.
Camp 2: It was all planned and authorised. I'm in this camp. It's quite simple. When he was talking about the Ukrainian weapons being better than Russian ones, there was footage of them on the split screen. So the TV producers knew what he was going to say, and backed it up with footage while he said it.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Camp 2: It was all planned and authorised. I'm in this camp. It's quite simple. When he was talking about the Ukrainian weapons being better than Russian ones, there was footage of them on the split screen. So the TV producers knew what he was going to say, and backed it up with footage while he said it.

Camp 1: As Harry Wilson's T would say: defenestrated.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Another Russian Colonel killed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61484222

Not yet but maybe in the next few days. Seems like he is on a suicide mission.

Referring to Ukrainian soldiers, he noted: "The desire to defend their motherland very much exists. Ultimate victory on the battlefield is determined by the high morale of troops who are spilling blood for the ideas they are ready to fight for”

He uses the word motherland, which is highly significant, that is tantamount to saying they are defending their country, and further more I understand why they are so fiercely defending it.

Very significant, hopefully a significant number of people will start to question this “ special operation “ especially those who are now seeing their young sons return in body bags, Putin is running out of time.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I think individuals and institutions are tentatively starting to distance themselves

Sent from my M2101K9G using Tapatalk

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse

Interesting return of Kremlin watching, brings me back to my teenage years. I agree with those who do not believe this was a "accidental" interview, but part of larger comms strategy on the war. Along with the pro-kremlin bloggers who start to openly criticize the war's execution around the botched river crossing. What is not clear at all (at least to me) is what is behind these voices, and what is the endgame. I suppose it is either to prepare for the "next phase" of the conflict (worst case) or (hopefully) to plant the seeds for an exit. The latter I suspect is wishful thinking.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think individuals and institutions are tentatively starting to distance themselves

Sent from my M2101K9G using Tapatalk

Quite possibly.

But something else seems to be happening.

I've noticed - I think - that Khodarenok's use of the word 'war' has gone (at least in the version the BBC has published), and also when anchor Olga Skabeyeva divulged in a seemingly unguarded moment, that Senator Rand Paul's resistance to the lend-lease arrangement of western weaponry to Ukraine, would end on Wednesday (I'm sure that raised a few eyebrows, i.e. how would she have known that?) - that slip of the tongue has also disappeared.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Quite possibly.

But something else seems to be happening.

I've noticed - I think - that Khodarenok's use of the word 'war' has gone (at least in the version the BBC has published), and also when anchor Olga Skabeyeva divulged in a seemingly unguarded moment, that Senator Rand Paul's resistance to the lend-lease arrangement of western weaponry to Ukraine, would end on Wednesday (I'm sure that raised a few eyebrows, i.e. how would she have known that?) - that slip of the tongue has also disappeared.

I have a strong sense that the walls will be closing in on Prickin in the next week as his "loyal" fops (who seemed to think they knew) start to realise wtf is going on.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I’ve lost patience with Russia now. He’s all mouth and no trousers. He thought a thunderous invasion would intimidate the world. It did not. He’s failing. And he’s making more and more threats to seem like he’s got the balls to win this war.
I say raze Moscow to the ground and mass NATO troops and weapons along every inch of Russia’s borders with NATO countries.

Bring the fight to him. He’d shit his pants and his people would hate him.

Glad your not in charge.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I have a strong sense that the walls will be closing in on Prickin in the next week as his "loyal" fops (who seemed to think they knew) start to realise wtf is going on.

In the last days of any dictator, there comes a point where their inner circle have to start making a choice, stick with them to the bitter end in the hope something turns it around, or find an excuse to bail out and seek their own exit strategy (preferably without finding themselves up against a wall somewhere). In “The Last Days of Hitler”, Hugh Trevor-Roper outlined this in the Fuhrerbunker in early May 1945. Some stayed, others escaped over the marshes outside Berlin and went looking for some Americans to hand themselves into.

When we start to hear of senior Kremlin officials reporting “I’ll health” or disappearing mysteriously without explanation (or even publicly turning on Putin, although that would be less likely unless they found a route right out of Russia) then we’ll know it’s nearly time to start measuring him up for a wooden suit.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In the last days of any dictator, there comes a point where their inner circle have to start making a choice, stick with them to the bitter end in the hope something turns it around, or find an excuse to bail out and seek their own exit strategy (preferably without finding themselves up against a wall somewhere). In “The Last Days of Hitler”, Hugh Trevor-Roper outlined this in the Fuhrerbunker in early May 1945. Some stayed, others escaped over the marshes outside Berlin and went looking for some Americans to hand themselves into.

When we start to hear of senior Kremlin officials reporting “I’ll health” or disappearing mysteriously without explanation (or even publicly turning on Putin, although that would be less likely unless they found a route right out of Russia) then we’ll know it’s nearly time to start measuring him up for a wooden suit.

Alright, but the situations aren't comparable.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Alright, but the situations aren't comparable.

I didn't say they were, it was more of a generalisation (based on the most famous scenario) of what happens. You can equally apply this to any other dictators forced from power - Mugabe, Ceaușescu etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have to confess that I am concerned about the eventual fate of the Mariupol prisoners....

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So that Russian **** who shot an unarmed pensioner has pleaded guilty in the war crimes trial.

Life imprisonment beckons for the little shit. I'm sure he'll have great fun in a Ukranian prison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here